An experimentation request:

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by debankan, Jan 23, 2006.

1. debankan

debankan The bassist from hell

I was experimenting with the equilizer settings of my amp. I kept treble 7, mid 1 and bass 4. It gave compltely different sounds for rythm and lead. Will You guys try it out on your amps? I turned off the equilizer in my processorbefore hand, mind it.

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Yeah the basics of EQ is amplifying certain frequencies and attentuating certain.

Usually three controls are there:
    1. Bass: This controls the volume of the low frequencies from you guitar/amp. Usually around 100-200Hz.
    Increasing this produces a good thump while palm muting. Hence, if you want a good "chugging" sound while Palm Muting, consider raising the Bass.

Reduce the bass if you want clarity in your notes. The "mud" is usually there around 300Hz. So raising the bass, usually incearses the "mud", which reduces your notes ringing out clearly.

2. Mids/Contour: THE MOST IMPORTANT knob. Usually controls around 600-800Hz. This makes your guitar tone fat or thin.
    Increasing it will make your guitar seem louder and fatter. (Even though you didnt change the volume). suitable for hard-rock tone
    Decreasing will make the tone thin - suitable for metal.

3. Treble - Controls the 1500-3000Hz. Raising this will make the guitar tone harsher and more clear.
    Reducing will lead to tone losing its clarity + getting muddy.
    Usually it is kept moderately high, unless you want a "cutting" tone: then you raise it.
    Or is you want a warm muddy tone: U reduce it.

Sometimes there is a Presence control too, that controls the higher frequencies (dunno exactly which ones).
    It doesnt directly affect your guitar tone, but makes it sound bright (high presence) or dark (low presence).

3. debankan

Please some one give me a review of the settings I posted. Thanx for all the info,alpha1!

4. debankan

Can anyone post some good equilizer settings for bass guitar?

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Let the bassists give answer to that.

Mine pref will be having tons of treble to enhance the slap n pop style of playing.
    Cutting most ofthe mids.

Bass moderately high.

Scooped mid thingy. :p

6. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

You are supposed to be Stu Hamer baap but dont realize the fact that different wood, pickup, amp would have different EQ settings for getting similar tone.

7. ronnieanand

What :shock: :shock: Scooped Mid on Bass Too :nw: :annoyed:

8. debankan

I have my own settings. I just wanted to know what the other players suggest. I am always open to suggestions. My own settings are Treble 7, mid 1 and bass 4. The tone knob of my guitar at 5. I switch all the 4 pick-ups on my bass on. This way I get different tones when I pluck near the bridge or neck.

9. ronnieanand

You are not getting my point. It again depends on what guitar and what amp you use. I play a Tulasi Les Paul Copy with DiMarzio Norton and DiMarzio PAF Pro pickups. I use my home made amp and home made 2x12 speaker cabinet. By nature, the pickups are dark sounding. My amp is also a very dark sounding amp. So my setting is keeping the bass at about 1 and treble at about 8. This setting in a Marshall will sound horribly trebly but in my amp it's really dark with defined bass and rounded treble. So these EQ are not common across amps. Dude, wake up and realize this.

10. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

^ I agree to what Ronnie has written.

Wood + Pikcup + Speaker + Amp makes a hell lots adiff to teh tone.

Maybe more than EQ sometimes.

11. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

theres no perfect eq for sure. in fact i need to cmpletely change my eq when i change the amp im using. i usually have to change the eq even if i use a different distortion on y processor. you jsut have to mess around with the settings until you are happy with how it sounds