Buying my first guitar...Need your help1

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by arun.s, Sep 14, 2008.

1. arun.s

arun.s New Member

Hey Guys,

Started learning a few days ago. Joined classes, they provide the guitar there. I want to buy an acoustic now. So, Please suggest me a good guitar for a beginner like me.

2. sukrut

sukrut God Guitarist

mention your budget....

if its upto 3k then you can go for the signature jumbo or the pluto acoustic or the hobner semi acoustic.....

all of them are good.....

and make sure you take your teacher along with you while buying the guitar!

3. arun.s

arun.s New Member

Yeah, My budget is around 3K-4K!

Also, How good is a Granada in that budget?

4. avi.singh

avi.singh 6 strings lover

purchase any guitar..but should have precautions
    as it is initial stage as U told so, if invest money and after six month it would get bend or buzz...not worthy...
    so always be care full for Ur instrument...

5. arun.s

arun.s New Member

Also, Any other things I should ask for when buying the guitar?

6. skr_kolkata

skr_kolkata New Member

If you are from Kolkata, I can suggest you a shop called "Signature" at Kalighat.

regards,

7. rahulp

rahulp **Fallen Angel**

I would say buy economical, but dont go in for dirt cheap lame stuf either. You might find one for thousand bucks, but most chances are that it will be very difficult to play and progress wit such an instrunment.

Things to look for:

Action: Distance between the strings and the fretboard. Check on the 12th fret - the distance should not be too high or too low (Note that all six strings will have a different action relative to each other, so dont worry abt that).

Fretboard:
    - Avoid guitars with a glossy varnish on the fretboard, if you ever come across any. A lot of cheap stuff comes with this shiny coating of paint, that does nothing but cover up for the poor quality of wood.
    - Also, play all over the fretboard, see if you feel its comfy and even surfaced. If there are too many creaks/tiny cracks, avoid it.
    - A guitar's fretboard warps over time (bends) due to the tension of the strings n some other factors; check that the fretboard is straight from top to bottom. It could be difficult to really assess this correctly, so better take someone experienced alongwith you.

Body:
    - Look at all joints and corners/borders. If you see any blots, or uneven joints, or knots..look at the next guitar.
    - The top of the body, and the back side of the body should be made of two different types of wood. The back one should be of a denser/thicker wood than the top. To test this, tap with your knuckles lightly on each side and see if the tap on the back was heavier sounding.
    - Generally see to it that with everything else given, the wood feels solid and not flimsy.

There are loads of other checks & do's n don'ts, but these should take care of basics. For more advanced probing, take along someone who knows guitars well.. maybe your guitar teacher. A decent Grenada should cover these points in my opinion.

8. arun.s

arun.s New Member

^^ Thanks so much. Will keep those points in mind.

One of my friends was also suggesting me to go for a Granada. Checked Bajaao and this one seemed good. Will see if I can find this is Hyderabad!

9. sandeepm05

sandeepm05 Member

in 3k hobner semiacoustic is gud . if u have uoto 5k budget then yamaha is gud , it sounds really gud....

10. sukrut

sukrut God Guitarist

i suggest you dont buy this granada since its not a cutaway.......you wouldnt be able to play the higher frets which is a real bummer! so i suggest you go in for a cutaway.........

11. arun.s

arun.s New Member

^^ K! Maybe this would be better then!

12. sukrut

sukrut God Guitarist

that would be a wise choice.....but since you're willing to go upto 4k then you can buy something similar at a higher pricerange.........

13. arun.s

arun.s New Member

Was also looking at some Pluto's and this one looked good. Overshoots my budget a bit but will consider it's worth it. What do you say?

btw, Thanks again. You are of great help :)

14. ojas25

ojas25 New Member

I have this pluto guitar. It is amazing. go and get it :)

15. sukrut

sukrut God Guitarist

yup i've played this guitar and it has a supreme fretboard!! go for it!

16. arun.s

arun.s New Member

K...I guess I'll get that! Would it safe to but from bajaao itself? I don't know where I'd find this, here in Hyderabad. Can I get a better price on this?

17. sukrut

sukrut God Guitarist

i dont know much about ordering it online......but i've heard that its safe to order from bajaoo.....

just have a look around the city and see if you can find this guitar...

the only places i know where they sell this guitar is in goa, mumbai and delhi.......