Bought a Fender Strat, what should i play on it?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by Navz, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Navz

Navz New Member

Hey All,

I've Finally bought a guitar it is an electronic one a Fender Strat, i've tuned it all up using an electronic tuner.

BUT i don't know where to begin :(

what should i do , where should i start? the only thing i have done so far is try the DDLJ tune Tujhe dekha in tab format which was on the 1st e string 0,0,0,7,5,7 etc.

I really don't have a clue about what i am doing i want to play and want to learn. Whats the first things i need to do.

Thanks a lot.

2. Morbid_Angel

Morbid_Angel Sid the sloth

start knowing the names of the notes on the fretboard. When u play a note u shud name it.
    Then practice playing the chromatic scale on every string. That is 0-1-2-3-4 in tablauture. (Use different fingers for different frets..eg index finger for 1..middle finger for 2) etc.

You shud then practice how to ring ure particulary wanted string. In the beginning u will feel dat its hard to play the string u want. Make an open string sequence of ure own and play it as many times as u want for practice.

Later try to play Sa Re Ga Ma. Start from the 3rd fret of 5th string, C and go down till 1st fret of 2nd string also a C. Progression goes like C D EF G A BC. It is a natural scale.

Then u shud go thru the site for more tutorials. OR ask me for cool guitar e-books..i have already uploaded em.

And if u wanna learn faster and thru the ryte way go find a guitar teacher.

Hope this helps.

3. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

WTF a fender start for playing Tujhe dekha?

4. Saptashaw

Saptashaw PRO Tabber

A Strat? For how much? I suggest you buy an acoustic and learn on that, though. Meanwhile, you can gift me the Strat.;)

5. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

:RollLol:

Yeah i agree with sapta, U shud start with an acoustic. It makes ur fingering better coz if u play electric, a note or two can be muted(i mean, if u don't put the finger at the right place) but still u get the sound. If you do that with an acoustic, no sound will come. Also, you can develop your rythm better with an acoustic. Buy an acoustic, that's my suggestion...
    to start with, search this particular forum, will get lotza fingering exercises. Play those... Also, try to play ur fav. tune ;) That ud be more interesting and creative..

THIS IS UR FIRST XERCISE. (PLAY IT SLOWLY AND EVENLY)
    E..............................................1.2.3.4
    B.....................................1.2.3.4
    G............................1.2.3.4
    D..................1.2.3.4
    A.........1.2.3.4
    E1.2.3.4
    and 4.3.2.1 etc/....(Just play it from, the opposite direction without stoping..)

6. Navz

Navz New Member

Thanks Sugata i will try that lesson , thanks a lot i'll look into getting a cheap acoustic too.

7. death_metal_fan

death_metal_fan oh goody, it's a woody!

Do not buy an acoustic!! You already have a good guitar and it will be sufficient to learn how to play. There is no need to spend on another one. My recommendation would be to find a good teacher and start taking lessons.

8. Morbid_Angel

Ain't that the lesson i recommended? ;)

9. Morbid_Angel

Download this 8.5mb book

https://www.megaupload.com/?d=6UVE8XVB

It will give u everything u need.

PM me if u have questions. I got more books and i can help ya learn these if u dont understand. The illustrations are very simple though. Go Step by Step and dont miss lessons except for the fingerpicking one. (Electric guitars wont need it).

Hope this helps.

10. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

Did u?? Well, that's a common lesson for teh beginners :p:
    I also started with this one. So, it can happen buddy. P.S.- Which thread did u post that in?? :think:

11. Morbid_Angel

check the same thread 1st reply sugata ;!

Why wud i say u copied my exercise otherwise..lol i know its the most common one. After guyz do this they start with the spider.

12. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

oh! Didn't c dat :p:
    Sorry bout it :)

13. Morbid_Angel

no problem ;)

14. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Yeah dood you are correct .... For that matter we know lots of people who learnt on electric .... we have ronnieanand who picked accoustic much later in life .....
    And i've seen so many ...... Don't bother to buy another one .. learn on this ..... goto a good teacher thats much better than online lessons ......

15. Les Carlo

Les Carlo New Member

Buy an acoustic I strongly recommend, if you can play acoustic fluently electri guitar would be very easy to practise, I have seen so many guitarist who pretend to shred on the electric, while given an acoustic they can't play half the shredding on it.
    So it's better you practise on the acoustic and electric at the same time.

16. Les Carlo

Les Carlo New Member

Buy an acoustic I strongly recommend, if you can play acoustic fluently electri guitar would be very easy to practise, I have seen so many guitarist who pretend to shred on the electric, while given an acoustic they can't play half the shredding on it.
    So it's better you practise on the acoustic and electric at the same time.

17. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

^^Xactly that's wot i woz trying to point out. Well said buddy!! Thumbs up 2 ya

18. Morbid_Angel

i dont agree.

Any1 can practice with an electric as well as an acoustic. It just depends on your way of seeing things. I suggest u keep ure electric and dont spend money on a new acoustic.

19. Johny Bravo

Johny Bravo The Boy Genius!

Now the little kid is going to be really confused! There are two lobbies here, each trying to convince him to get the instrument of their choice. I dunno whats gonna become of him. I hate it when the beginners have strats, while the big guys are stuck with Givsons!

If u ask me, then u'd better buy an acoustic, and not a cheap one. Get something decent. U're gonna need it in the long run. Besides, an acoustic helps u a lot in developing ur left hand and especially ur ear. Its strings are rather heavier (11s or 12s mostly), and gives a good work out to ur hand. And after that, when u pick up an electric with such light strings (8s or 9s mostly), u literally fly across it.
    And secondly, an electric's tone changes even when u change the room. Its gonna sound different in the shop, and different in ur bedroom even if u are using the same gear including the pick! The amp changes the tone, the pups change the tone, the volume knob changes the tone, the tone knob changes the tone, the position of the amp changes the tone, hell, the surrounding electronics change the tone! U will have a hard time developing ur ear on an electric.
    But acoustic remains almost the same no matter where u stand. And it needs far less hassle to play it. U dont have to plug in the amp, plug in the guitar, switch on the amp, check the volume, etc. U just pick it up, and play!
    To develop ur skill & musicianship, acoustic guitar or keyboard are essential. Mark my words! Peace out.

20. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

I totally agree^^^^
    an acoustic hardens ur left hand's fingertips faster.
    If u start on an electric(not elecTRONic) be sure to pratice on the acoustic as well. get a decent accoustic it doesn't have to be all expensive an flashy.but a decent one.

as mentioned above by johny, electrics change their tone a lot, and they can become extremely horribble if ur using effects and don't know how to control the sound.In the end it appears to be nothing but noise. U can learn on an electric, no harm but an Acoustic is a must.

and more importantly if ur learning on an electric, u must learn the tiny details like using the tremolo the different pickup configurations too

peace