Blues - Thats what i'm good at

Discussion in 'IGT Soundtrack - Your Band, Your Gig, Your Music' started by sridhar11_2, Jan 19, 2006.

1. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

Here's some Blues for all the people feeling down. I try to play like Jeff Beck (bare fingers) but you judge how it came out. No wacky effects just pure guitar with overdrive. This is actually an improv on a backing track i got with a guitar magazine. I'm just playing the lead guitar. I kinda feel it gets kinda repetative after a while but i guess i'm not that good yet.

Enjoy
    https://www.megaupload.com/?d=KR7E53E9

Based on the comments i'll post some more blues numbers.

alpha1 likes this.
  2. faiqrock

faiqrock XaiQ

nice 1 sridhar
    keep it up ;)

3. sarang_cool

sarang_cool New Member

nICE stuff...! keep goin :beer:

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

No whacky effects agreed, but sounded like You kept the Wah on 1/4th. :p

Sounded real nice.
    The starting was ablsolut gr8. This is my favorite kinda blues actually, and guess the only style taht I can play :(.
    For the repetetive bit, use the chromatics in passing. The same thing I asked dharmatma, he recorded one clip on acoustic and kinda "illlustrated" his point.
    Taht did sound real nice.
    + adding chromatics will increase tension in melody. Which can be resolved by returning back to scale. :) . Guess you have put in some chromatics at some places (mayB unknowingly LOL)

d00d, I really envy you. :cry1:

b.t.w. what is the "Jeff Beck bare fingers"?

P.S.: Nice mix of slides and bends. Had I played this, I wouldve over employed bending, and underemployed slides.
    :cry2:

5. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

@Sridhar. Not trying to discourage you or anything. But you seem to underestimate Blues too much. On every of your thread, you make a mention that Blues is like the easiest. If you thought so you are mistaken. Even the 50s Blues are pretty complex if you really try to play the Rhythm. If you really want to play Hendrix or Clapton or Muddy Water, just try their Rhythm and leave alone the solo. It's not as simple as Metallica or Iron Maiden. I would say even Megadeth and things are easier comparatively. Playing those old ones accurately is not joke. Give it a shot, if you think it is.

6. ronnieanand

Okay one. Your playing is good but it didn't have a hook or a main melody. It sounded like some random licks. Rather play a beginning, verse, chorus, verse kind of thing. This kind of playing is good when you doing with a jam band when you go on a 20 minute long solo. Because you;d be trying to explore. For a song kind of thing, you need to have a hook or a strong melody.

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^^ Well he didnt say that Blues is easiest, or underestimated it.
    He said that he is only good @ Blues.

8. ronnieanand

Not at this thread. But it reminded me to tell him here.

9. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

.::/ok\::.

10. sridhar11_2

I'm sorry if i implied that blues was too easy. It's not and i know it. This song is just a jam really i just played randomly. I know blues rythm is tough thats why i dont even attempt to play it like hendrix who i think is the best electric blues rhythm guy there was. I just want to say that i like the blues and i play primarily blues.

11. ronnieanand

Cool dude. Sorry if I misunderstood. :beer:

12. sridhar11_2

I say that the blues is easy because of its simple chord changes and cause it does'nt demand 10 billion notes. But i believe that one note can say volumes. I always believed that blues is simple and all you need is the soul of it not the technique. That's the only reason i say its easy.

13. ronnieanand

You are still missing out. Blues are not simple chord changes. Infact Metal has simple chord changes. Blues are really intricate chord work. Hendrix / SRV / Clapton / Muddy Water, etc.... Not to say the requirement of incredible feel required. Heard this song Hand On Heart by Steve Vai. When the intro starts, you just immediately realize the difference between him and guys like Clapton / SRV. That incredible feel was missing. As the song went, it started sounding great with typical Vai playing.
    I'd still say that the real essence of Blues playing is probably the most complicated thing.

14. sridhar11_2

Ok thanks for your advice. I understand what you're saying. I know the rhytm work that hendrix,SRV,clapton put in to their songs is awesome. I just meant the technique required to play blues is a litlle easier than say rock/metal. But for chord work you cant really beat Jazz. i hear people like Joe pass and i know how much ever i practise i'll never get to that level technically or musically.

15. ronnieanand

Jazz has all those complex Chords. But check out the intricating passing notes, ghost notes and things like that in the chord changes. In Blues the chords might be simple but not the changes.

Sridhar. Sorry if I am bothering you. Hope you are taking it as a healthy discussion, otherwise I quit now. Dont wanna hurt you. :beer:

16. sridhar11_2

Dont worry i never looked at it as an arguement more than as a discussion.

17. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Waaaaahhhh!

:cry1: :cry2:
    Awww Momma!
    It was such a fun.

c'mon bash 'em, sock 'em, punch 'em. Kill 'em All.

18. zing

zing Machine Head

"blues simple if play wit heart
    blues very difficult if play wit head"

~ old chinese proverb

19. ronnieanand

Old Chinese proverb talks about Blues Music :annoyed: :shock: .

20. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

hey sridar ...

that was nice man ..had a neat starting and all but like ronnie said ..it dint have any structure..it just sounds like a bunch of licks played together .....but it was good work..

and blues aint easy ..nor is jazz...those types of music require more of "feel" than technique..its not like metal where you just slap on the distortion and pull-of super fast solos ..its more of ..tryin to bring out a meaning to what you play ..but u are getting there man..so keep practicing ..

and i think his signature was supposed be the chinese proverb .,ron