Am I good enough to be in a band?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by ericcartman, Mar 17, 2013.

1. ericcartman

ericcartman New Member

Hey everyone! First off, I'm new here and I'm not sure if this thread belongs here. So, my apologies if it doesn't. As the title suggests, I want to know if I'm good enough to be in a band. I'm seventeen years old. I have a Greg Bennett Avion AV-6 and a Roland 15-XL amplifier.

1. I've been playing the guitar for about 3-4 years. I've wasted a lot of time practicing all the wrong things.
    2. I know my scales - major, minor, pentatonic, blues and modes - well enough all over the fretboard.
    3. I know a bit of theory - intervals, chord construction, Neapolitan chords, modes etc.
    4. I can play solos from Metallica, Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden etc but not all.
    5. I have decent ears in the sense that I have figured out a few riffs in their right keys by ear.
    6. I'm familiar with tremolo picking, economy picking, to some extent finger-picking.
    7. I have written a few riffs and a song(words only).
    8. I can only sweep up to three strings with some difficulty.

So, my question is, am I good enough to be in a band? I mostly do legato instead of picking all the notes separately. Is that a problem? If I'm not good enough, what are some areas I should spend more time on? Please suggest. Thanks!

2. ericfan

ericfan New Member

spend some more time on fretboard exercises..!! know your notes all across the fretboard.!! horizontally and vertically.
    and you are more than qualified for a band playing..
    i know a friend whos only into playing solos...but plays ina band..!!
    u r good to go man..!! :)

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

You know even Kurt Cobain played guitar in a band.
    So you can definitely join a band ... or better still start your own.