Buying 1st electric guitar....need help..!!

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by kenny92, Feb 15, 2011.

1. kenny92

kenny92 New Member

well i want an amp consistent both for home practice and jamming with..!!
    Laney Cub 10 will be ideal for home use but no so favourable for jamming..!!
    What is GG?

2. flood

flood New Member

10W is actually pretty damn loud for a small environment. unless you're playing large stages anytime soon, you should be ok with the cub 10.

since it looks like youre going the all-tube way, a tube screeamer or boss SD-1 would be a good match to get some nice creamy distortion from your amp. for more aggressive fuzz sounds, the big muff is a good all-rounder. germanium fuzzes are great for vintage fuzz tones, but you aren't going to get one easily here... i roll my own germ fuzzes.

3. theghost

theghost New Member

@kenny sorry i meant Guitar center

@flood will i need a overdrive or distortion pedal for ACDC kinda tones if i were to play clean on the laney?Also will it sound good for leads?

4. kenny92

kenny92 New Member

Okay then ill give it a try..!! Max ill be doing is like a college gig..!! The only one thing i'm worried about is that the maintainence of a tube amp here is quiet tough here in India and finding spares is an issue.
    As for the effects SD-1 will be a good starter but ill be playing mostly funk and classical rock so i want to buy effects that are a little to the clean side. So could you suggest something for that?

5. kenny92

kenny92 New Member

I don't think Angus Young used any effects. For his sound its all-tube with med-gain or high-gain. Check at guitargeek.

6. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Don't compare coconut water with Chateau Lafite... You haven't even started your rock journey and you wanna sound like acdc,angus,yngwie.. learn to play first..

Great tones doesn't make great guitarists.. but the vice versa is true..

7. theghost

theghost New Member

I know it's not possible to get his tone for a starter budget but a distortion pedal can certainly get u closer.
    If I'm upgrading from a ss to tube amp a good tone is wat I wants.

8. kenny92

kenny92 New Member

I'm just telling him about Angus's rig dude....why r u takin it personally....!!
    We all fantasize about sounding like our favourite guitarists....there's nothing wrong with that..!!
    We are all working equally hard and practicing everyday to play better too..!! So you can't judge how we play on the basis of what sorta sound we like...!!

9. theghost

theghost New Member

^this and
    @ Ricky Didn't u just get a mustaine signature guitar, r u as good as him? So wats wrong with my tone quest?

10. kenny92

kenny92 New Member

Hey...how would you rate the Greg Bennett Avion AV-6?

11. flood

flood New Member

not totally true. ansar and i both build and repair amps in bombay, there are people repairing amps in bangalore and roy chvat has the south zone pretty much covered. dunno about delhi and cal though. in the worst case, spares are easily available over the net from online retailers worldwide, all you need is access to a credit card.

for that kind of music, i would say you would eventually buy: fuzz (for some variation in distortion styles), wah-wah, chorus, delay, and perhaps a flanger/phaser. don't worry yourself too much about it right now and buy them one by one. it's really interesting and fun to see how many different sounds you can come up with just 2 or 3 pedals before you start stacking them up.

12. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

Thats wat i mentioned dude.. Skill is important..
    And if you so wanna imitate somebody's tone start using GR..Will give you a lotta idea bout how things actually sound the way they do.

13. flood

flood New Member

yep, but we're comparing red apples to, um, green apples here i guess. a slight boost will help you get into that territory. angus young used a marshall cranked up way high. you should actually be able to get that easier with the laney considering it is lower wattage and will saturate at significantly lower volumes than a 100W head. but yeah, an overdrive will work well too. not distortion; that would be a bit too much.

14. flood

flood New Member

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!??!!?!?

disagree BIG time! the GR preset tones and models are WAY off the mark, especially medium gain/crunchy stuff!

15. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

but i like the amp sim that GR comes with... I have not played any of them for real though..
    as for the presets GR being a software emulator, differences will be there for sure..

16. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

i'm yet to try amplitube which IMO shud be better than GR..

17. kenny92

kenny92 New Member

Am still new to IGT...
    What is GR or IMO...??

18. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

GR- Guitar Rig
    IMO- In My Opinion

19. kenny92

kenny92 New Member

But why do you have to use a simulation or any other software to figure out the effects on the songs. Can't u listen and find them on your own. It's better for ear training. And, if u feel lost then there are always forums on sites like Ultimate-Guitar which pretty much gives you the correct setup for a particular song. Anyways you guys still have to tell me about the Greg Bennett Avion Series. It sounds like a pretty good guitar for money and is like a complete imitation of a Les Paul.

20. flood

flood New Member

i like guitar rig too, but only as a toy or a quick-fix solution where tone is not very important (e.g. you need to lay down a background track for a jingle or something within 10-15 minutes, i know one producer who uses GR for that). the ultra high-gain übermetchul sounds are ok too, but it just can't compare with a proper amp. so i'd say you're on a good path going for a tube amp, particularly with the music you play.

i've never played greg bennett, but apparently they are quite popular on these boards.

kenny92, if it's any help, here's my soundcloud site with a bunch of clips of amplifiers i have built in the past - they were recorded very quickly on modest equipment and don't have too much treatment, so there's better results to be had for sure and they sound much better in person, but it should give you a good idea of just what is possible.

www.soundcloud.com/aditya-nandwana

also, i'm a shit guitar player and i know it. and no, i don't appreciate constructive criticism on that topic :p