Another rant: Dream Theatre just bores me to tears

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by Mr. Scary, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Bass-tard Child

I've tried COUNTLESS of times to really get into this band... I just can't do it. Is the music just too complex for me?

2. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

Even im not a huge dream theatre fan.

i do like some of their work but thats it.
    and yes i do love odd time signatures and complex structure in a song.
    so i guess it doesnt have to do with that.

its just a matter of taste.

3. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

You are musically ignorant and dont know what true progressive music is.

Same here. Makes me fall asleep. But porcupine tree(more prog rock) is quite good.

4. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

^^ lol @u are musically ignorant and dont know what true prog music is..hahah..

wassup man..

5. shsnawada

shsnawada Cyborgs & Pasta

Not that i hate dream theater. They inspired a lot of bands that i listen to.

The reason why i'm musically ignorant and not truly prog is that i dont consume weed + the other reasons.

6. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

heheh..

i saw john myungs bass instructional a few days back..
    that guys got the chops..but he just showed x number of scales on his yamaha 6 string..

im just waiting for dennis to post in this thread..

7. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

I'd rather listen to Madonna and Michael Jackson than Dream Theater. Forced myself to listen to them but gave up finally. Couldn't tolerate them. In progressive I'd rather prefer to Jethro Tull or Uriah Heep. These guys had some sense of making good to listen tunes than being simply being egoistic about making it tough to play. They also made it tough to listen.

8. jekyll

jekyll Banned

all u ppl,
    i am with you.

cannot bear the modern Prog Rock music.

9. tejas

tejas ..........

I've tried too,but failed. I just feel they are too perfect for me. I like a few songs though but quite like shsnawada I prefer other prog rock like porcupine tree, king crimson etc..

10. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Then why our own COMP goes in odd time signature !!!!!

11. ronnieanand

You dumb guys dont understand Dream Theater and their music :mad:

How nice it is. Most of you guys have failed in your math paper. Dont care if you are deaf but you need to know your math properly. Preferably take Calculus I and Calculus II before you buy anything.

Check out their great song song. Learn to respect them :nw:

Intro:

de = cp * dT / T - g * dp / p
    cp * dT = dp / r
    (1 / (gam -1)) * dp /p = (gam / (gam -1)) * dr /r

Verse:

u = M * s, s ^2 = gam * g * T, h = cp * T
    cp * Tt = cp * T + M ^2 * s ^2 / 2
    cp * Tt = cp * T + M ^2 * gam * g * T / 2
    cp * Tt = cp * T + M ^2 * gam * g * T / 2

Chorus:

cp * Tt = cp * T + M ^2 * s ^2 / 2 * 3.1415
    cp * T : Tt / T = 1 + M ^2 * gam * g / (2 * cp)

Repeat Verse, Chorus as many times as you can remember all these formulas.

12. ronnieanand

What crap. My comp is in proper time signature. I am just totally using syncopations. Using syncopation in the Rhythm is common right from the Rock n Roll days.
    You studied too much maths I guess. :think:
    Anyway whatever you say Nanda :nw: :nw: :nw:

13. Mr. Scary

Actually, its not that Im not a Progressive metal fan, Tejas pretty much summed it up for me. I too like odd time signatures. Its definitley not the length of the songs either, then i would started a thread on how Opeth bores me too (no, they dont).

Its that, you got a band with members that are ****ING talented, i mean these guys are ****ing Berkeley graduates!! The best music school out there!!! When you go to a kick ass music school, you have such a background in music, you could only expect kick ass music. I find it suprising that I enjoy listening to the more simple progressive metal bands such as Porcupine Tree (i love this band) and King Crimson (thanks tejas for getting me into this band).

Not to mention James LaBrie should be shot!

John Petrucci is a monster of a guitar player, that solo he pulled off on Under a Glass Moon is just amazing...but I can't stand the whole song.

John Myung? Amazing bassist, as Mr. Jared already said, he's got some nice chops (Asian people with their hands/fingers...dont mess!)

I don't really have anything to say about the other two. Portonoy, meh, yeah he's a good drummer, but people should stop considering him as a god and check out some of the less known jazz drummers out there...or even the MANY AMAZING drummers in the extreme metal scene.

14. ronnieanand

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Let me know after you shoot. Will get you beer :beer: :beer: :beer:

He howls like crazy. We can replace him with that singer in your other thread. I mean that Sweetie Pie song.

15. Mr. Scary

You could get arrested for giving beer to a minor...perhaps you can hold it till March?

As for the motion of replacing LaBrie with the kid, it would be a waste. I see that kid having a future in the black metal scene.

16. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

^^^ Yeah.. just paint his face...

Dream Theatre are good, no doubt.
    But the complexity may drive you away...
    Listening to really complex solos in each and every track in a 9-10 track album = may put you off...

I'd say, listen in moderation...

After all, too much of a good thing does spoil it's taste?

17. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

arghhh...

i think i'm the only dream theatre fan round here (exept for dennis i think)

anywayz after getting tired with metal and the old blues and jazz and stuff.....
    for me only dream theatre doesnt make me bored !!!

i think itz the way we experience rock.....for instance me and dennis both started out METALHEADS ( thrash /speed, and all ) ...when we got bored of em we then came 2 the oldies like led zep, deep purple etc.. to taste sumthing new...

and after getting bored with dat...we tried sumthing different, a new style, a new technique we've ever experienced....PROG ROCK !!

cmon ppl john petrucci..is a god compared to hammet and all.....
    and after seeing myung...*SHOCKED* ( i never thought dat a bassist could play faster than the lead guitarist ...hehehe ....even diggorio does dat sumtimes... )

mike portnoy....badass drummer.....check out sum of his vids from mikeportnoy.com!!

even their keyboardist jordan rudess pretty gud ..

overall for me dream theatre is an awsum band ...with just one lil problem ............
    ..................................THEIR VOCALIST SUXX !!!!!

keeps on shouting all the time as if there's a pin up his ass !!
    ..all the songz are better without him ..definately !!

but anywayz ...all it matters down each one's taste !!

18. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

Dream theatre is a GREAT band. their lneup has one of the most talented musicians in the world. compositions like erotomania, silent man, pull me under, metropolis are indeed worth a listen. the weakest link indeed is labrie. i'm all in favour of shooting him.
    and a question. did derek sherinian ever play for DT?

19. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

humph!!!

this thread makes me sick..all u sickos!!!
    ..ok, theek hai..kya karoon mein, i just love dream theater (jared knows of my medical condition ;) ).

Dream Theater is the best band to have ever made music , just love their concepts, the complexities, mood swings time changes etc etc etc etc.. the lyrics are awesome, riffs are awesome..solos are heart wrenching -> spine tingling.,, ..ahh, i donno what..i jsut can identify oh so much with their music.

Not to mention the individual technical extremeties.

Oh, yeah..im not some freak who just listens to progrock/dt.
    Im a freak who listens to everything from Classical Rock to Metal
    ..but im a freak who finds Dream Theater to be better than them all.

PS1: Hadh hoti hai King Crimson accha laga hai aur DT nahi...matlab King Crimson kabhi suna hi nahi hoga , cuz KC is way more experimental/progressive than DT ever was.

PS2: I dont smoke weed

PS3: I dont even drink.(ok..im lying :p: )

20. dharmatma

dharmatma Banned

finally some dream theatre fans..

it was gettin a little boring with everyone bashing dream theatre..

one thing i like abt dream theatre is PETRUCCI S TONE.

and yes i have rock discipline..too.
    picked up more than a few tips from there.