Brand New Ibanez Rg370dx(2005)

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by chintan9, Apr 12, 2005.

1. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

Yup, u read it right,

I just bought a new Ibanez RG370Dx (2005 version) with infinity pickups and edge III bridge. (colour- black)

My parents got it down for me from singapore. Costed me about 700SGD which is around 19k indian rupees(with soft case).

The older models of the 370 with the edge2 bridge were no longer available. And I thank god for this.

I was wrong all along, the 2005 model is actually a step up to the 2004 model. (The ibanez dealers in singapore(swee lee) guaranteed this). The edge 3 bridge is apparently more durable and holds tune better(LUCKY ME)

REVIEW
    The makers of this guitar(Ibanez) are probably the biggest idiots around. I mean they charge 700SGD for a guitar worth twice as much.

LOOKS- 7.5/10
    The paint job is tastefully done with quite a large serving of 'gloss'. The Black body and the shark tooth inlays are a very nice combination. Neat looking guitar!
    Would have been nice if the body had some artwork . Also, my fingerprints are clearly visible on the body. {Should be able to remove it with guitar polish}

NECK- 9/10
    The wizard II neck is probably the finest neck u will ever play on. Absolutely no screw ups in this department.
    The maple neck is smooth and so is the bound rosewood fingerboard.
    The inlays simply rock!(SHARK TOOTH ALL THE WAY!)

BRDIGE- N/A
    Havent had enough time to properly set up the bridge. Would comment on it later.

TONE- 8.5/10
    These pickups definitely deserve a place on the guitar. I mean they might not be the best pickups in the world but the surely deliver.
    The neck pickup sounds full (good distorted sound) and is probably my favorite.
    The bridge pickup comes in a close second as I hate a trebly tone.
    The single coil is horrible with distortion but is great for clean.
    (note: these pickups suit guitarists who need a more processed tone)

OVERALL - 8.5/10

Dislikes
    The volume pot and pickup selector is quite noisy and should be changed.

CONCLUSION
    You guys are crazy if u do not buy this guitar after reading my review.

MORE LATER................

2. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

^Nice review, thanks a lot. I'm planning to get this myself.

3. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

the 2003 line is the same as this except for bridge and pickups...

somehow - ppl who have the 2005 model said that edge 3 sucked - its not durable at all - the edge 2 bridge is really good- i u se it - holds tune for months at a stretch even with the amount of diveombs i do...

dunno much abt. the infinity pups - i kinda like the psnd ones i have - though i dont use thge necjk one wit distortion - for dist. tones i use the bridge or a combination of rdige and single coil....

as far as i know - there was no 2004 line for the 370dx- it remained unchanged from 2003

4. downinahole

downinahole hymenopter

Dear Chintan,
    Is it the RG370DX or is it the GRG 370DX?
    If it is the RG, you're really lucky to have gotten it!
    I'm Planning to buy the same guitar.
    Check the thread Recommend an axe.
    Kindly post some more comments on your guitar there.
    Since the thread is frequented by many, it'll set up a good discussion, and both of us will get very valuable feedback.
    Thanx

5. trinity

trinity New Member

thanks for the update..

6. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

there isnt a grg370dx as far as i know - theres the grg 270dx.

and why is he lucky? when u go and uy it - its not like theyre going to suddenly give u some other randpom guitar instead of the rg thus making him lucky to have it!

but sweriously - its the same guitar were discussing in that thread - dmf has one, so do i - only we have the 2003 line model...

also fr is trying to buy one

7. downinahole

downinahole hymenopter

dear death87
    m sorry, i got a bit confused there. there is a grg 370fm.
    btw what i meant by lucky was not that he got a steal or anything of the sort.
    all i'm saying is he's lucky coz he made his purchase and has his baby all to himself now and she's flawless. (hope there r no feminists out here!)
    and moreover, it's an rg not a lousy grg!
    yup, i guess rg's aren't all that expensive as i thot they were. but the higher end rg's the 1527's and 2620's.... do cost a bomb.
    well, and everyone, i've posted the furtados price list on my thread
    https://indianguitartabs.com/showthread.php?t=7829&page=3&pp=15
    check it if u'll want to know the prices

8. chintan9

@ deathdr87- well it really depends on how you setup the floyd rose. Even an original floyd rose can lose tune if its wrongly setup. Well Ive played on an RG370B before and I know exactly how the edge2 and the powersound behave. That is why I prefer the newer version.

I suggest u play on the 2005 model to actually feel the difference.

9. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

I cant believe this lucky guy got RG 370dx for which i do murder my g.f ...for just 19k! :shock:...in India it costs around 26k +. Infact, its not available. Rg 250dx is available for 25k! bull!!!!....

This sux man.

@chintan ....lucky you.

10. krikle

krikle New Member

New Ibanez ... Help?

Hey all,
    Just stumbled upon your site. I'm from Canada. I have the Ibanez RG370DX (in Jewel Blue) on lay-away. Is this a good guitar? I love playing and have been playing for 6 or 7 years, though I'm not as gooas I should be because I lost interest for a couple years. But I'm pretty decent. I like to play mostly hard rock...distortion. Don't know ALL that much about guitars only that Ibanez makes wikid guitars and I've always wanted one. My guitar teacher used to have a green one..it was sweet. I'm tossin up almost $700.00 for htis guitar, tax included and its brand new. What do you think??

11. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

Siddarth aka death_metal_fan can help you out on this one.

He got his Ibanez from Canada itself.

Welcome to IGT

12. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

@krikle...
    as far as i remeber ....i hated it ...was too metalish ..wasnt versatile at all...
    its got a very thin and low neck ..and its tone is kinda painfull
    well ...if your a die hard metal fan then ...its an option..but i recomend you go for something else...

13. fictional_real

fictional_real Pyaasi Jawani

RG series is pretty decent for beginners excelling to become pro. You wont find it difficult to understand by its looks itself that it was trully made mostly for metal.

However, i am sure you might have got a better one for $700.

14. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

I know this guitar from somewhere.....Oh! yes, I own one! I think its under my bed in the case!!

Ha Ha, so for any guys, who want to buy this guitar after reading Chintan's review, I got the exact same guitar, absolutely unused. I almost HATE the floyd Rose, and the guitar is too metallic and shrill for me. Everytime I tried, I went back to my squier, maybe its the type of music I play.

So my offer is open again. For people who want to buy this guitar, buy me an RG321MH (the one with Mahogany body and Infinity Pick ups) and take away this absolutely unused RG 370DX. I got it 20th Jan this year and there is not a scratch or stuff in it, I'll throw in 3 sets of D'addarios as well. The RG 321MH is available for 18.5K in Mumbai. Or I could consider selling my guitar at the price the RG 321MH is available in Bangalore. As you see, the only reason I want to sell is - I want a RG 321 MH more than the 370DX.

Send me a PM if you are interested.

Cheers

15. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

Exchange completed

Well, got my RG370DX exchanged for the RG312MH. By the way, this friend of mine made the exchange, and he got the RG321MH in Bangalore (World of Music - Brigade Residency cross) with padded bag and belt for 17K, which I think is fab.

Specs for the RG 321MH are the same, except the middle single coil infinity is knocked off, and the edge III is replaced by a hard tail. The mahogany body is suprisingly light, lighter than the RG370, and the Weathered Black finish is amazing. Its like natural wood, but in black, with all the grains etc showing. I have not been able to play it as I got it today, but in my coupel of minutes test, I could feel the sustain.

I am very happy, and I shall today go for :beer: .

16. chintan9

Oh by the way for all those wondering what strings Ibanez use for their facotry setup here u go:

https://www.daddario.com/DADNewsDetail.aspx?ParID=3068

PS- These strings lasted me 4 months with zero loss in tone, feel and playability. I was kinda wondering what strings Ibanez used on my RG370DX till i saw that^^^^^^^

Chintan= D'addadario XL:beer:

17. rammy

rammy Guitar=Dope ; Me=Addict

Congrats chintan...but here ^^^ its gud that u have played it and giving the review, plz make it always like this coz before this u always used to say the newer ones s**ked big time and is a total piece of crap....many ppl go by that (especially like me who dosent play on ibanez....i thought its waste till i read ur post, my opinion now depends on it when i'll play it ofcourse)...and look for other gear....

18. blackmamba

blackmamba Rocker Monk

Hehe...$3 strings (bought in bulk for probably $1) on a $500 guitar - interesting :)

19. rammy

rammy Guitar=Dope ; Me=Addict

i use d'addadario xl 120 (.9's)...they last me some 1-2 months if they dont break by themselves...but 4 months, u lucky as for the acoustic, i feel lucky if they last a month(d'addadario again , xtra light .10's) was using ej10 80/20 till now,(good tone,very less life) plan to use ez900 85/15 from now that i got in bulk...btw i used to use peavy acoustic strings before, by me, the best acoustic strings...lasted the best and tone was great......

20. chintan9

Hehehe but i atleast know which $3 string to buy the next time! ;)