Amp to Comp

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by getimmersed, Jan 14, 2007.

1. getimmersed

getimmersed New Member

hi everybody,
    i have a gb&a electric and i just recently bought a Kustom cube 15... I want to connect my amp to my comp so i can record stuff cos using a mic is just too inconvenient... how do i do this... do i need a similar cord like the one i use for guitar to amp???

thanks for the help...

arjun

2. yazi

yazi Banned

1. Go to a mic or audio electronics store.
    2. Show them your guitar lead(wire)
    3. Ask for a converter pin for conversion to computer
    4. will cost you 15 bucks at most.

3. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

i paid 20 :S .....
    @threadstarter : does ur amp have an out?

4. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

1)Throw the Kustom out of the window
    2)Get a Zoom/Digitech Pedal OR Download Guitar Rig 2 OR Get a Stranger
    3)Get a 1/4" to 1/8" convertor
    4)Connect it to your computer

5. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

@getimmersed: You'll need a line out/headphones out or some such from your amp to connect it to your computer. You can use a 1/8" jack with a 1/4" converter on the amp side or a 1/4" jack with a 1/8" converter on the sound card side.

@TheDevil: Have you any tips to get GR2 working with an SBLive! card? I'm using ASIO (kxdriver) but the output is very odd, it only processes it if I hit the strings really hard. I'm guessing something may be wrong with the input but I can't figure it out.

6. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

Yea the Guitar direct to the Scard sends a thinner signal.....I had the same problem.I then connected the DODGrunge pedal i had lying around which i seldom used and it boosted the signal quite well...I dont overdrive with it, just turn the knob upto a level which can help it send an adequate amount of signal....try connecting any mfx system or pedal.Alternatively You could try using the Asio4all driver Might be a fault with the driver or something https://www.asio4all.com/

7. thehundredthone

I am running it through a GFX-707II for preamp. I've tried through bypass and through a clean patch. Both result in the same problem. The input is detected and there is output, but it's, well, patchy.

8. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

hmm...whts ur comp spec like ?

9. Double Click

Double Click New Member

Can u describe it alittle better? Is it just a matter of volume or is the sound getting clipped/broken?

10. thehundredthone

@TheDevil: It's a P4 2.8Ghz w/ i865 mobo, SBLive! 5.1 and 200GB of HD space.

@Doubleclick: There's no clipping, the output is not discernable unless I strum hard meaning there's probably a problem with input levels. It's like when I play normally there's no output, but then there is some amount when I play really hard. Sounds like a volume swell :p:

11. Double Click

Double Click New Member

Go to ur soundcard properties and increase the volume of the line in/ mic input. Whichever u are using.

12. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

^^^ LOL
    @THO...hmmm so its not a latency problem ? U can hear it immediately as u strum hard right ? how much RAM btw ?

13. thehundredthone

@Double Click: I don't think it's a problem with the Line In volume. It's almost maxed out. What is happening is that GR2 has a problem with the input levels. Without GR2 I can hear myself fine. I then mute the playback level for the line in and try through GR2, where I don't get any output (though the meter seems to register something) unless it (the meter) goes into the clipping range - which is when I play hard. It's probably got something to do with the ASIO inputs that I select. I guess maybe I need to muck around with the routing.

@TheDevil: 512MB of RAM. Shouldn't it be enough? There is latency no doubt (5-10ms depending on what I set it to), I don't think I can avoid that but the volume problem is still there.

14. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

^ is that an External Card? The SBlive...cus i got the SBLive 24Bit and maybe i could help ya out..

15. thehundredthone

Nope it's an internal SBLive! 5.1 16bit card.

16. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

ok there should be a Creative control panel....go there and there should be an EQ for all ur needs like

Speaker Level
    Mic Level etc etc..

17. thehundredthone

^^ I know :p:
    Creative doesn't really provide ASIO drivers for their cards. The drivers that need to be used for low latency are provided by the kxproject and asio4all. The kxproject replaces the Creative Mixer (which, btw is linked to the windows mixer anyway). It also provides a few extra panels like dsp and routing where you can control the routing of ASIO inputs and outputs which I did, but there is still a problem with the level of input while playing through GR2. Without GR2 I can simply unmute the playback line in volume, and switch to a patch on my 707II and play. What I wanted to see were the amp sims and also to some extent the drive modules because though my speakers sound better than a Stranger Cube 20M they still sound like shit for the guitar.