Are there any Custom/ Duty charges for purchsing a guitar online

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by vipin_slash, Jul 4, 2005.

1. vipin_slash

vipin_slash New Member

Hi Guys,
    Can someone lemme know, Are there any Custom/ Duty charges for purchsing a guitar online.There are some vendors like www.americanmusical.com
    etc.who can ship the guitar, but is there any hassle of increase in price of guitar
    due to customs duties.I mean wats the procedure exactly...for purchasing a guitar
    online.Can u suggest a good online guitar vendor.I am interested in Ibanez.

Regards
    Vipin_Slash

2. sridhar11_2

sridhar11_2 Instrumental guitarist

There is definitely customs charges for importing the guitar.That means you'd have to pay the guitar price+shipping+customs . To my knowledge the custom on guitars is 15%. In mathematical terms If X is the guitar cost ,Y is the shipping cost then the total amount to be paid= X+Y+ 15/100 x X .........

3. Orange Guitar

Orange Guitar IGT's ALLROUNDER

yup...there are charges like customs duty....if u r in india and pakistan...guitar cannot be shipped to you...they only ship to america and canada!

4. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

hey wait a minute. i thought it was 40%?

5. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

it deopends - if u get trhe guitar with u on ur person - theres no duty.. else if u import through a dealer the dealer pays tariff and passes it onto u bcoz hes into wholesale.

also - if u order into the us theres a 5% tax in some staets - eg. vermont and new jersey.. not sure about the others...

6. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

I have a related question..say someone brings stuff(from US to India) like cables,multifx processor,strings etc in baggage...how much customs on that??

7. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

as long as there arent too many (anything less than say twenty is good) - u cna jsut say its for eprsonal use... btw - as far as i know the tax on electrical items has been removed.

dont worry u can walk right through no questions asked - jsut say its something u use for ur guitar at home.

lastly dont ask how to break the law on igt - u might get the admin here into problemms for no reason - remember that this is a public forum (asin anyone can see wat uve posted)

8. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

hmm..I should be more careful with my posts...bad phrasing on my part...actually wanted to know what all can be brought in which doesnt have custom duty on it..I will edit the post ..

9. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

35% is the custom for guitar. I thought of doing it but 35% was too much when I had to include a large shipping with insurance price.

10. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

see i was pretty close ;)

11. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

But you can get it through without any duties if you know people at the Airport Customs. My suggestion for this get a simple Digicam when you are buying an expensive guitar. Most of the times you'd be able to give away the Digicam to the customs guy to let you carry the guitar. Digicam, Discman and things like that can do the job. Anyway only beggars are there at the Customs, so you can easily get your way out.

12. vipin_slash

vipin_slash New Member

Right Said Friend!

13. .:VinAY:.

.:VinAY:. New Member

Hmm so tht basically means u shud nt hav too many problems getting the guitar on person...rite??:)
    I plan to get one through my uncle in Canada in abt 10 days.I think thr shudnt be any custom duty cos u can say tht u play it urself[les jus pray he doesnt ask u to play sumthin for him;)].
    Anothr thing...do the guys allow u to carry the guitar as cabbin baggage or do u havto to put it as luggage cos then iL havto ensure good casig for the guitar too...

14. despremee

despremee New Member

Guitar Case

Better go for a hard case. Guitars are 'generally' not allowed as cabin baggage in transatlantic flights anymore.
    Besides, your uncle will get only 2 bags x 32 kgs allowance per head for checked-in baggage and 1 cabin baggage of not more than 7-8 kgs !!
    It's gonna be tough.

15. .:VinAY:.

.:VinAY:. New Member

cool...iL tell him tht.thx a lot des...uv been of a lot of help :)