Bass Amplifier Help

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by sanjivdas, Dec 29, 2006.

1. sanjivdas

sanjivdas New Member

I am looking to buy a Bass Amplifier. I have choices between the Laney RB series and the Marshall MB Series. The prices that I have got are

Laney 15 W - Rs 4200 on bajaao
    Marshal 15 W - Rs 5650 from Bhargava, Bandra
    Laney 30 W - Rs. 6900 from Bajaao
    Marshall 30 W - Rs. 7850 from Bhargava, Bandra

Some people told me the Marshall Bass amps are generally better than Laney and that the service back up of Laney was not too strong. Any comments on this?

Also, does anyone know if these amps are available anywhere in Bangalore. And, where are the Laneys made?...Shreyas, you could tell me maybe?

Cheers

2. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

well im not too sure about your views about laney service cus ive never had a problem with my amp so far apart from a little extra noise caused by my footswitch....and when i told ashu(from bajaao) that he asked me if he should send another FS-2 and i was like no because its just a lil extra humm... So if buy the laney from bajaao you should get red carpet treatment hehe:) and as for place of manufacture...mine doesnt say it...but im 99% sure its made in UK because i think i saw it somewhere on the amp...will let u know by nightfall

cheers,
    laney

3. yazi

yazi Banned

Well, my ex bassist had one of those bass amps made by Laney and they gave excellent support the time it broke down. But that was in UK. Don't know about India, though.

4. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

and sanjiv - my laney is made in UK this is what is says

"Designed and Assembled in the UK by BLT Industries LTD"

5. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

^^are the LX series made in UK too ?

6. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

not sure about lower LXs but my friend's LX35 is

7. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

^^Laney ......could you give a true and impartial view of which do u like better between your 50W TFX and ur frnds 30W LX35 & why ?

oh btw is it the 35d or the 35R ?

8. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

Umm honestly, and not because its my laney and stuff....i prefer my TFX1.

Why? because i prefer a warmer tone. And the tone on the LX is probably like a marshall, but with more improvements. With some tweaking the equalizer i found that both amps sounded more or less alike. But the laney had something more than the TFX. Maybe its the Tube Emulation....and maybe not too....But i prefer my amps overall "tone" to that of the LX.....

Cheers,
    laney

9. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

^^OK Kool thnx, so basically there aint a major difference between the two, just some subtle preferencial likings na ?

10. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

I have played on the Marshall Bass Amp and I liked it. But Sanjiv, one very sincere suggestion. Whatever be the make of the amp or wattage of the amp, make sure the speaker is 12" and nothing lesser than that. However good the amp is, if the speaker is small, it wears out very fast. Nothing can save this.

11. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

@Devil : No there is quite a big difference...but that difference is my personal preference....if u get what im saying.... Basically my amp is bigger , got a bigger speaker and stuff...so donno how to compare them both...maybe a 50 watt Extreme series can be compared but IMO the LX12 is not as good.....and plus...the LX doesnt have a FX Send/Revcieve....and the LX has an awful distortion...but as for Clean tones....they are more or less the same...but i like the Warm/Fat...less edgy tone of my amp...

12. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

adaboy laney, now thats some comparison :grin:

13. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

hehe....im not that good at typing out a review....lol...i could demonstrate....when we gig next ill bring my friends amp back home and try give you a 1 on 1 review....cheers till then,
    laney

14. tapandey27

tapandey27 New Member

lWhat about Marshall 30 W? It has 10" speaker. Will it be ok for room practice or a small jam sessions?

Currently I have stranger 40W(12"speaker) Indian made?

Please guide me.

Thanks
    Tapan