Building Guitar Scales

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons, Tutorials & Tips' started by Rey1970, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Rey1970

Rey1970 New Member

Building Scales

guys I don't know if this was posted before, but 1 thing that helped me instead of the finger patterns was building my own scales anywhere on the guitar. An old indian band leader was my first teacher he played any instrument!!! he did not know theory, but he showed me this about 15yrs ago , the rest I learned some from books.Every major scale(ionian) follows this theory:
    C scale: C D E F G A B C
    w w h w w w h
    w- whole step
    h- half step simply to remember 2 1/2 , 3 1/2

The advantages of this is you don't depend on finger position,you start to learn and see the notes you're playing ,also every musician sits with pen & paper, so you can write the notes to a scale when you find it out.It trains your ear you get to know when you hit an "off " note. IT helps you to understand theory more, also when you see what you have written you can ask yourself "whys" & "hows"
    Here is a minor scale:
    A (natural) minor: A B C D E F G A
    w h w w h w w

Minor scales can be derived from the major scales. When a minor scale is from a particular major scale it is called the RELATIVE MINOR of that scale or key.e.g the A min. scales are derived from the C maj. scale, so also the key of A min. is the relative min. key of C maj. so to , C maj. is called the relative maj. of the key of A min.
    2 octave C maj. scale:
    C D E F G [ A B C D E F G A ] B C
    A NATURAL MINOR
    The relative min. scale is ALWAYS built from the 6th note of the maj. scale .
    Another type of min scale is called the HARMONIC MINOR. The 7th note is raised a half step.I'll post more on the steps on the others later : pentatonics,minors, modes, japanese!!!!

2. Liquid

Liquid New Member

i was a little confused when u were talking about deriving from the major scale...

suppose we take the Amin scale....where do we start from?....ok after reading the thing again...my question is more like...WHy do u derive the Amin scale from the Cmaj scale?...i see that A is the 6th note in the Cmaj scale....but we r looking for the Amin....maybe im confusing myself a little....but my question remains...why do u derive from the Cmaj scale and not like the G Major scale or something...( or some other scale)..

3. Rey1970

Rey1970 New Member

because the 6th note on the G maj. scale is E, so from the Gmaj. you'll get its relative minor which is E.always follow the pattern, remember the whole steps and 1/2, and the 6th notes.

Gmaj: G A B C D E F# G , if you continue from E& follow the and
    6th follow the steps 1 1/2, 2 1/2, 2, steps you'll form the natural min. then you coluld do some changes and have , harmonic minors,melodic minors, jazz minor etc. I'll post more lessons later,it will be confusing at first but experiment with your music ask yourself how? and why? .later.