acoustic amplifier???

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by mr singh, Mar 3, 2006.

1. mr singh

mr singh New Member

ok, im not sure wht thread this shud be in, but here goes....
    im buyin a new guitar 2moro hopefully.
    it is an Alhambra 3C electro acoustic with cutaway (classical guitar basically, with an active pickup below the bridge and a cutaway thingy)
    i hav bin told that if i am playing with an acoustic guitar it is worth gettin a new acoustic amp, which will give better sound quality in comparison to a standard electric guitar amp. i jus wanna now if this is true, and if so then whts the big deal i.e. y is it tru?
    thanks in advance, all help is greatly appreciated.
    also, if there is a difference between so called "acoustic amps" n the other "electric amps", does ne1 hav ne recommendations as to semi-decent acoustic amplifiers?

2. faraz khan

faraz khan Fkay'zzz .......GoNe MaD!

hahahehehahe!!
    I use the computer and the powerful deck!!!

3. sDEVs

sDEVs Inventor

I dont know about if there are different amps for Elec & Acoustics. I too use a Acoustic Signature Guitar with a Jack attatchment in the jumbo box beneath. I started using the amp, because acoustic dont sound louder in group songs, or small parties.
    But the disadvantage using amps with acoustics is that we have to be very fine with shifting of the chords, a chink-chink noise always follows if hand isnt lifted. Also the sweetness of the acoustic one goes with a amp. If you wanna preserve it, use a processor pad along in between the Guitar & amp. They give quite good results.
    Recently I did a stage show with a Provcessor Pad with Sustained effect & amp with my acoustic for the song "Yeh Meri Kahani - ZINDA."
    Try it.

4. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Umm, though I dont know much about this area, but I think the most important difference will be with respect to EQ. Usually the Electric guitar amps should be having a frequency cut off at 50Hz and ~5000Hz (not sure).
    + The inherent EQing of the electric guitar amps have scooped mids. That is there because the electro magnetic pickups are so designed that the mids are amplified inherently. (that is done because our ears are more sensitive to taht spectrum)

The acoustic on the other hand have different pickups. Usually the acoustic sound is associated with really scooped mids, and slight presence of treble.
    Hence the amp should have an inherent EQ taht boosts the mids.

Besides, am just musing , probabaly the reason is something else.

5. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

Basically accoustic amps have full range speakers (including a tweeter) like keyboard amps or PA systems, whereas electric guitar amps have just 12" or 10" speakers usually and so don't amplify the complete frequency range accurately. When you are amplifying an accoustic guitars signal, you want all the frequencies to be amplified accurately, and therefore you need an acoustic amp (or go straight to the mixing board in a live situation).

jocelyn likes this.
  6. mr singh

mr singh New Member

thnks guys, that helped out a lot :)
    finally got my new guitar, im really lovin it, maybe oneday soon i will get an acoustic amp.
    @ sDEVs, wht sort of processor pad do u reccommend?

7. zing

zing Machine Head

dunno abt the amps -- but alhambra is a simply awwwwwwwwsum guitar - congrats mon gr8 choice!

8. mr singh

mr singh New Member

thnks zing, i ws either gonna get an alhambra or an aria, went 4 the alhambra in the end, its pure class :)
    all their guitars are amazing, cost me £464 (british pounds) for the guitar, a hiscox case, and a hercules guitar stand. i love it :p

9. johnny_flamenco

johnny_flamenco New Member

Amp

Unlike an electric guitar which relies on a power amplifier to increase the loudness, the classical guitar relies on a resonance system to amplify itself. The pickup on an electric guitar relies on TONE. In other words, magnetic fields generated by the vibration of the steel strings. In a classical guitar, thereis no TONE except for the 6th, 5th and 4th strings which may be copper wound.Compared to an electric guitar, the classical guitar produces warmer tones, which need to be faithfully reproduced. Accoustic amplifier are geared to reproduce the sounds faithfully. I persoally use a CRATE amplifier.
    Cheers.

10. mr singh

mr singh New Member

thanks for the tips johnny f... how much did the crate cost u roughly?

11. johnny_flamenco

johnny_flamenco New Member

100 bucks (US) on e-Bay ! New ones go for anywhere from $200 to $600 depending on the wattage. Trust me you dont need anything more than 50 watts unless you are playing in a huge auditorium
    Cheers.

12. mr singh

mr singh New Member

^kl, i wasnt intendin to go 4 anyhting more than 50 watts neway, ;)
    thanks 4 the advice, i mite buy one sum time soon