Atheistic Faith At Work

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by dlogic, Aug 5, 2005.

1. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Man has always been divided into cults. Just think....if it's not Hindus and Muslims...it's blacks and whites...if not race, then it's Left and Right, if it's not politics, it's East Bengal VS Mohun Bagan(which is as ridiculous as it gets)....it can go on forever. Just think...in a nation of brown skinned people, girls are prejudiced against because of the colour of their skin. It is why these farcical beauty creams like Fair and Lovely sell. They exploit this very weakness of human nature that you speak of...Their advertisements insult my intelligence and yet there is nothing I can do about it because this prejudice is inbred in every one of us. It is an insanely amusing yet sad thing. So you see, man would always find a way to create problems. Religion is just a soft target because in a lot of areas it becomes heavily involved with politics. Even there it is not religion that is at fault...it is used as a tool to gain power. If I murdered someone, I would not expect the knife to undergo trial...why this attitude with religion?

As for the ideologies that religion primarily preaches, they are little more than basic guidelines which I like to think of as part of common sense. We all studied moral science in lower classes....that is really what religion, in its simplest form, is. It helps us merge into a society and be good members of it. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Yes. I do notice. But I distinctly remember my science teacher say the exact same thing to me when I asked him something he thought to be silly. It is not knowledge of religion that makes people behave like this but it is the ignorance of religion which comes to the surface in situations like these. It is because they themselves do not know why they are doing what they are doing that they snap at us. Any real teacher (be it science or religion) would not do this.

Religion cannot be held responsible for the mutation of good intentions. Once again we have only ourselves and our ignorance to blame.

This is where I disagree with you outright. Truth is decided by those in power. Take the example of a war where the loser is forced to accept the terms of the winners. This is a complicated question which can be argued for or against for long periods....something I'm not in the mood to do but I'll just say I disagree.

You see, man is primarily a social creature. For most of us(myself included), it is almost a nescessity to belong....anywhere. It starts off when we are children and want the G.I.Joe figures that all the other cool kids have....or be fashion savvy in an attempt to conform to what society calls "hep"...and it goes down to sad places like laughing clubs and kittie groups and internet forums even...This is why religion is such a nescessity. It is all-encompassing regardless of our differences. This is why we don't all make our own religion and live by it, it would not solve the purpose of togetherness....It would be rather silly of me to sacrifice a baboon as a part of my "customized" religion right in front of my friend who practices Jainism na?

Religion was such a wonderful concept when it began. It was just a way of bringing people closer together. It is natural for people to come together if they are branded a part of the same group.

I've speculated a lot about how it all began....I am basically agnostic though I do burn a couple of phuljaris infront of Lakshmi and Ganesh during Diwali and have fun during the Durga Pujas. I asked myself why they had to have concepts like a spiritual force, fantastic places like heaven and hell and the likes....

A basic human tendency is to always try and get the best for yourself with minimum effort. However, it would be quite impossible for a society to work that way. What could actually stop people from lying, stealing, looting their way to comfort? Simple. Fear of the unknown. There was so much unexplained during those times...most scientific phenomena could be attributed to being supernatural. Even the most hardened of us fear the unknown...irrespective of how courageous we are. How exactly will you face your fear if you do now know what it is? "God" instilled a certain fear in everyone...good or bad. Religion also explained these then-thought-to-be supernatural phenomena and gave people a sense of security.

Then I asked myself "how then did it become what it is today"? What was the need for religion to evolve? The wonderful thing about fear is that it lasts but for a short while. Thus it was nescessary for religion to get more and more complicated to keep "the fear" which was essential for society to survive. What it has become today amuses me.

I could go on and on about my silly hypothetical theory but I'd rather not...

2. dlogic

dlogic Zuitarist

@kaiser pal if you write one wrong word bjr is gona fix it buy writing another 10 words......the point is do some logical thinking on what is said.....as you can see nothing can defy logic and thus you cant blame someone or some thing for the problems.......everyone gets what they deserve.....i guess people of this era deserve being in problem thats why they are in a problem

@bjr ......i just love your style of point by point fu<king ................i tried (if you check the prev post) it but couldnt get any success.........need some tutoring......he heeheh

3. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

4. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Well said.

haha, trust me man...it's not a good thing. You make too many enemies this way.

