Can one who learn guitar by himself play better than a professional guitarist?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by susanthom, Nov 17, 2011.

1. susanthom

susanthom New Member

People say that once a person teach himself guitar he can't play better than a professional guitarist? Is that true? Do you know autodidacts play better than professional ones?

2. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

Its just the matter of how well and in proper manner you train urself..

There are few fellow guitarists that i know who dont know any damn theory and are self taught but they can play any given song by just listening. They absolutely dont care bout the scales..modes and other theoretical aspects.

Well its really difficult to say who can play better. Definitely learning theory and other aspects from someone else gives u that extra edge over the self taught ones. You know what you r playing and its really important IMO.

There is also a down side to people who are self taught. They tend to take lot of time to reach that high level of guitarin because they are the people who are kind of lost somewhere in lot of theory and understanding of music...(Well there are many exceptions too....)

Dimebag darrell is probably a self taught guitarist. He is a crazy guitarist. Well heard of Indian Ocean..Sushmit is the guy who is a self taught as well...Excellent classical melodies and riffs..Also Slash...

3. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

The concept of A being better than B is a gray area. What parameters do you judge on? Beyond the basics of theory, you really cannot be 'trained' and do need to find your own sound. It depends on the ear for music/innate ability as well.

Assuming there were parameters to judge on, even so you couldn't really compare 2 different people. A better question would probably be: Would a person who learnt guitar by himself be better than if he were taught?

My answer to that would be "maybe".

4. wylder

wylder Member

Again, depends on what self taught is. You certainly don't need a music degree to turn pro but you need some kind of basic lessons.

Dime's dad was a country musician. He used to compete in guitar competitions as a teen and was later barred from competing due to his domination on guitars. You can't be that good so early due to wisdom that dawns upon you one fine day. He had a good knowledge of melody and harmony (which is theory) but probably no music school education.

Practically speaking, if you are an absolute beginner go to a guitar class and get your basics right. Once you develop a basic ear for music you can learn stuff on your own. This would mean:
    - for a rhythm guitarist you hear a song and you can guess the (basic four) chords from the movement of the melody
    - for a lead guitarist you can hear a unfamiliar tune and translate that into notes on the neck without much effort

5. Morbid_Angel

Morbid_Angel Sid the sloth

there is no "better". someone who learns through someone else will acquire most of the teacher's skills

someone who learns on their own will develop their own style and will therefore be more "unique" but one can't say if it's better or not.

it ultimately depends on what kind of sh!tty music you end up playing :grin:

6. horsesmouth

horsesmouth Active Member

I'd side the self taught ones. But only if they're dedicated enough to work/practice hard. They can certainly be better than trained ones due to their knowledge of themselves, their strengths.
    They will always play what they'll like, become what they want. Something unique.
    Oh, and I know this cuz I learnt to play by myself.
    Opinions may vary though.
    And yes, Sushmit Sen is probably the best example of this. Anyone here seen their documentary "Leaving home, the life and music of Indian Ocean" ?? Its not only good, but inspiring.

7. Sumanovo razor

Sumanovo razor New Member

it depends on how much research work you do...in order to learn new guitar techniques and lessons...learning by yourself takes time...i still regret the fact that i tried to become a self trained guitarist... ;(...i never used to join a guitar class ...u know why...its just that i wanted to show people that am a self trained guitarist...i was so wrong..i know there must be many others who think like this...just join a guitar class...a good guitar teacher will definately guide you properly...by learning yourself sometimes you tend to inculcate wrong techniques...i remember i used to play my spanish guitar as a hawaiin guitar by putting it on my lap...i see so many guitar players learning for a couple of months play a lot better than me... ;(((if you want any kinda help in finding a good guitar teacher then tell me...i will try my level best to help you...