Beginner need help in chords..

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by selvapunithan, Mar 3, 2012.

1. selvapunithan

selvapunithan New Member

Hi friends,
    i'm a beginner.. help me with this chords.. im confused.. wat is the difference between G#m and Gm.. i'm not getting enough clarification in other forums and Google.. help me guys..

2. Sumanovo razor

Sumanovo razor New Member

okay let me help you... For this you must know the notes and they are

A--A#/Bb--B--C--C#/Db--D--D#/Eb--E--F--F#/Gb--G--G#/Ab--A1

# denotes sharp
    b denotes flat
    and they rest of them are natural notes

note-remember B and E doesnt have sharp and C and F doesnt have flats ...

A1 represents octave
    like in indian music the lower sa and the upper sa

play a note then the very next note on the higher fret will be its sharp note and the previous note down
    a fret will be its flat note

frets are the nickel plated long markers placed on your guitars fingerboard(fingerboard is the one on which you move your fingers in order to play a note or a chord)

so what you are asking is Gm and G#m that is nothin but G minor and G sharp minor chord(playing more than one note is known as a chord)

well here are the tabs for Gm and G#m

Gm(355333)
    G#m(466444)

place your index finger on the 3rd fret and press all the strings and with your ring finger press the 5th string 5th fret (consider the thinnest string as string 1 and the thickest string as string 6)and with the pinky press the 4th string 5th fret ...this is nothing but G minor chord

place your index finger on the 4th fret and press all the strings and with your ring finger press the 5th string 6th fret (consider the thinnest string as string 1 and the thickest string as string 6)and with the pinky press the 5th string 6th fret ...this is nothing but G sharp minor chord

note:-while playing you just shifted all your fingers higher by a single fret why???
    Check the notes

G--G#/Ab--A and so on
    you may call G sharp minor chord also as Ab minor chord .Both mean the same thing