Bassists Only!!!!

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by death angel, Jan 24, 2006.

1. death angel

death angel the messenger from hell

the others can go suck their balls for all i care... unless ofcourse u know sumthing bout bass

nyway moving on ive been infatuated with this certain style of playing bass that intrigued me so much that its an obsession now

i think its called slamming or slappin or sumthing like that but that doesnt really matter (but DO tell me what its called!)

BASSically the dude just slaps the strings and plays the right note (pretty untechnical language but whatev) now i use my fingers only and REALLY wanna learn how to do that cool shitty stuff

SO can you plz plz plz help me out as in tell me how to do it??

also i think itll be nice if we all shared our bass tricks here for the benefit for sucky amatures like me

2. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Dude. When you request for information, I guess you need to be a bit polite. A lot of guitarists too know about bass playing. Being a beginner, this much arrogance is not good.

Anyway. The technique you were asking is called Slapping, where you fret a particular fret with your left hand and with your right hand thumb, you slap the strings hard. You can slap the string at the place where the neck joins the fretboard, at the fretboard near the last fret and anywhere between the bridge and the neck. It's usually combined with another technique calling Pop, where pull a string or you could you would pop string. The octave of the note being slapped is usually popped to get give a nice effect. You could pop other intervals too. Anyway for slapping, there's no specific place to slap. Just give it a shot and get your sweep spot. Slapping at each place gives a different sound, so experiment and find out the spot where you like the sound of the slaps.

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

LOL
    Most of teh bassist wont be knowing what you are talking about.
    You know why?

Technically speaking Bass is a fretless insturment which is shaped like a Cello. and none of those player do the slap, pop etc.

4. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

u inspired by Korn?????????

5. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

yeah....what ronnie said except that he meant 'sweet spot and not sweep spot'.

Also check out slapping and popping lessons on cyberfret.

I'm not a bassist. I shall proceed to sucking my balls.

6. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

Assuming that you are indeed a girl, here's a 101 course on how to ask a question
    a)Being a bitch doesnt help
    b)Undermining another community (in this case guitarists) while being a bitch doesnt help
    c)Try to be specific, not vague about your question, "..i think it's called...something.."
    Several guitarists around here probably know MUCH more about bass than you would in your entire era of playing, try to be nice you'll get answers.

7. slash_i_m

slash_i_m Laid to Rest

@Disturbed-he's a guy with screwed attitude.
    @to the dude who made this thread-won't take you further man.learn politeness.

8. abhimanjrekar

abhimanjrekar ----> Zhol-Man<----

:RollLol::RollLol::RollLol:.....still :RollLol::RollLol::RollLol:

hey me also joinin the suckin club...:RollLol:

9. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

listen to Level 42 for some great examples of Bass slapping