Arpeggios - help wanted

Discussion in 'Guitar Tablature Discussion' started by laneymaney, Dec 26, 2006.

1. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

Hi,
    Ive started practicing arpeggios a lot now and i want to know how to pick it. Currently im doing all down strokes. Is that wrong?

Thanks
    laney

2. siddyjain

siddyjain New Member

All down strokes helps in speed if you going down in the arpeggio, it's called sweep picking, i think. It's alright that way. but when you're coming up from the high e string then it's better to upstroke them all the way.

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

There uis a difference between arpeggios and what you are talking about.
    What you are talking about is a technique called sweep picking.

Arpeggios are individual notes of a chord.

Ofcourse you may play an arpeggio using sweep picking. Or you may play using slides and legato.

4. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I don't think he's talking about the sweep exactly. I think it's more like how it's convenient to play just downstrokes while descending strings.

You shouldn't do that unless you're actually looking to practice the sweet technique. Ideally you should be alt picking. The choice, in the end, is yours though.

5. shak

shak Harrr!

i have always believed that the best technique comes by itself naturally .. then if it sounds right and isnt a burden, there remains no question of right or wrong.

6. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

While this approach seems to be logical, I've invariably found myself having to unlearn some things because they hampered my progress. However, natural instincts should be taken into account....perhaps that's where a teacher is most important?

7. yazi

yazi Banned

Natural instincts are fine till they adhere to customs. For all you know, what might be your natural instinct today might the pain in the @$$ fo some new technique because they keep interfering.

8. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

Wen u play slow...try to use alternate picking coz it will improve ur technique and wen u play fast, just sweep pick it....

9. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

thanks for the replies guys. I need to practice alternative picking....pain in the A$$ when i play some faster stuff...

10. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

one last question:

Whats the difference between shredding and fast alt picking?