AMD or Intel?

Discussion in 'Computer Forum' started by nebuchadnezzar, Feb 28, 2005.

1. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Hey guyz...which processor and configuration do u favor...AMD or Intel?

Intel has been a pioneer in the field of processors..AMD is the upstart....some ppl swear by Intel and refuse to consider anything else....but with their 64 bit coup AMD have finally put it across to their big brother....

I am an AMD lover...I prefer the AMD-nForce platform to Intel P4 platform...nothing provides that kind of price-performance ratio.......
    and AMD-64 rulz....

2. abhay_saxena

abhay_saxena Lord of the strings

i don't mind either of them .. not worked on AMD but intel is upto my needs .. . performance wise as well as maintenance wise

3. aleric

aleric New Member

Yeah, AMD is better with the price-performance ratio.

Haven't used AMD 64 bit processor, but have heard that its worth every penny.

4. rizaaj

rizaaj Forum Leader

naaaah.. i dont like AMD's .. i have used them but the use to stuck more .. intel stucks but not often.. at my inet cafe we kept some AMD's but it gave us nothing except customer complaints of slow performance...

5. light_of_erindi

light_of_erindi New Member

Intel all the way....AMD sucks for Indian conditins....overheats too often....
    BTW... the fact that they have to support all the Intel instruction set tells the story...
    Though they have come up with their own graphic specific instruction set....It's all cheap imitation if u ask me....they were copying Intel chips all the time...until 486 ... when Intel stopped lending the design to widen the market...Now they supposedly have a proprietory core...doubtful....
    AMD 64-bit can barely match the performance of Intel P4 Extreme edition... which is a 32 bit processor....r u comparing the 64 bit processor to 32 bit?.... LOL ...:)

6. rockin'away

rockin'away Banned

Intel rocks.... AMD rubbish!

7. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Thats wat I was talking about..ppl swear by Intel...as AMD is the upstart...
    I dont say Intel is bad..they have brought great innovations to microprocessors....but that does not imply that AMD is crap..
    It is cheaper and IMO is in no way inferior so why not go for it?....
    I never found my AMD Athlon Xp system running slower than a comparable P4 system..rather I found them to perform better...especially in games...
    Heating problems for Indian conditions...a thing of the past..if u have been following the developments..Intel has had major heating problems with their new Prescott cores...AMD-64 runs 'Cool n Quiet':p:
    And who told u they cant match the performance of Intel EE..?
    And we'll see wen 64 bit applications come along.....as of now it is also running the same 32 bit applications at no extra advantage of it being 64-bit....

8. light_of_erindi

Yes I have been following the developements...What I meant by "barely match the performance" is that it does overtake Intel EE in a minor way....sorry for the wrong framing of sentences...
    I had a hint that u were a AMD rebel...;).....well i must confess that it IS very good for graphics applications.
    Intel EE scores better on other fronts...off late I have heard AMD-64 tops that too...but Intel is yet to come out with 64 bit for desktops we can compare better then.

9. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Yup..thats the case..each has its own advantage... but for me the price is the clincher.....:)

10. Sanjay Mazumder

Sanjay Mazumder ~..::MASTERMIND::..~

Obivously AMD.

AMD rocks !

I use AMD Athlon XP 2400+ and it's Great. :)

Do U know what pic. is there on the dustbins of AMD head office? It's the Intel Inside Logo. :)

11. light_of_erindi

News Flash!....

.... news flash!!! Intel releases 64 bit capable version of P4...on 22nd feb
    check this out.....
    Intel 64 bit

I have already heard arguments on other forums that it is not truly 64 bit but only provides 64 bit "functionality".....still the benchmarks seem to indicate....it overtakes AMD 64...

Well this was going to happen eventually... After some time AMD will again come up with something better and Intel will try to top that....
    So the war goes on.....

12. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

Cool finally Intel steps in the 64 bit race, i wonder how long till we see this in Indian markets.

13. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

AMD is far superior than Intel any day of the week. There is a VAST difference in performance which becomes visible when you use two computers with same configurations with different processors. The only problem is the way it heats up a bit, but that's nothing a good cooling system, like a Zalman Flower cooler, can't take care of. They also made headway with the 64-bit processors. Nowadays if you check out a PC test campaign in an international PC magazine like PC Plus, 75% of the computers have AMD. It is being preferred by major companies like Time, Evesham, Mesh and Hewlett Packard. Mark my words, one day AMD will be the major market player and Intel will go broke.

14. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

they are both good.

AMD has better performance but Intel processors can take much more physical and electrical abuse.

basically intel make donkey processors. they'll last forever.

15. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Sayan...dude.. thats a bit xtreme..Im an AMD fan and all..but lets give credit where its due...Intel is the pioneer in this field they have created so many standards the world follows...even today there are a lot of ppl who wudnt touch anything that is not Intel..they arent gonna go broke in a hurry..in this fierce competition between the 2 we, the customers only stand to gain....:)
    But ya..AMD does rock!!

16. apratim.mitra

apratim.mitra You can call me apro

i personally prefer AMD as i have an AMD based system ... essentially there is no major difference in the speed of each as most of us don't have to go for applications which require a very high processor capabilities .... however i have to say this ... AMD absolutely rocks when it comes to gaming ... that is something Intel can't touch in their wildest dreams ... so all u game lovers AMD is the right choice ... :rock:

17. nadish

nadish Active Member

Nah. I had worst experience using AMD. Thats y now I'm aware of using that damn thing. And I'm happy with the perforance of Intel Processors...

18. JAZZ

JAZZ New Member

i go for intel.....

19. zoomingrocket

zoomingrocket TeChNiCaL AdMiNiStRaToR

Its AMD for me...
    You can say tat before 1 & half years.. i was an INTEL fan...
    But after using AMD.. i feel i was cheated by INTEL all the way now!

My AMD Athlon 2000+ XP beats any P4 based processor upto 2.6Ghz...
    Tats cos, INTEL was too obssessed with its peak processing speed...which hardly ever used to reach!
    While AMD always concentrated on Performance! So even though the clock speed of my AMD is just 1.67GHz.. it cracks out INTELS P4 in all departments!

And now, after much race ahead...INTEL to shifted to label its processors based on Performance ratio and not clock speeds!

Those who are feeling unsafe due to AMD's past heating problems....i can assure you my PC in on for nearly 18hrs continously and its temperature hardly crosses 38C!!
    So, the heating blues are a past with AMD now!

REgards,
    Zooom...!!

20. Gn'rlies

Gn'rlies New Member

two years from now ... IBM for me ... forget both intel and AMD ... IBM's new cell procesor will RULE the world ... mark my prophetic announcement ...

search IBM cell processor and you'll be enlightened .. :D