Buying Amp.. Need Advice

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by the_NTt, Jul 4, 2007.

1. the_NTt

the_NTt New Member

Hi,

I am interested in buying a Tube Amp and I can stretch my budget upto 15K. I'm mostly into Rock and Blues stuff.

I would be using it as a practice amp and not really for gigs. Has anyone had any experience with the Vox AD30VT ?? :confused: What other options do I have ??

Need your suggestion guys..

cheers,

2. umangu

umangu New Member

I've been doing the same research myself and I'd originally thought about the Marshall combos TSL and DSLs.

But a pro (not a store-keeper) recommended I buy a Fender. They're generally cheaper too. He said they're more versatile than Marshalls, that have a bakwaas clean channel, which makes it hard to play the blues on.

I am even keen on Line 6 Flexton III, but my friend the pro said that even a small tube amp would be better than a top of the range solid state (and louder!).

I'm gonna go play a few Fenders and Marshalls before I make up my mind.

VOX's are cool, but I haven't had any experience with them myself.

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

There is one guy who lurks here by the name Raj Hendrix.

He got a Laney t00b amp recently fro 22 or 25K.

4. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Guys, I played a Peavey JSX Mini Collossol (I might have the spelling wrong) today. Best small tube amp after my Orange TT. ***y.

5. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

The Vox AD series is a hybrid modelling amp IIRC , albeit one with very good reviews

6. god_of_guitar

god_of_guitar New Member

the vox is not a full tube amp.. but in ur budget it is one of the best u can fiond.. i dont think any tube amps are available for 15k here...

7. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

@Life_sans_death: dude! you have a Tiny Terror??!!!!

thank you.

on my comments on the Laney, follow this thread

https://indianguitartabs.com/showthread.php?t=30333

@umangu: living in australia, you have a wide variety of choices that we dont around here, so im kinda jealous of you...so any chances of buying a marshall or a fender(although i believe onstage has the fender hot rod deluxe for 45k) and most of the amps over here are quite overpriced. the laney being an exception since shipping from UK isnt as bad as US(its available for 520 dollars in USA and 24k here).

the cheapest option for an amp over here is the Laney LC15R which is actually quite a good buy if you're into rock and roll...refer to the link above for my review of the LC15R.

As for the Vox AD30VT, its a hybrid tube amp with a tube preamp and a solid state power amp which pretty much destroys the whole tube thing since u dont get that meaty power tube distortion.

anyway if you're feeling lazy to go into the thread, here's my review:

8. SiriusB

SiriusB New Member

Is that $1500.00 you have to spend?
    Is it versatality you are after or just a good sounding tube amp?
    What styles for the most part would you be practing on it?

9. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ OMG!
    for 1500 USD I can get Marhsal Superlead clones.

10. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

@raj: Ya, it was the only amp I could squeeze into my luggage. I am obsessed with Orange amps. I used to have a 2nd hand Rockr30 worth 400 GBP.

And for 1500 I would get a Mesa Boogie

11. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

damn! nice! and u fukr! u were acting so jealous when i was talking about the laney!! haha! post some clips man! where do u put up waise?

12. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Am in Sikkim now. Moving to Shillong soon.

13. umangu

umangu New Member

Raj man, you don't know how confusing the choice can get. Every store has it's own brands and different models under those brands.

If that budget is 1500 USD, you can get a really good deal. I recently saw a Marshall reissue of the Hendrix stack selling for half price at $1500, and that's Aussie dollars!

I admire you guys for lugging back amps from the states; I hate carting my gear around in the car!

14. the_NTt

the_NTt New Member

Thanks Raj and everyone for ur advice ...

I guess being in India and the kinda budget that I have... looks like I'll have to settle for the Vox..

Will post some pics & clips as soon as I get one.. :)

15. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

dude! dont do that! save up a little more and get the real thing! worth every penny! and its only a matter oh 6-7 grand more...not like u have to save up twice that amount! and u can easily mic it up for small to medium sized gigs unless ure planning to play woodstock or something soon.
    plus a 15 watt tube amp is as good as a 50 watt solid state(the vox is a 30 watter) with much better quality! those babies sing! go for the laney lc15r. trust me on this!

@umangu: dude! u should feel lucky! whats your budget? and what kinda music you play? ive done enough research to give u good advice :)

16. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

raj.hendrix.consultant

17. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

^where are my clips of the TT! and where do u stay, im planning a robbery soon :)

18. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Your clips of the TT? Last I heard it was mine. :grin:

Will post em soon. And Its insured.

19. raj.hendrix

raj.hendrix New Member

well, the amp maybe yours..i asked for the clips so the CLIPS belong to me :p:

Hey! thats perfect!!! ill steal yours, you get a new one...you happy, me also happy!! what say? :)

20. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Your Clips? Last I heard it was belching on my beer. :grin:

Will post em soon. BTW, its insured.