can u explain this?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by rust_in_pain, May 12, 2005.

1. rust_in_pain

rust_in_pain <:Rising Rockstar:>

Well u might have experienced this before ,but wen i came accross it i was amazed.didnt find any previous posts explaining this so i thought of creating a new thread.

while holding the guitar infront of the computer screen (so tht i can see any of the strings or all of them directly infront of the monitor)i noticed certain wave forms (wen i plucked them ofcourse)in only those porion of the strings which stood against the monitor.they were something like sin waves with flat tops and bottoms.

couldnt find a reason.can somebody explain this?

2. zohaib

zohaib Shredder

yeah
    wave like
    vibrations m i rite ? :p
    i think thts becoz of light
    try it on tubelight also

3. shak

shak Harrr!

strobe effect is the phenomenon is think....
    i am not sure but i thinks its cuz the CRT screen has a display rate (frequency .. mostly 50Hz,60Hz and 75Hz) .. and when you pluck string in front of the monitor you observe the strobe effect .... the monitor acts like a quick flashing light source and the obviously the string act as an opaque object ..
    as i said before i am not sure.. could be something else

4. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

correct me if im wrong:

basically its got nothing t odo with your montior but urs just seeing how the strings vibrate against a light right? as in ur trying to see the strings cklearly?

in that case - well ya -strings vibrate (like all the trnasverse waves) in sine patterns...

thats the bascic nature of waves...

5. shak

shak Harrr!

^ yes it is ..but if you watch them normally you cannot see the actual wave pattern, becuase the frequency is so large, but if you hold them against the tv or monitor and then look, you will see slow, moving or static waqve pattern .... thats strobe effect i think ..

6. rust_in_pain

so which one happens in real(forget wat ur eyes see):the bigger vibs or the normal ones?

7. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

real??????

its all 'real'- ur eyes arent aplying tricks on u - but since ur monitor bascilly shows u flashes of light at a certain interval - u get to see 'snapshots' of ur string vibrating at those intervals - thus its like a motion capture shot... sharukhs right - the string vibrates at such a high frequency that u cant actually see the sinosuidal pattern.

8. Genesis

Genesis New Member

lamers! It's because of ur pickups. They have magnets in them remember? It's the same effect if u run a magnet over ur screen. When u pluck a string, a field is generated, which has the same effect and causes ripples on ur screen.

9. zohaib

zohaib Shredder

lol
    pickups in acoustic guitar also :p

10. zohaib

zohaib Shredder

genesis better use tht word for yerself :)

11. shak

shak Harrr!

uh oh .....
    tell me .. what field is generated when u pluck the string????
    i know i wont get a reply now, but still i'll make things clear

when u pluck a metallic string, it vibrates in the magnetic field, due to that, a current is induced in the coils which are wound around the magnets, and this produces sound ...
    now if you take matters sooo far, then yes u can say that a very small, almost negligible amount of current is priduced in the string itself, and due to that small current an extremly small magnetic field is also generated around the string itself, but can be ignored,

12. rust_in_pain

hey hey genesis,pickups in accoustic?

13. rust_in_pain

hey hey genesis,pickups in accoustic?

thnx shahrukh

14. h4f0n

h4f0n New Member

Man he doesnt mean ripples on the screen, he means that he actually saw the pattern of vibration of the string and probably what shahrukh is describing is right.

15. light_of_erindi

light_of_erindi New Member

I guess it's due to the interference ...the monitor freq is about 50-60 Hz and the bass strings vibrate at about 440 Hz so if u interfere them u shud get waves of about f1+f2 or f1-f2 ...(i guess..i don't exactly remember the formula :))...it's about 500 Hz....so if u pick th bass (e) string then it's wavelength shud be about 2 cm...which is what i noticed...

any other explainations?!!:)