bass guitar help

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by lead_chirag, Apr 30, 2013.

1. lead_chirag

lead_chirag New Member

hey guys I am playing guitar since a couple of months and know many chords and scales....basically I can play guitar comfortably...but I am interested in bass guitar since beginning and i wanna learn bass guitar..i hv few queries
    Should I buy a bass guitar
    now or later?
    How much time would it take to learn bass?
    Things I should check and watch out fr if I buy a used bass?

Plz frndz try and ans all my queries as I wanna really bass
    Cheers

2. fena

fena New Member

Off the top of my head..
    1) buy it now.
    2)really depends on you...you need to have a good understanding of Rhythm to play bass..the really basic/beginner stuffs should be easy since you've been playing guitar...but it gets tougher and tougher; and also depends on what genre you are focusing on..the strings will be waaay thicker, frets will be waay larger..but it takes only a few days to get accustomed..but again, the answer to this question really depends on you.
    3)same thing you do with every other guitar..check if the hardware is rusty..check whether the V/T pots are working properly or not..condition of pickups..what type of tone the guitar has..check if there are any setup related issues, if you can fix it with a proper setup by an experienced person than its ok..check whether you can adjust the action as per your taste..how old the guitar is and how well maintained (or how beat-up) it is. check for the original price on the internet..normally after 1year or so a second hand should cost only approx half the original price (but this can also vary). know what you're getting into..look it up and research on the internet on what exactly the guitar can offer, tone-wise, playability wise.... it really sucks to spend 30k on a bass and not being satisfied with what you get, just because you were too hasty in buying one :D

3. lead_chirag

lead_chirag New Member

absolutely fena....ur ryt....spending 30k sucks bt still i would spend cuz i love bass nd i have passion to create music....btw i forgot to mention that m playing drums since 4-5 years so i've got a nice understanding of beat,timing nd rhythm :)
    Nywaz thanks alot

Cheers