I'm not trying to start a fight or anything really...At least no at most times :eek::

5. dlogic

dlogic Zuitarist

i dont care for making enemies.....as long as i am following the truth!!!

6. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

yeah ...

sach ke liye ladne waalaa ...

hamaare neta kaisa ho ...
    dlogic jaisa ho ... :)

ok will not spam from now on ...

7. m_waleed86

m_waleed86 KhaMosh GhuStAk

great...really great

8. guns_n_gore

guns_n_gore hell raiser

thats what i said my point of view did not match with death dr and my pont of view somewhat matches with dlogic

9. kaiser

kaiser Bored

i swear to whatever god u believe in, and whatever your religion, i enjoyed every bit of your reasoning. not that i agree with you.

its heartening that someone takes your comments so seriously and bothers to reason. even members of my family or my friends dont listen to my sh*t. thank you.

i too could go on with MY hypothetical stuff but lets stop here...its not gonna end. what i wanna know is: are you religious, you forgot to mention that...hehe. if you are, anyway, then it amuses me that a person of your intellect can be religious or support religion.

where you from btw?

10. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

We can agree to disagree...it's fun that way since it keeps an internet forum interesting and because that means that we don't really get along brilliantly but don't go around bashing each other...we can share a beer anytime though :beer:

I think I mentioned something somewhere...I said I'm primarily agnostic(agnostic means someone who believes that the existence of God cannot be proved) with a few twists...the only puja I do is burn a couple of phuljaris infront of a miniature Lakshmi-Ganesh and sometimes perform "anjalis" in Durga Puja if a pretty girl asks me to join her.

However, I believe there is God....not a being which we can define but a manifestation of the strength of belief. It's not something I truly understand(and I wont pretend that I do) and I don't expect to before I'm 50 but I think I'm headed that way. I also believing in living by the core principles of religion. I try to be kind and helpful to people weaker than me, try to do my bit for charity and other things that I expect other human beings to do regardless of the religion they follow.

However, actually saying all this can cast you out of certain groups so for the official record book(namely people other than my friends and family), I am a Hindu.

EDIT: I'm from Calcutta....(I cant stand the new name...it sets us back 50 years)

11. dlogic

dlogic Zuitarist

truly speaking i am not religious.........i celebrated diwali and other festivals not because of the rituals i do it cuz i like playing holi , and bursting crackers on a diwali day....or may be my parents tell me to do some ritual...cuz i respect them....

i have had this sort of debate earlier...and after that i had some research done....
    and found that hindism is not a religion its a way of life will helps you understand life better and nothing is compulsory in hinduism...and lots of other intresting facts which come up in me when i am in flow in having a disscusion(and not an argument)( heheh sorry for that).....

12. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

dlogic, the same goes for every religion out there. It is only the extremists who make you think otherwise.

13. kaiser

kaiser Bored

calcutta is too far away. im from jaipur. the beer thing aint gonna happen.

btw.....when we agree to disagree, we're actally getting along and not not getting along. point f*ucking does'nt necessarily make enemies.....eh dlogic?

14. dlogic

dlogic Zuitarist

^^^ yup it dosent .....but it improves the understanding both the ppl who are having discussion....

15. rechts_234

rechts_234 New Member

why is god always 'up'?

16. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs &amp; Pasta

Yeah! If god is in one point of the universe, then it shouldnt be 'up' 24 hours a day, If god is everywhere it shouldnt be only 'up'.

17. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

yeah, you see the wonderful thing about being an ad-ult is that you can actually see other people's point of view yet not lose your own. You can just acknowledge that each person has the right to believe what they want to and go seperate ways. That would be agreeing to disagree. I wouldn't ever agree to disagree on something like slavery or child marriages...so you see there is a difference in what I'm ready to let go and what I'm not.

The sad thing is that most people are usually disagreeing to agree...and they spend eternity in trying to convince people to go their way.

18. dlogic

dlogic Zuitarist

i dont know its a convention