Bush vs Kerry, the presidential debate

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by esgallindeion, Oct 9, 2004.

1. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

Anybody here into world politics care to have a discussion on the Kerry Bush elections?

My impression of both debates...

First one : Kerry beat Bush outright, but not because his arguments were good but because Bush's were rotten. Bush was more or less stammering repeating his comments again and again and making smart aleck retorts. Kerry kept on saying he has big plans and made an insane amount of promises but never substantiated much... So, the victory was given to Kerry.

However, I feel that the onus is on Kerry to show why he should be made president and not on bush to show why he should not be thrown out. Hence, it is infact Kerry who should have come out shining which he didn't. He was simply average and his views were at best conflicting and idealistic. For instance he said he didnt want to continue the war on Iraq but later he also said that he will send more troops to Iraq. This might show the urgency to finish the business in Iraq but it also shows the confusion in Kerry's stand. And in such situations confusion is a very dangerous thing. So, based on this fact I would prefer Bush based on the debates. Because I feel a country's leader need not neccessarily be the best orator amongst the candidates but the one with the potential to lead his country through tough times. Bush has shown that he can do that. That gives the americans a reason to trust him and not throw him out.

But at the same time, kerry did have some sound arguements about nuclear proliferation and the North korea issue which brings one to consider if he would indeed be a good choice.

I just saw half of the second round this morning... I'll wait till i see the whole thing tonight before posting on it.

2. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

not much into world politics.....but one thing i do know is bush is a complete idiot, he put america's budget into a deficit?? which was in surplus before he came.
    either ways y should i care....its their funeral ;)

3. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

I'm not totally into it.. But wont mind commenting.. LOL>. i watched the debate this morning.. Has great fun.. I think Kerry seems quite confident and may be better than the BUSH..

4. tejas

tejas ..........

I don't know if we can trust kerry. But i guess anyone is better than Bush. But should we really care?

5. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

Do we really need to care?

I second tejas. Firstly, anybody has to be better than that primate, George Bush. And secondly, why do we need to care? And if you're discussing politics, look no further than our very own country, right? :p And talking about debates I wonder how a debate between Laloo prasad yadav and L.K Advani would progress as both of these fine gentlemen make good use of their vocal cords and are eloquently sarcastic. Most probably, it'll go like this :mad: :cen: and on and on . Sounds darn interesting.:) Coming back to the original point of discussion, yeah, kerry would definitely be better than bush.

6. jayanth

See somehow, whatever happens in the USA, affects us indirectly.. I strongly feel we should care about it.. I dont want a President in USA who hates the Worlds Lagrgest Democracy and bombs it saying that we possess WMDs.. And stuff like that..

7. Gn'rlies

Gn'rlies New Member

US presidency matters to us in very direct ways . Kerry for example wants to tax all s/w companies that outsource business and also plans to debar them from government contracts . Now a lot of small companies will fold up and retreat if that happens cuz the US government contracts are really juicy . The megafirms might resist for a while but a few will comply . IBM big , as they are , have a huge interest in govt. projects , they simply cant let go of it . SO that can spell trouble .
    Regardless of what happens , america is handing over its reigns to a fool for the next 4 years n its a disaster for the whole world .

Consider this , whats the easiest job in the world ? according to me , its shredding bush's position to bits .. i mean he's simply daft n it should be simple to really take him apart .... kerry however has bungled on that front far too often . How can someone be that dumb . He's far too defensive .... he needed to hammer the president from the beginning but he's been squishy-sqashy all over the place ...
    read my article on it if you want ... its on my blog : www.karanpuri.blogspot.com

8. jayanth

What ever happens to his IT companies, wont affect us much.. Cause we are the pioneers in IT.. If they need something, they got to look for us.no matter what.. WAR is the only thing which is to be watched..

