Bought AX3000g

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by LEFTY_GUITARIST, Jan 15, 2006.

1. LEFTY_GUITARIST

LEFTY_GUITARIST -= M®. §öU†|-|ÞäW =-

hey alpha , arnt u a ozzy fan???? gimmi da zakkk wylde dis patch plz........like get me through:grin:

i need fat mids for zakk, rite??

and how can get tht cutting edgy satriani patch?? i got his midnite patch, always wid me , and also crystal planet, but cant get teh "extremest"/"satch boogie" patch:cry1:

2. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

@Lefty. Forget patches for each song you know in your life. You wont go anywhere that way. Make a couple of Rhythm Patches like Tweed Sound, Marshall kinda sound, Mesa Boogie Sound and make a couple of Lead Patches and then play everything with these. Nothing will sound better and more satisfying that your own. If it gets real good, maybe Satriani will be asking in the newsgroups for Left's tone setting patches. :beer: So try your own.

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

:nw: Ronnie :nw:

Fully agree. I have few patches:

Metal
    Marshall
    Mesa
    Fat
    Tweed
    Clean
    Blues
    VOX
    Fuzz

Thats it. I use only them for all the playing. I add flange/chorus/pahser/wah/delay to those basic ones. And dont really care whether they really sound close to the artist.

But anyway, setting up patch on processor is more of knowledge than trial n error.
    Lets take Zakk Wylde, he uses humbucker Les Paul, Marshall JCM800, Cry baby wah.
    He uses overdrive pedal to boost the signal for harder distortion from amp, but we dont have to worry about that, since you can always adjust the gain on your processor.
    He uses some chorus too. And delay of 500-600ms in some songs (No more tears)

Second thing is his tone has varied slightly.
    "No more tears" album has huge treble, the "down to earth" album has more of mids.
    anyway it is upto you.

So you amp sim should be either
    1. Fat Dist (whcih does a good sim of JCM800 as well as ProCo RAT) (b.t.w. I thought UK80s on AX3000 should be Marshall JCM800)
    or
    2. British Stack (British stack = UK Modern) for more trebly sounds.

Gain - 2-3 for crunchy rhythm sound, 7-8 for soaring leads/pinch harmonic rhythms
    EQ:
    Bass: not required: keep 'em low ~3
    Mids: tons of em ~7-8
    Treble: good amount ~5-9

So what I would do is keep 3-7-9 config for the trebly "no more tears" album
    and more middy 3-8-5 config for "down to earth" album.

Play around with both Fat Dist as well as UK Modern, and decide which sounds closer.

Cabinet 4x12 Modern.

Regarding the Satch one:
    UK Modern: Gain 9
    Bass: 8
    Mid:4
    Treble:6 (u may consider raising it to 8, if u desire more trebly patch)
    Delay: 400ms
    Cabinet: 4x12 modern
    Wah

4. LEFTY_GUITARIST

LEFTY_GUITARIST -= M®. §öU†|-|ÞäW =-

TANX SO MUCH alpha , reps comin ur way.

btw, i creATED THE slash patch u have me, but cant find any kinda sustain on it. tone is almost perfect , but so less sustain.:(
    i tried to add some autowah, but suckd:p:

so how can u gewt sustain on it??:-(

@ronnie da, yes , im creatin ma own patches also. my bands sosunds.

5. ronnieanand

You are mistaken dude. Zakk Wylde uses a Boss DS1 to drive his amp harder. Agreed. This is not to increase the gain but rather to increase the drive. Not all processor have this drive and gain facility. So increasing distortion will make it more metally and more heavier but the point is to increase the drive. SRV used to use Tube Screamer to drive his amp. According to your idea, if you start increasing your gain, you will end up sounding like SRV playing for Sepultura. Drive and Gain are two different things. :beer:

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^Correct.
    But what I said/meant was: Zakk uses pedal to drive his amp harder, to get more dist. (which can be obtained from higher gain too, but with its negative consequences, which u have highlighte :); anyway, JCM800's built in dist is very weak for metal; maybe good enuff for AC/DC, but very weak for Black Label Society.

