Alternative option for Avion AV3 + Roland Microcube ??

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by harmonizer, Apr 14, 2011.

1. harmonizer

harmonizer The Son of the Moon

what the heck ! :O

can't believe these r so cheap ! but r u sure these pedals (boss ds-1, beta aivin delay) can do their job decently?? should i prefer metal zone over ds-1??

and stanger amp?? gosh its price is almost half if compared to roland !!!
    m worried abt quality and durability :(

any advise ??

2. Torvoraptor

Torvoraptor New Member

Yeah I'm not convinced by the stranger amp... vis a vie Roland Cube (and now the fender mustangs)

3. wylder

wylder Member

DS1 and MT2 are pretty cool pedals for rhythm and lead guitar tones. Your music taste would decide what to pick between the two.

DS1 sounds like an overdriven Marshall. Can get gain levels similar to Blackmore (Deep Purple) to Angus Young(AC/DC) to Slash. Joe Satriani gets a good part of his gain from a DS1. Its basically a heavy blues to hard rock tone.

MT-2 starts from where DS-1 stops. This thing will not do overdriven sounds - Its outright distortion, good for metal. The tone is again very Marshall-ish but with loads of gain. Can get gain levels from Slash's to Zakk Wylde to a good part of modern metal territory. Also, it has a very useful parametric mid-eq. I have heard that one of the guys from InFlames uses one of these for their rhythm tones.

There are numerous demos of these on youtube. Listen to them and decide for yourself what would suit you best. Either ways, you cant go wrong because as the range of music you play increases, you will learn to appreciate the unique character of your different drive pedals and want to keep all of them for different tones.

4. harmonizer

hmmmm.....n wat abt stranger amp?? is it reliable ? why it has too low price?

5. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

It has low price as its not very good sounding...It is made in India only i think...Its for people with low budget... if you decent budget go for a better amp...

6. wylder

wylder Member

Thing is you are going to use the amp just as a volume boost. You are not going to use the drive from the amp. So as long as the amp has a reasonably good clean tone, you should be happy.

Most solid state clean tones are pretty similar and the differences are mostly in the voicing/eq of the amp. Whereas tube amps have a mild compression that reacts differently to your playing, depending on the construction of the amp and the tubes you are using in the amp. There are a few good solid state amps with decent clean tones. I used to play on a Roland JC-120 Jazz Chorus in church when I was in school. That thing was sweet.

The Roland cube is practically a digital processor built into an amp. I had tried it out in a music store and wasn't very impressed with its cleans.

So what you need is a cheap, clean transparent amp that you can use till you are ready to upgrade to a nice tube amp. And that is exactly what the stranger is...

7. harmonizer

u mean......stranger will only amplify the sound without any effect??
    just like a pc sound system??

if yes.....then is stranger + ds-1 + beta aivin delay = rock solid sound??

can it shake my neighbor's milk jugs? :) :) :)

8. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

I really wonder if stranger would do justice to pedals...

9. harmonizer

moreover, there is no demo video of stranger amp in youtube.... damn! :mad:

10. wylder

wylder Member

Yup, if you are talking about the basic stranger amp it just amplifies the sound. For this reason, you can use the same amp for keys or vox too without it sounding terrible. That said, every speaker system adds some amount of colouring to the sound. PC sound systems tend to have a heavy bass and high mids/highs.

For a good clean tone, your amp needs a 10 to 12" speaker. In general, larger speakers give better bass response which is pretty essential for a good clean tone. The flip side being larger speakers mean less portability due to size. For home use, wattage is not a concern but make sure you don't have to play the amp at more than 70% for everyday practice volume.

11. flood

flood New Member

which is a very good thing too. there's way too much junk on the internet already.

12. theghost

theghost New Member

dude listen to me DO NOT get a stranger amp. I was a noob wen i got one but thanks to my friend i returned it the very next day for a marshall mg 15 :shock:

13. bcrich

bcrich New Member

Schecter omen 6 + peavey Vypyr 15

14. bcrich

bcrich New Member

Or

Schecter omen 6 + Roland cube 15/20

15. harmonizer

@theghost.....yeah i went to a shop n found stranger amp really a stranger in the world of guitar......seemed like a keyboard amp......piece of crap for me.......but man marshall is too expensive.....i'll try to manage a better roland ( 20W at least)

16. guitardoctor

guitardoctor Will Rx for food

Stranger sucks. Go for Roland as a minimum IMHO

17. GhostofHendrix

GhostofHendrix New Member

Did you play it with the pedals that guy suggested you to buy along with the amp?

18. harmonizer

no, it was a small store.....and pedals are available on orders :(

19. GhostofHendrix

GhostofHendrix New Member

That's the catch. The stranger amp will sound like crap if you just play it with your guitar, but if you use the pedals, then you will hear a much better tone and sound.

20. harmonizer

man i face these difficulties often as i live in patna....there no such big store for a guy like me....... shit man !