AMT Fatal Tube vs AMT California sound

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by alpha1, Feb 7, 2006.

1. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

This might help those who are confused like me.

I was initially confused coz the clips at the site: https://www.amtelectronics.com/eng/company.html has similar sounding clips for California as well as Fatal Tube.

Here is what the d00ds say to clarify my doubts:
    his reply
    Hmm so California emulates Mesa/Boogie (knew this)
    and Fatal Tube emulates Bogner (AHA!, this is something new)

another one:
    and their reply:
    Cool, this comes from the person who made those clips on the website.

On personal note: both these AMT pedals are NOT AT ALL fizzy/fuzzy etc. They sound very soft and lush.

2. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

Dood. Except the Bogner thingy, I could have demonstrated the whole thing to you. You know I have both of them. Anyway what you saw that day was just the tip of the iceberg :). My recommendation is Fatal Tube for you.

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Hmm

But Dimitar is recommending California.
    Besides, California has more gainy sound, Fatal can be made heavy due to its mids control (which can get the scooped mid sound). But what about the hardcore gainy sound???

One thing that is there is: EQ can be set by the amp too. Aint it?
    In what other way does Fatal Tube score over California?

4. ronnieanand

Yeah... Dimitar recommended me California Sound too. He said Fatal Tube is meant for Blues. C'mon dont tell me you can't do Metal with Fatal Tube. It can Churn out more Metal than California Sound. Fatal Tube is more versatail. Choice is yours.

5. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Ok now temme:

1. Which has more chugging power? (or which can cook up more bass)
    2. Which has higher distortion? (or higher gain)
    3. Which sound more rounded and fat? (even after putting Fatal tube's countour at max)
    4. Which has better tone clearing up (by reducing the guitar volume)?
    5. Which looks cheezier? Blue or Black :p:

6. ronnieanand

1. Which has more chugging power? (or which can cook up more bass) - Fatal Tube
    2. Which has higher distortion? (or higher gain) - California Sound
    3. Which sound more rounded and fat? (even after putting Fatal tube's countour at max) - California Sound
    4. Which has better tone clearing up (by reducing the guitar volume)? - Fatal Tube
    5. Which looks cheezier? Blue or Black :p: - Black

7. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

1. Which has more chugging power? (or which can cook up more bass)= Metalizer
    2. Which has higher distortion? (or higher gain)=Metalizer
    3. Which sound more rounded and fat? (even after putting Fatal tube's countour at max)=Metalizer
    4. Which has better tone clearing up (by reducing the guitar volume)?=Metalizer
    5. Which looks cheezier? Blue or Black :p: = Blue, definately blue

Metalizer \m/

Attached Files:

8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Crap !!!
    Metallizer is good only for thrash.

AMT California, British and Fatal Tube rawk!!!

9. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Thrash..yuck...HOW DARE U!!!!!
    Dilli aa...mein tujhey dikhata hoon!!!! :aggre:

10. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

But d00d you gotta admit that California IS more FAT n MIDDY
    Fatal Tube IS more BASSY and chuggy.

None of the AMT pedals have good cleanup.

Metallizer distortion rules though.

11. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Hmm I think I am veering towards Sunny California.

12. ronnieanand

Last night I was jamming with my band. I was playing through BD2 and then used the Tube Screamer for a solo boost. We were jamming on a few songs. Inspite of both overdrive being cascaded, it was amazingly responsive to my picking. Half way through my jamming, I started picking very softly and it sounded almost clean and my drummer thought I switched off the Distortion, the way it sounded. Then I got it real distorted playing just by picking it hard. The gain was kept pretty high in both the pedals and I could get a sustain of about 15 seconds at least if you thought I played it with very low overdrive. Had a compliment about the tone that it sounded like Trey Anastasio. For the uninformed, he is a rawking guitarist and also the guitar for the greatest jam band of the last decade Phish. He was also a guitarist for Oysterhead (Trey - Guitars, Vocals, Les Claypool - Bass, Steward Copeland - Drums)

I need a tube screamer somehow :think: :think:

13. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

TS7 or TS9?
    or Jacques TubeBlower?

14. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Ronnie...are you talking about the Ibanez wala ya Maxon wala?

15. ronnieanand

The original TS9, TS808 were made by Maxon but delivered to Market under the name Ibanez. Now the reissue ones are there from Ibanez and I heard that the Maxon ones are not as good. Thinking of TS808, TS9 modded to TS808 specs by Keeley or Analogman or Vodka Mods or Tube Blower. Basically I am going for a Tube Screamer or a Tube Screamer Clone. Yesterday I got so touched by BD2 and I am thinking again whether to sell it or not. The greed thing would be to keep BD2 and then buy Tube Screamer, Barber Direct Drive and Toadworks Death Rattle II and experiment but pocket doesn't permit :eek:: .

16. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

You are a terminal case of overdrive pedal GAS:p:

17. chintan9

chintan9 yay! i won the ipod!

THat you get by eating a lot of channa batoora ^^^^^^^^