cabinet modelling

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by Ibanezed, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Ibanezed

Ibanezed New Member

can anyone enlighten me on what is amp cabinet modelling supposed to be? what would happen if i alter the settings?

2. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

A major part of your tone is through your Speakers. The size of the speakers, the shape of the speaker cabinet and its dimension, having open / closed backs, air flow inside all determine the final tone. A lot of mids and bass are as a result of your speakers. When people record, they keep a mic in front of the speaker cabinets and take this mic output to the recording console. A lot of digital processor have this thing called Cabinet Emulation or Cabinet Modelling which helps you to go direct to the recording console or even to you PC. Hope this helps....

3. rohit

rohit New Member

^yes it helps.thnx ronnie.

4. Ibanezed

Ibanezed New Member

so you mean ..setting the cabinet of the amp will help me get a better sound while recording?

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ In a way yes.
    But then, you may like the raw tone more than cabinet emulator tone.

+1

In short: cabinet modelling is like an effect that simulates the tone you would get from micing a speaker cabinet.

6. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

Our very own Encyclopedia on Guitaring ...Ronnie BABA....Apki JAI !!!

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Godamn!
    where is my reply?

8. ronnieanand

Hail....The real encycopedia :nw: :nw: :nw:

9. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Funny!
    Now I can see my post.
    :shock:

On seconds thoughts:
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts" - Bertrand Russell
    :grin:
    Thats me (fool/fanatic).

10. guitarfreak_106

guitarfreak_106 New Member

what is the diff btw an amp, tube and a cabinet? i have a stranger 20W. what category does this fall under? also tell me something about preamp, valves - some terms I picked from another forum.

11. ronnieanand

Your 20W thingy is a Guitar Amp. For the other things, please Google and find out. It's more fun when you find things yourself.

12. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ Absolutely.
    Amp = amplifier, it amplifies teh signal strength. The signal which comes from your guitar pickups, so that it can drive large speakers (and make sound).

Tube = vacuum tube valve, an active electronic component that you needn't bother about. Usually triodes and pentodes are referred to as tube, though no on is stopping you from calling a vcuum tube diode as tube. The triodes and pentodes are the most important component in an amplifier.

Cabinet = box which houses speakers. Though, usually, speakers along with the box are referred to as cabinet.

Your Stranger 20W has built-in cabinet and uses a solid state amplifier instea of tube amplifier.
    Since it has both amplifier as well as cabinet built-in, you may call it : combo amp.

Valves = t00bs in guitaring terminology

Preamp = pre amplifier.

13. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

wah alpha's catching upto BABA's expertise :grin:

14. axeman1986

axeman1986 New Member

It falls under the "piece-of-shit" category.

15. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

under piles of it, not just a piece :p:

but technically it falls under the (solid state) combo amp category

16. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Well actually, Stranger and Kustom are more or less flat voiced amps.
    So if you got a sansamp sort of modeller + DI box, you can make stranger sound pretty decent.

But otherwise, it sounds as shitty as a flat voiced amp can for a guitar.
    :barf:

17. ronnieanand

That's plain audacity....Not everybody needs to own a JCM or for that matter be able to afford a JCM like you. If you cant answer, then stfu than insulting somebody's gear like this in a forum.

18. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

Yes,I agree.Insulting people who learn on mediocre gear is kinda cheap to do.

19. axeman1986

axeman1986 New Member

Huh? I get heat for being honest? What would you rather hear me say? That it's a great amp? You know it's rubbish yourself. No one NEEDS to own a JCM. And everyone who owns a Stranger pretty much knows that it's a piece of shit. In a little while the poster will know it himself. It's a god-damn open forum. Who are you to tell me to stfu? Free speech bitch. Free speech.

20. ronnieanand

For a beginner with Rs.2000 budget to buy a guitar amp, what would you suggest. An Engl, Diesel or Dirty Boy. And if somebody owns them, you needn't insult the person for owning it be it bad or even the worst. Free speech never means freedom to insult. Understand Free speech before you comment.