9. Gn'rlies

Gn'rlies New Member

i'm deeply entrenched in the IT industry dude ... and when we say we're the pioneers in IT .. its crap . complete total crap . I've had the experience to do undergraduate study both in india ( in a decent intstitution ) and in the united staes so i can comment on this from a unique perspective . So when i say we're pioneers in the IT industry ... i mean it ... its total BUL@#$% .... . We're pioneers in BPO , getting low level programming done for other companies . We have a huge population of low level , english speaking programmers (notice i say programmers and not software engineers) .
    Trust me if the spoken language of united states was spanish , we wouldnt figue in the top 100 countires in IT . The numbers look good , IT exports are high and going further up .... no argument there ..... But what are we developing .

What are the shining example of IT poweress we can cite ?
    infosys , wipro and TCS ????

They're all considered useless junk companies here .. good for low leve stuff . Infosys is great at what it does , but its what it does that sucks . They just added 5000 programmers to their workforce .... n just how many products do they develop ? ZERO , NILCH .

pioneering in a field means to take it to new frontiers and that is achieved by developing new technologies , world class and world leading products .... n these companies help other US based giants do it more cost effectively . Face it , the only real research happening in india is in the labs of microsoft ,IBM n texas instuments etc.

There's only one company in india that i know about which is well respected for its world leading products and thats i-flex systems . They have financial software thats used by the biggest firms and banks in the world and they beat competition by IBM and others . Thats a world leading company ... alas there's only one . And one company just doesnt make us pioneers .

regarding war .. my hope is .. they've burnt their fingers pretty bad in iraq n hopefully they'll refrain for atleast a while ...

10. esgallindeion

Thats exactly what we must not hope Gnrlies... we must not forget the real war that the world is facing at the moment, the war on terror... the iraq diversion should be overcome as fast as possible and the real war must be continued.. do you think kerry would do that? from his promises, all i can gather is that he wants peace, he doesn't want US troops to be in harm's way and he also wants to end terrorism... how would he be able to achieve that?

Bush however is pretty firm on his stance on terrorism... iraq issue has lessened his credentials somewhat but however way you look at it, a saddam less world is much better... but he must continue with the real war... the problem with him is, will he?

11. jayanth

Boss leave alone the Huge BPO's Check out the smaller companies.. Like Trilogy and Mindtree and all.. then talk..

12. Gn'rlies

Gn'rlies New Member

dude ... trust me on this one ..... i hate them both ... they needed a real leader who doesnt lie all the time ....
    you know i'd actually take dick cheney as president , he's already running most of the show for bush and regarding standing firm ..... sometimes its just foolish not to acknowledge youre wrong .
    bush can be blasted on a lot of issues .... did you know he's the first us president since hoover in 1930's to have a net loss of jobs .
    413billion is this years fiscal deficit run up by bush .. the largest in history . n he got a balanced budget from clinton . unemployment is highest in 20 years and inflation highest in 15 .
    hes not done a good job ... n i dont think kerry has the balls to do much either ..... like i said ... theyre in deep shit .... but 4 more yars of bush ... can be an outright disaster ..

13. esgallindeion

Well, you must consider the recession which US was going through when Bush was elected, add to it 9/11, I think he has enough excuses for all that.

14. wildcoolswetu

wildcoolswetu New Member

A debate which was supposed to enlighten the american people on what a wannabe president would be capable off, just turned ugly, one picking on the others defects and little did each of the two self proclaimed american heros realise that by throwing stones into each others pile of filth the dirty water fell back on them....and sadly they were more bent on attacking each other than assuring a nation, both of them made similair promises both covered in different sheaths of diplomacy sounding so different to the people. What the worlds so called most powerful nation needs is a statesman, not a politician.. and sadly both bush and kerry looked like or made themselves look like hardcore politicians, a nation which has been governed by incredible statesmen like lincoln and roosevelt deserves better, but if there is a pick to between the two rats in the rat race, kerry would be a better option..atleast he has the enigma of not already having been there and doesnt dump half his work on the vice president candidate and his wife!!

15. nitinsw

nitinsw the unforgiven

whoever wins, america's imperialist policies are not going to change.

so, in the words of Eminem...

" I dont give a SNIP" .

16. nitinsw

nitinsw the unforgiven

oops, sorry Jayanth !!!