Lefty doesnt have to worry so much coz he can crank up the gain in the processor + one cannot achieve the exact marshall tone on a processor :p

b.t.w. Lefty, the reason why u aint getting sustain is what Ronnie mentioned. The processor gives you two options: sustain or tone

U gotta choose one from two.

However, if you were to drive a tube amp, u will get tone as well as sustain. Thats what all brouhaha about the tube amps is about.

The only thing u can do is to turn up the volume, and stand close to the speaker while playing, in hope that the sound from speaker may further vibrate the strings :p
    and damage your ears.

7. ronnieanand

Nope again. Distortion in Marshalls are not weak for Black Lable Society. But driving it with an overdrive can get your a lot of sustain. A weak distortion can be driven hard to make it a Metal Distortion. If I keep my AMT Fatal Tube and Full Gain and Volume and drive my Blues Driver, I still wont get a Metal Sound. Only a howling noise. I guess you got the point. A friend of mine had this Korg AX1G. He used to drive it with a Boss OS2 and he used to keep the gain and 0 and level to some 12 o clock. This way he used to get a nice sustain and had a great tone too.

8. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

I thought that Zakk Wylde uses his signature MXR od pedal to drive his amp harder. Even Satriani was spotted using Zakk's pedal and when asked he said that unlike the DS-1 zakk's pedal keeps the amps sound more natural

9. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

whatever!
    I stick to my guns.
    JCM800 is very weak distortion.
    good only for classic stuff, and good ol' crunch.

Nothing modern or hi-gainy in its sound. Anyway it cannot match a Mesa/Boogie or Diezel

10. ronnieanand

On all the rigs I have seen Zakk uses his SD1. Even on the interviews he talks about his SD1. Same with his Video Lessons.

11. sridhar11_2

I guess it must have been before the MXR pedal came out

12. ronnieanand

No. Even Today. Dont believe endorsements. They are a total different ball game. Lets not discuss here and break the hearts of lots of people.

Lots of things that the artists prefer but endorse something else.

Vai's favourite guitar is a Strat.
    Kirk Hammet's favourite is a Vintage Les Paul with Vintage PAF Pickups.
    Slash, Joe Satriani, Jeorge Lynch use RMC Wahs but pedals board in their live rig will show Cry Baby.

13. sridhar11_2

Well i really dont like the fact that these people deceive people but i guess when money is involved you can understand why they'd do it. Especially with people like Vai and satriani who probably make more money touring endlessly and toiling hard to keep up their guitar god image than selling records.

14. ronnieanand

Vai and Satch were all Fender users till Ibanez bought them. EVH has been bought and sold several times. He was endorsing Kramer, Steinberger, Peavey, Charvel.....
    How many poor fans are switching brands now. It's all about Money Honey.

15. ronnieanand

I am not sure. These guys get more money from endorsements and other deals than their tours. Who goes to watch Vai or Satriani gigs. Boring things. I can get my money's worth seeing Britney Spears :nw: or Jennifer Lopez :nw: :nw: .

16. sridhar11_2

yes but they get even less money from their album sales

17. sridhar11_2

Vai has his own bee farm and he even sells the honey he gets from it. Plus he has a record company with a LOT of legends like Eric Johnson, Yardbirds, himself, Petrucci, Marty Friedman,Tommy emmanuel, etc.

18. ronnieanand

They use this to sponsor their ciggies. They dont have ciggie endorsements :eek:: . So some gimmick tours like G3, G4, maybe they will catch hold of some newbie guitarist and have a G2 1/2 tour and things like that. A G100 tour would include the Band + Crew + Audience.

19. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

HEHE
    In Malmsteen's video, he doesnt even make any mention about the DOD "Malmsteen" Overdrive pedal. He just says he has a pedal board, with an overdrive (doesnt mention which one).

Plus the guitars are nothign but old Fender Strats (not the Fender "Malmsteen"), with normal tremolos. and only change is brass nut.

LoL : my givson also has brass nut. Infact all the frets are brass. :)

P.S.: Shakira is hottest.

20. ronnieanand

Poor dude has to sell Bees and Honey to get himself a pair of colourful clothing and that stupid eye glasses he wears. What would have happened to him had he relied totally on guitar playing related income :shock: