Canon in D my cover

Discussion in 'IGT Soundtrack - Your Band, Your Gig, Your Music' started by jackdaws, Dec 5, 2006.

1. jackdaws

jackdaws New Member

hi guys...dunno why but i really like the song Canon in D and was very impressed by Jerry C's rock based arrangement for the same...here is a feeble attempt at the song...i'm not good at guitar playing and therefore i cannot match verbatim to Jerry C's version but well here is an attempt...do lemme know what u think of it...it is not the complete version and will be forever under update mode..hehehe

Canon in D cover

geniusoid and bjr like this.
  2. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Sounds nice and the backing track is really awesome.

Like you said, Jerry C's version is pretty neat and this doesn't match up but it's still good.

3. jackdaws

jackdaws New Member

thanks man...ur right the backing track and funtwo's version is kick ass...

4. shak

shak Harrr!

pretty nice ..

1:40 into the song .... very impressive!!

work on it a little more .. i am sure you can do even better

5. hmm cool... nice one dude...

6. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

^ He's right!
    A very good effort...keep it up, and next time perform the sweeps, they are not that difficult.

7. geniusoid

geniusoid Acoustic Alchemist

Pretty good attempt, especially coz u state tht its just a trial attempt...hope to hear the final one soon....

U missed tht sweep in the middle tht leaves a lotta silence - i found tht sweep confusing, so i made up something on my own :grin:

Here is the sOided version - mine's a teaser too, coz i never got time to finish the rest...

https://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=4136071&q=lo

I like the tone of ur effects though - mine sounds shrill...

8. geniusoid

Oh i forgot...... Reps for the attempt!

9. jackdaws

jackdaws New Member

thanks guys for ur opinion....really appreciate it...

@geniusoid - that was a really kewl version man and nice improvisation later too. with the fast work...but i think the chorus part is a lil different from the original right???? for the sound...add a bit of sustain...dont worry about the effects processor...u can get the sound u want by playing with post production work...what software are u using to mix ur files????...newaysi think it will come out super cool man...look forward to ur complete version soon

10. geniusoid

thanks pal....yeah the chorus part wasnt note to note the same....but i was tryin to figure it out by ear, so some parts i just made them similar to wht it sounds in the original - thought i`ll hang on to this before i fine tune those notes :grin:

I ran the backing track on Winamp, and recorded it on Goldwave.....was kinda choppy, but then i was so very not in the mood to take the tracks in Cubase, record and process and all tht time... Maybe i`ll give it a try with Cubase the next time...

My processor is a Digitech RP50 - not a gr8 piece of equipment, but chalta hai...

Btw, you guys should seriously try to check out Canon in D Major by Trace Bundy on YouTube...he'z too good and damn melodious....not to forget his unique style of playin the instrument.

I`m not sure whether Monte has a version on it too, but try checking for a version by Monte Montgomery.....

These 2 guys are so neat! Tht too on acoustic guitars... :cheers:

11. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

There are a couple of really good covers of the same on www.metacafe.com too.

12. jackdaws

jackdaws New Member

dude...trace bundy's version...no way man...it is so kewll...me dont have the skills to do that mate...hehehe...this one was so difficult to do...they are so gifted...neways these days i'm just amazed by Herman Li and Sam Totman of Dragonforce...check out their solo for the song Though the fire and flames...it is SO KEWLLLLLLLLLL

13. jackdaws

jackdaws New Member

The best cover I have seen is funtwo's version...it was really really impressive

14. geniusoid

Yeah trace is too cool....his style is amazing - check out his "Hot Capo Stew" on YouTube - he has 5 Capos fitted on his acoustic....

U must check MOnte Montgomery too - he is a killer on acoustics..... and just if u get tired of all of them, try to get the Sies Cuerdas version of Mediterranean Sundance - i bet even Mclaughlin and co cudnt have played it tht fast!

15. jackdaws

jackdaws New Member

whew...saw some more of trace bundy and I should say..that was AWESOME...will check out montgomery too...thanks man...u seem to like acoustic more huh

16. geniusoid

Yeah all the way....not much of an electric guitar person....i kinda somewhere feel tht the effects and all make it sound better than wht the player is actually capable of....the acoustic keeps u bare naked - wht u hear is wht the person can play ;)

17. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I disagree. While being an acoustic player myself, I do believe that the purpose of effects is to enhance your playing. It is entirely a different issue that a lot of people use it as cover for what they can't play. Music isn't all about ability on guitar. Effects help to add to the feel at times and isn't the feel what it's all about?

18. jackdaws

jackdaws New Member

hmm i defnintely disagree on that...the styles and choice of sounds are different...as bjr says music is about feelings and emotions and sometimes effects enhances the experience...which is the whole idea i suppose...i think it is unfair to compare and contrast...and optimal usage of effects also calls for some good skillss by itself...nevertheless acoustic playing has a completely different feel to it...:beer:

19. geniusoid

i aint talking abt feel here dudes! Effects can help cover a lotta flaws....playing on an electric is much easier than on an acoustic. I`ve played both and i understand tht quite well. Yes effects can be used to get the feel, and therez a different feel in the sound of an acoustic too, but its much easier for ppl to use distortions and such effects and hide those flaws in those fast shreds....... i was just posting my opinion - to every man his poison..

20. jackdaws

jackdaws New Member

well ur point is interesting...can u give an example (anything)...coz i'm not sure why u feel that effects can cover up errors...for instance if ur off scale it does not matter what effects u have on but the note will sound odd..dont u agree???