Can one learn guitar by articles, videos etc on net? Or taking lessons recommended?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by hanifv, May 10, 2007.

1. hanifv

hanifv New Member

Hi, I am going to buy an acoustic guitar soon (still confused!!! go to: https://indianguitartabs.com/showthread.php?t=29498 if you can help me decide)

My question is, can one learn guitar by oneself using the articles, videos, and other resources availble on the net? Or is taking lessons highly recommended?

I am asking this because after buying my guitar I am going to be tight on cash, so joining classes is going to be hard. But I will try my best to join if its *very* *very* important.

I live in Andheri, Mumbai. Who is the best person to learn from around my area and how much approx. will it cost me?

2. i'm_not_neo

i'm_not_neo el valor máximo absoluto

See it isn't impossible to learn without a teacher..but as you go on learning the more advanced guitaring you'll learn the more help you'll need..
    My advice : Buy the guitar and use internet and books to learn the BASICS of guitar.That'll take around 4-6 months (depends) and then go for a teacher..

Sites that'll help:
    www.justinguitar.com
    www.indianguitartabs.com (obviously)
    YouTube videos

Books that'll help:
    There are so many.But I'd recommend:
    1)Learn to play the Guitar (By J.Estella and G.Roberts) Vol.1-5 or 3 atleast
    Each costs about 100.
    2)Search for guitar e-books.A few are here at IGT too,I guess.

Softwares that'll help:
    1)Guitar alchemist free (freeware)
    https://www.download.com/Guitar-Alc...0719.html?part=6260946&subj=dlpage&tag=button

2)Absolute fretborad trainer
    3)Guitar Speed trainer professional
    [I hope you know where to get 2) and 3) ]

I'd say go for a trainer after you learn the basics.There's Crosby at 4 Bunglows Andheri (W).Used to take 150 per session..
    There are some who have never been to a guitar class before and they're doing fine.Like I think paranoid13rohan at IGT...see what they have to say too.

Hope it helps..best of luck..

3. yazi

yazi Banned

I advise just the opposite. Get the basics right with a teacher. And then when you get the techniques correct, you can either go in for teachers or for video lessons. Remember a teacher can greatly speed up learning the basics.

4. angel_of_sin

angel_of_sin bassist.....

^^ yaa yazi is righ........................i am doin da same thing man..................

5. born2tab

born2tab rhythm guitarist

@Neo.

Who says a teacher is required.

Neither slash nor 'Me' have ever go tutored in guitar.
    You just need quantums of dedication and the zeal and the patience for it.

@Hanif-->i can bet there are at least 50 IGTians(including me) who have never gone to a tutor and are good guitarists.
    I am not boasting about myself.But I am the lead guitarist of Wipro Technologies band,bangalore Development Center.
    So now at least that proves that I am a decent guitarist.
    But I never went to a tutor.

But I have been sloggin with the guitar for the past 6 years.And i dint give up even when my guitarin seemed just like a ambulance siren.

You need to have the right matrerial,at least u have IGT now, the right amount of dedication and patience above all to sustain.

And one more thing I missed PRACTICE.

Let the tutor go to hell.

6. yazi

yazi Banned

ZEAL: that is what is required.
    @B2T: you have been playing a long time. Its now 8 months for me.

7. .:SpY_GaMe:.

.:SpY_GaMe:. New Member

never had a teacher but am sure if i had one progress speed would have been faster

youtube video helps.....

8. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

i also have never gone to a guitar teacher.. i have been playing for 1 year and i am much better than some of my friends who are takiong classes for the past 2-3 years.. the sectret to good playing is not classes but PRACTICE and DETERMINATION..
    i have used some books tht have helped me a lot..
    i would recommend "rock disciplne" by John Petrucci (lead guitarist of Dream Theatre)
    Its a great book and comes with audio... it helped me a lot to develop speed and accuracy...
    Other softwares and Books have been mentioned by Im_Not_Neo..
    if you need any e-book or software.. p.m me..

9. hanifv

hanifv New Member

Thanks a lot people. All your advice is highly appreciated.

I am going to buy a guitar, try and learn on my own and see how it goes.

10. i'm_not_neo

@born2tab:

11. born2tab

born2tab rhythm guitarist

^^oops...
    missed that part somehow:eek::

12. i'm_not_neo

^hehe..its okay man..with a suggestion so long, that was inevitable..

13. saurabhrocks

saurabhrocks New Member

no need to go to a tutor,just learn the basics by urself ,books etc there's so much matter on the net that it'll last u a lifetime.
    and after u get some grip on the guitar u may go to a teacher although that's not important
    cause ur learning guitar for fun's sake.if u go to a teacher u'll miss out on the challenge of teaching urself,

if u get an idiot teacher right from the start(of course u can't tell a good one from a bad one when ur still a beginner ) u'll screw ur playing skills

start urself ok

14. freakish

freakish New Member

CAn any1 provide me with Crosby's contact number.

15. vignesh.iyer05

vignesh.iyer05 New Member

hey god_of_guitar...dude cn u suggest me some really good books and softwares wich cn teach me all the basics of the guitar...cuz i dont know ne1 at all......n i wish to learn it by myself