Beginner needs help

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by nazimabbasi, Jul 26, 2007.

1. nazimabbasi

nazimabbasi New Member

Dear All

I hope someone can help me.

I am going to take guitar classes very soon.

I need to buy a guitar for this. My future aim is to be able to play indian songs (filmy Songs, Bollywood Music etc.) .
    Can anyone tell me what kind of a guitar I need to buy. If possible please tell me the model I need to buy.
    There are so many guitars: western, classical, folk, blues.... etc. I am quite confused which I need.

Acoustic or Electronic? Nylon or metal Strings? etc....

Many thanks for your answers.

Nazim

2. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Get an acoustic steel string guitar from pluto or Granada or Gb&a.

Look at www.bajaao.com

3. fishtank

fishtank Member

if you are a beginner then a metal string folk guitar will be best for you
    everyone has different taste for different guitars
    no two guitar sounds the same even if the model is same
    every guitar has its own feel but i think a jumbo guitar will be good as it produce a whole beautiful sound
    if you want an indian guitar then givson is the best brand
    and if you want imported one then there are host of them to choose from
    i have ibanez acoustic guitar and yamaha electric guitar they are good
    whem you advance to a higher level then try electric guitar because once you can play acoustic guitar well then only you should try electric guitar as it requires a lot of control which comes through practice.
    when you go to shop to buy guitar then try different guitar to see which one suites you.
    hope this helps you.

4. srakshit

srakshit New Member

Without getting too deep into it, you can either buy an electric guitar or an acoustic guitar. I personally think it's better to start on acoustics to better develop finger strength, callouses and chord theory, plus it's easier to lug acoustics around as you don't have to carry an amp around.

As far as nylon Vs. steel, you should pick up a steel simply because it's more common - nylon guitars are designed to be played in classical position and are a little more challenging to master due to the wide neck, not to mention the playing style is different from the kind of 'pop' music you're planning to play.

There are many kinds of guitars, usually defined by body type, not by application as you mention. You should start reading a bit on the web so you know what you're getting into.

I always advise people to buy the book 'Complete Guitarist' by Richard Chapman - it's the best beginner's guide to guitars I can think of. A little expensive (about 1500 bucks) but worth every paisa.

5. saurabhrocks

saurabhrocks New Member

u shud go for a steel string,
    go for a pluto with pickup and eq.
    that shud last u for 3-4 years

6. Life_Sans_Death

Life_Sans_Death Acronym!

Givson sucks big time

7. tallkien

tallkien DIY GURU

not all, you can find the occasional gem, I picked up a lovely givson jumbo for friend

8. mymusicmyguitar

mymusicmyguitar Active Member

Its always better to play on an Acoustic first atleast for a year to develop good finger strength then later on acording to ur taste of music u can buy a relevant Electric.
    Yahama Acoustic Guitars are good in terms of the wood that they use, sound is good as well...
    Then u hav Granada, Hovner(Hobmer,Hobner......There are many such brands ...dont know which one is the original..) better confirm it before buying....
    All fall in the range of 3.5k to 7kmax...

9. nazimabbasi

nazimabbasi New Member

Thank you guys for your Advice,
    I just bought ibaneze AEL40SERLV.

Best Regards

Nazim