Building an acoustic pickup yourself

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by deepon, Jan 16, 2007.

1. deepon

deepon Crazy Guitarist !!!

Hey friends,
    I have read a lot of articles to make pickups yourself. But I am sure the one I propose is the easiest. You have to take an old pc microphone. Take out the machinery from the inside. It is as small as hajmola tablet. Solder (I used cellotape) the wires to the two terminals sticking out of the mic button. Stick the button near the bridge. It would be better if you punch a hole in a 2 inch by 1 inch thermocole and put the thing inside (It gives much more stability). And voila! Your pickup is ready. Plug it in your computer (in the microphone socket).

If you put it below the strings near the bridge, it gives a clean tone. If you put the top of the mic button (Side opposite the connections), into the hole, it gives a distortion effect. Cool, isn't it?

Make sure to stand as far as possible from the pc or a very unpleasant noise appears on turning up the volume (similar to that when a microphone is turned on and put near a speaker).

Enjoy and experiment. I hope you like the idea. Do comment and give reps if you think the article to be worth.:rock:

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

LOL
    You are just micing up the guitar.

3. upneja

upneja New Member

nice one dude i did like that home made set up
    i love this funda of creating your things

4. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

.......lol......*no comment*

5. shahbaz.arshad

shahbaz.arshad New Member

cool Idea but tell me.......... who would like to messup with there beloved guitar hmmm.....?

6. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

What you're calling Building is actually destruction. Lol

7. nazr

nazr angel is my genital..

That would be one ugly guitar what with all the soldering and cello taping.

8. yazi

yazi Banned

I am too dignified to answer to a post like that.

9. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

Poor chap gives a simple suggestion and what he gets is just rude replies and riducule from u guys !!

10. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

GR8 Idea!! Lemme try :grin:

11. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

yea....good thinking....only thing is....it sounds like crap man....ive already tried with a 150rupee mic

12. bhubha

bhubha New Member

i will give u the easiest idea ....just put the whole mic inside the guitar and VOILA !!!!!!!

notty_lad likes this.
  13. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

^Better yet put it into ones as* and amplify the farts ?

notty_lad likes this.
  14. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

It's a good idea but microphonic pickups are not really the thing you want when recording. Having to sit far from PC speakers = far from PC in 98% of the cases = too far to operate the software.

15. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

Lol.

Roflmao!

:RollLol: