Blues Scale and solo's

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by ajaykalekar, Jun 16, 2005.

1. ajaykalekar

ajaykalekar New Member

Hi guys,

Can somebody help me with blues

i need blues scales tabbed so i can practise those.

Also some nice easy blues solo's with or without backing rythmn

Thanks,

Ajay

2. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

nice to know ppl in Blues ...

first thing first ... in order to start playing blues u need to know the major chords and dominant 7th chords do u know 'em ...

anyway here they are: (notes in paranthesis are optional)

A=0 2 2 2 0 0 (high to low strings) A7 =0 2 0 2 0 0
    D=2 3 2 0 (0) x D7 =2 1 2 0 (0) x
    E=0 0 1 2 2 0 E7 = 0 0 1 0 2 0

and just start playing those chords ... esp the 7th ones will give u the blues feel ...

usually it wud go like A -> D -> E -> (D) -> A (u should play 7th - sounds better)

since this is in key of A major ... we will play the A blues scale:
    (the numbers represent the fret - the shape i have put them will indicate how it'll look on the fretboard)

5 8
    5 8
    5 7 8
    5 7
    5 6 7
    5 8

that s the basic scale .. u can extend it any way along the fret board ... i hope u get what i meant to put across to u regarding the A blues scale ...

there are other ways to improvise also ... but this is the one that is most often used ... will give u that super - cool blues style and is soemthing that u dont have to rack your brains upon ...

3. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

ooops the formating of the blues scale was screwed somehow ...
    sorry
    the way it looks on the fretbpoard is like this
    5-------8---
    5-------8--
    5----7-8-----
    5----7-------
    5-6-7---------
    5-------8------

4. vini

vini Repeat Offender

what is the funda of blues scale?? and is it the only blue scale...what does it facilitate in our guitaring?? abilility to play leads??

plz guide..thx. in adv.

tahda!!

5. cYpHeR

cYpHeR Banned

https://www.cyberfret.com/scales/blues/index.php

or try googling blues scale.....although sm things frm da site were nt clear to me... :think: :think: ....

6. vini

vini Repeat Offender

tenku :)

tahda!!

7. vini

vini Repeat Offender

wots this?

these clips at cybetfret.com remind me..even my sir taught me sumthing like this>>>

E]-3-4------------------------------
    A]------2-4-------------------------
    D]-----------2-4/6------------------
    G]-------------------4---------------
    B]-----------------------5-------------
    E]--------------------------4-5-6-7----

is it a blues scale too????? or any other friggin type of scale..is it? :annoyed:

tahda!!

8. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

yeah cypher ... site is pretty gud for checking out the bloose ...

oye vini ... the thing u just posted ... doesn't seem to be any scale ...
    rather it seems to me as a scale with many chromatics to add "color" ...

like the "E]--------------------------4-5-6-7----"
    no scale (i have come across) has four continuous notes running ...

and blues ka sirf ek hi funda hai ... u keep playing the Major chords ... and keep playing the same Minor scale notes ... ie C maj chord ke oopar C min scale (petantonic or blues or dorian) notes

thats it ...

9. zing

zing Machine Head

well im a total blues fan cos blues is the mother of rock & the grandmother of metal :)

i read that sabbath considered themselves a blues band :)) but the way they played it heavy metal was born

blues originated amongst the african slaves in america -- the story goes that the white masters used to order their slaves to play music to entertain them -- but the slaves were not too happy abt it [cant blame them] so they used to deliberately leave out some notes & play some notes flat [which explains the 7th chords] to irritate their masters & thus the pentatonic scale was born

all -- thats ALL -- all rock & metal licks trace back to the blues scales -- basically 5 notes in 5 positions -- the positions depend on which of the 5 notes u start with -- so if u start with the 1st note u get the 1st position, start with 2nd note to get second position etc

the notes for both the minor & major blues scales are the same -- its just which starting note [root] & the emphasis with which u play

e.g. take the 5 positions in https://www.cyberfret.com/scales/blues/page3.php -- in the form 2 if u start with 6th string, 5th fret as root then its a major scale & if u play the same form 2 with 6th string, 8th fret as root then its a minor

next thing u need to know is how each position 'fits' into each other which is nicely given on the same link - basically it open up the entire fretboard & ur on ur way to creating ur own licks

10. zing

zing Machine Head

ok theres another school of thought that the pentatonic scale has japanese & mongolian origins

???