buying a guitar

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by samarthgupta, Jun 18, 2008.

1. samarthgupta

samarthgupta New Member

buying my second guitar

hi guys ....i am about to buy an electric guitar pricing within 12000...i hav a givson acoustic ..i am now an intermediate player and i manage playin lead solos such as november rain, stairway to heaven...........please tell me about which guitar shud i buy....i hav seen many such as yamaha pacifica, givson 1000....etc......shud i buy a semi solid shaped guitar?? like givson black diamond.......

2. sukrut

sukrut God Guitarist

dude.........goin in for the ibanez grg 170dx.........its the best guitar in that range.........i just bought one last month and it rocks :rock:

dont ever ever ever buy a givson........

pacifica are ok............but ibanez rocks!

cheers!
    :beer:

3. samarthgupta

samarthgupta New Member

thanx

thanx dude.....i wont buy a givson.....but tell me one thing does any les paul fall in my range??? or iam like those v shaped ones as well......does any fall in my range

4. eldrichr

eldrichr New Member

les pauls are not cheap, even in the states, so forget about getting on in 12 grand. about theibanez guitars, you'd better watch out there, the quality on some of them is known to be shoddy. check for loose pots and the paint job. also check for dead spots on the wood.

and the v shaped guitars are called flying vees. forget about those too.

you could get a les paul look alike from greg bennett in about 10 grand, though, the avion av1. check it out. fixed bridge, great sustain.

5. samarthgupta

samarthgupta New Member

i saw the greg bennett avion a1 and a3 as well, they both look great ....but not exactly les paul...wat is the basic difference in a les paul and the greg bennett???......one thing i want to know ,,,can we attach a tremolo or do we get it from before in these guitars............and i saw one RAT guitar which was in flying vee shape in bajaao.com.....it was for 12k but now its not there.........will a great bennett do good for my stile?? and where do i get it in delhi??

6. samarthgupta

samarthgupta New Member

now one more query......please do help......now iam thinking to buy a distortion as well........whichone would be best if i happen to buy a greg bennett av1 or av3.......or is it necessary with these guitars????
    thankx anyways man.....u are solving my biiggest problem.....

7. eldrichr

eldrichr New Member

as for distortion, i don't have much experience but the pickups on the greg bennett guitars are supposed to be "duncan design". i dont know what that means but they are not duncans. they'd sound good distorted i expect, but give them a listen for noise.
    the les paul is a fixed bridge guitar, ie no tremolo. but i think you could get a trem installed, but if you want a double locking trem, you'd be squeezed for place to mount the nut. honestly, forget about a tremolo unless you really want one. it's more of a pain than any real gain.

8. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

Greg Bennetts are sweet sounding guitars not suited for metal.

9. samarthgupta

samarthgupta New Member

want to buy a guitar set with in 20000

but iam mainly interested in metal.........so my is problem still not solved....which guitar should i finally buy..........tell me one thing....is that knob on one side of the greg bennett or les paul for distortion??? and is it necessary for me to buy an extra distortion if it is for distortion.......iam confused still............actually my budget is 20000 for guitar distortion and amp.........iam getting an amp for 2500-3000........and an extra distortion with the drum machine will cost somewhere 4500.............try suggest some other combination..............

10. samarthgupta

samarthgupta New Member

but iam mainly interested in metal.........so my is problem still not solved....which guitar should i finally buy..........tell me one thing....is that knob on one side of the greg bennett or les paul for distortion??? and is it necessary for me to buy an extra distortion if it is for distortion.......iam confused still............actually my budget is 20000 for guitar distortion and amp.........iam getting an amp for 2500-3000........and an extra distortion with the drum machine will cost somewhere 4500.............try suggest some other combination..............

[

pacifica are ok............but ibanez rocks!

cheers!
    :beer:[/QUOTE]

11. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

12. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

Buy a Yamaha Pacifica or a fender squier for around 12 - 16 K and buy a Roland Microcube Amp for 5.2K. Pretty decent distortion on it and also many other Useful effects so u wont be needing any extra effects...

13. samarthgupta

samarthgupta New Member

does this guitar have tremolo?????????
    and wat about the greg bennett avion a3 or a6???? to tell you truly i like the les paul a lot.......on the other hand i also like alterations in shapes....can i not get one in 14-15k????....something like those flting vees......now that uve given an idea on amp having effects........and i asked u one more thing.......wat is that knob on a les paul on one corner?>?????

14. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

15. eldrichr

eldrichr New Member

the "switch" on the side of any guitar is a pickup selector switch, controlling which pickup(s) is/are connected to the amplifier. that has nothing to do with distortion. the knobs are the tone and volume controls pots. one pair for each of the pickups

16. samarthgupta

samarthgupta New Member

so the switch is for pickup....can we use both togather or only one at a time??? wat difference does it make??

17. samarthgupta

samarthgupta New Member

ok...ya even i dont want to compromise on the quality of the sound.......so now u tell me the final stuff...........greg bennett avion a3 or ibanez grg170 or 270 or bcrich .....i saw the official website of BC Rich but dint get know about the prices.,........can u tell me some link to bc rich guitars?

18. eldrichr

eldrichr New Member

gees man i don't mean to be rude here, but i'm starting to get the feeling that you're taking us all for a jolly good ride here, you know just to waste our time.

if you can, read up about guitars, pickups and switching on wikipedia. gooogle it, there are great guides there.

19. samarthgupta

samarthgupta New Member

no man you misunderstood me.........ihave no intentions of that sort..........iam seriously going to buy a guitar and furthur i live at a small town so its quite far from delhi....if i was delhi i wud have taken it long back.......since i dun have access to any teachers , i had to take all the info here itself...........i'll look up on wikipedia but getting info from u guys is the best i can get..........
    peace man.....no wrong intentions at all.....

20. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

My choice would be either the AV or the ibanez, but i wont go for the GRG would rather stick with the RG321 and so should you if you are not too perticular about tremolo bar..