Advice on Electro acoustic guitar amps

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by samirsjcs, Jul 19, 2010.

1. samirsjcs

samirsjcs New Member

Hi guys.
    just wanted to know that for a small to medium size gig [ nothing professional ], can i connect my electro acoustic to a small amp combo of about 12 w and place the mics available at the venue which are connected to some really big speakers? will it sound all right?
    also, can i connect some really big speakers[ the ones for general use, not particularly guitar speakers] to my small amp of 12 w ?
    is there a way by which i can connect electro acoustic directly to speakers?

2. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

The reason you have a pick up on your guitar is so that you can connect it to a PA. All you need is a DI box. You can do it the way you said too, but i wouldn't recommend mic'ing the amp - it could lead to a lot of feedback. You can take the line output form the amp - it'll be fine.

3. samirsjcs

samirsjcs New Member

Thanks for the reply ambush.
    1. So can i connect my electro acoustic to the speakers available at the venue of the event using a DI box [ even if they are not particularly guitar speakers, although some good quality speakers for general purpose ], no matter how big or small those speakers are ?

2. will it sound all right ?

3. will i need anything else?

4. is an amp an absolute must?

5. How much would a DI box cost me?
    please try and answer all 5 of my questons.

4. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

1. Yes you you can do that and it would sound fine. Acoustic amps are more or less flat, only thing additional is that they may have effects on them. The size of the speakers dont matter. What comes out of the DI box is essentially mic-level signal - so it would just be like any other mic connected to the mixer.

2.Yes

3. No. Batteries maybe.

4. Not at all. For acoustic guitar you don't use amps. Its different for electric -where you need a processor or amp to get the "processed" sound, which is the norm.

5. 2000-3000 Rs, is the starting price i guess. You don't necessarily need a DI box. At most events the sound guys already have Di boxes. Most times they connect the processor output to the mixer through a DI - i don't know if that's required though.

5. samirsjcs

samirsjcs New Member

Appreciate the help ambush

6. ultrabot90

ultrabot90 Like fishes need bicycles

@Ambush - Is it the same for acoustic guitars with a pickup and semi-electric (hollowbody electric) guitars?

7. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

no, for hollow body electrics you would need an amp. Not that it wont work, but a flat electric/ semi-electric wouldn't sound good.