Buying Bass Guitar - need feedback

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by sanjivdas, Dec 12, 2006.

1. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

Guys,

I am buying a bass guitar. Since this will be my first bass, max I want to spend is 15K. Need your valuable feedback on -

1. Brand and model to buy
    2. 4 or 5 string - advantages and disadvantages
    3. Active electronics - advantages and disadvantages

I play classic rock, reggae etc. Palm size is ok, but fingers are on the shorter side. Am not going to be in tapping or stuff, but might use slap bass once in a while. Would appreciate your feedback a lot, but please do not ask me to up my budget. Also, if anyone in Bangalore has a good used bass for sale, I am open to that too.

2. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

get bobby to make you a custom one...with 15k u can get a deadly one made..i heard about one , which i guy had made for 18k....supposed to be AWESOME....go check it out!

3. Chi

Chi B.D. Fisher

if u earn, y dun u wait a little, and go for the fender jazz or precision bass at abt 36k and then live happily ever after!

if u dun earn then buy them second hand..ive played em and they are outa this world. or u can chk out ibanez basses. they might suit you..

4. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

bobby's basses can kill all other basses....within a 15k radius! ...lol...if u want you could wait for the LTD basses....they will be kickass too

5. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

Bought

Well I do earn, but its a gift, so can't fleece her too much. Also, this will be my first bass, so no point in going for a Fender and then losing big money selling it off to the vultures ( who I know will be keeping a close watch and praying for my failure he he). Also did not want to go for a cheap bass, in case I did succeed in picking it up, I do not want to regret six months down the line.

SO..... bought the Ibanez GSR 390. Its got a natural wood (walnut finish) and has a 2 band EQ, with a P style pickup for normal play and a J type for slap and bright play. Before you ask, cost me 14800 at Bhargava's Mumbai (no one in Bangalore had that). Also bought a hard flight case for 4K alongwith it. I already have a Zoom 506II, so now I need to sort out an amp. I wonder if I'll be able to play it through my 10W marshall? maybe if I change the speakers to a 8 or 10 inch one?

6. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

10" or 12" I'd say... even then you'll need to do some serious EQ to get a nice response.

7. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

I can EQ it from my processor, as well as the guitar. Does it play on the 6 inch woofers?

8. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

I don't know what the response will be like, you could try it out.

9. Double Click

Double Click New Member

U can play it on any size speaker... But if u really want to appreciate the Bass, u should get urself a nice 12".

10. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

Hey sanjiv dada, congrats on the new bass, why dont you buy a small amp for the bass instead of messing with your guitar amp ?

11. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

Hey Devil, thanks. I have two guitar amps, so I was trying to utilise one instead of having it lie idle. when I get a little better with the bass I'll definitely buy a better amp, but for now, i want to make it work on my guitar amp. I'm making a cabinet with a 10 inch driver, and I'll connect it in parallel to the 6 inch in my Marshall 10, so i should get quite a good response because of lowered impedance and bigger surface area (10 + 6 inches). Lets see how it goes, wish me luck.

12. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

^Good Luck ;)

13. LEFTY_GUITARIST

LEFTY_GUITARIST -= M®. §öU†|-|ÞäW =-

hey laneymaney, can u plz gimmi some info bout dis Bobby guy??

im plannin to get a good bass....around 15-20k range....mah only option is kramer n fender squire imported from singapore..as im left handed........but im nt kinda sure bout it....so plz suggest...

i have a custom 6 string bass right now from braganzas kolkata....so im also thinkin bout getting a branded one..

14. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

umm ok! id love to boast about bobby.

He lives in yelahanka (pretty far away from the central city)

He makes really good guitars. He's been making guitars for the guy from Kryptos(bass) and many more bands that have slipped my mind. With 20k he can make u a KILLER bass guitar. He gets all his parts from abroad - Pickups , Tuners , Bridges etc etc. He gets the wood from OOTY , i think. U could go to his house and check out some of the guitars hes made. His latest addition to the family is a Carvin-Like-Ibanez. Its amazing to play. Go check it out. He takes 15-20 days to make ur bass. And it will be worth every day of waiting. U could probably tell him what you want for pickpus , wood , bridges, tuners etc. So its a total custom guitar.And since ur left handed , it must be really hard to get a branded guitar here. So bobby is a pretty damn good option. I suggest u go check out his guitars first, Sit down with him and plan...cus he'll make anything you want!

If u want his Mob.No...Ill PM it to you,
    LaneyManey

15. LEFTY_GUITARIST

thnx man.,....plz PM me his no.

but this"yelahanka" place.......isnt it near banglore???im from kolkata.....so how the hell can i go there to check his basses??????maaan......

....dosnt hewhave a site or any pics of his guitars on net????????

16. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

no he hasnt built a site yet. He's not into major production like u think...he's just like one of us...that makes guitars on request. Call him and speak to him..

17. Johny Bravo

Johny Bravo The Boy Genius!

Dude can u PM me his number as well? Im from Pakistan, so i'll have to call him there. But im really interested in getting a custom 5 stringer, probably fretless. Thnks man.

18. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

sent :) ...u wont regret getting a custom guitar....custom guitar pwn...too bad i cant get one :S

19. LEFTY_GUITARIST

y cant you get one??:p:
    but itz bout the craftmanship and finish tht sperates a custom here from branded ones.....