All you need to learn the basic theory

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by J.J, Nov 30, 2005.

1. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Since the maestro doesn't seem to be around, I shall try helping what little I can.

If you have common notes, accentuate them right at the point where you're changing into the next scale and do not hit the "offending" note (which is different from the scale) until you're well into the next chord and initially use it just as a passing.

One trick I know which helps you sound as if you're still in key is a Miles Davis trick. I suck at actually doing this but I know the idea.

Suppose you're switching from a C major scale to a C#major scale (which would also help in harmonic minor situations)....

What he would sometimes do is play the F major arpeggio repeatedly....like

CAF CAF CAF CAF CAF

until you got used to the pattern....and then he'd keep playing the pattern but on the C#chord he'd switch to F minor in the same pattern.

CAbF CAbF CAbF CAbF

after which he'd freak out on the C# key quite comfortably.

2. gogol

gogol New Member

If Allowed!!!

Its quite obvious that this thread has lost its significance(which it should). So I was wondering if brj could help me up with something(basically anyone could help).

I have this problem with bending. When I bend up, its good, but on the way back, my fingures somewho spring-up the other strings and it sounds bad. I tried to get rid of it, but a small part of it still remains. So could anyone help?

And if this post is not allowed, I'll get to the Q&A section. hehe :p:

Bye,
    Ankur(gogol)

3. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

I wonder why my name was in bold...

Make sure you've got the technique right. Make sure you're bending with the third finger and the other two fingers are also supporting your third finger in the bend. This gives you much better control over your bend. Now let your first finger overlap onto the other strings like you would when you mute them. Problem solved. Perhaps this would be better demonstrated by someone in person. Speak to someone you know who is good at bends.

4. gogol

gogol New Member

Thanks!!!

You already posted a nice suggestion for shiftin scales while sounding like being in same key! So I thought you might be helping me better, so I made your name bold(and now I see that I spelt it wrong, also).

And thanks for the idea, I already tried it! Works! The muting idea for index finger was kewl! But can't sound much harder, as everyone is asleep now!!! hehe.

Bye,
    Ankur :p:

5. Glass

Glass New Member

WAT confusion....FREAK... :-?

6. Les Carlo

Les Carlo New Member

I have a question.

What are the possible modes you could play on this below given progression?

Am7/Bdim/FM7/Dm6

If you know the modes, could you please explain based on what theory you think that mode suites that particular chord?