About picks

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by esgallindeion, Aug 3, 2004.

1. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

What picks do you guys use and which ones suit what type of music?

So far I have always used the picks which I feel most comfortable with and haven't really given much thought to the matter.

2. Myth_Pharoah

Myth_Pharoah New Member

Well, I have these steel picks, which gives you the old metallica scratchy sound, so I use them when I'm trying to immirate James. :p

Besides that I have I generally use the .25mm picks since you can play faster and strum better with them.

3. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

I use Jim dunlop Stubby Small 3.0 mm. for leads. Generally use the same throiugh out.. With Acoustic its Pyramid picks (Soft/Medium) or Gels XH with Bass..

4. esgallindeion

I also prefer jim dunlop... i cldn't find stubby 3 mms here... how i envy u... but dunlops usually are quite good quality... also i got a few ibanez picks... and collector steve vai and satch and paul gilbert ones (but i dont usually play with them).

5. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

I like Fender and Gibson picks. Two varieties, the Fender super-thin model and the Gibson 3mm small pick.

6. jayanth

Talking about Collectors, I have Beatles, Bon Jovi, richie Sambora , Bobby Weir(The Dead) and Hugh (bon Jovi's Bassie) picks.. Stubby 3.0 is available here for a hugh price.. I get them from MF..

7. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

oh yeah?

i have a pick signed by MEEEE! :) no1 out of u have it or is ever gonna have it...
    n now dun tell me that u want it or not...nobody asked u!
    hehe.. ulllllll:p

8. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

i use 3 pics.....all three jim dunlops..... when am playin GNR i use jim dunlop tortex 1.2mm (coz that is what slash uses) for others..i usually prefer... .88mms nylon by JD, and sometimes .73 mm JDs nylon for that soft sound.....if i am playin a slow romantic number..like..say...pal...i wud go for finger picking...i have tried using coins as pics...when at times i am out of them( i break my pics too often.......used too, not anymore), but u jist cant get that kinda speed with them.....:D

9. jayanth

Jim Dunlop spent their whole resources on developing these Plastic pieces.. SO we can Bow down to them.. What do yo usay?? Especially Stubby..

10. esgallindeion

I wish I had a few stubby... I used to play with them with my teacher.

11. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

n today, i just made my last pick barely usable now by trying to play yngwie malmsteen's 'arpegios from hell...
    now sum1 tell me plzzzzz, where do i get good picks here in indore??? ( i know no1's gonna reply to this...)

12. jayanth

He he.. From Me?? ;) Stubby's are heaven Essi..

13. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

personally i couldn't care what pick i have. i have a range from .3 to 1.5mm, i have a set of unbranded ones that i think are around .5mm that i use.

but thats only half the time, the rest of the time i don't play with picks, just my fingers!!

14. esgallindeion

Jayanth, could you send me some stubbies?

15. jayanth

jayanth &lt;.: : Call Quits : :.&gt;

PM me your address ..

@ Neo: This is a gift .. Not selling it to him.

16. RAVISHINGBOY

RAVISHINGBOY J@CksoN BoY !

PiCKs :s Changes Effects ..
    I use a simple Yamaha Picks .. But i found some Difficulty in lead ...
    .25 mm HUh !
    but gr8 in Rythem ..

17. RAVISHINGBOY

RAVISHINGBOY J@CksoN BoY !

Jayanth A TInCy wIncy help here ... im a newBiee at these Gutiar Gear Stuff ..
    Can u tell me some thing about pIcks .. n wht Size or Thickness Dose they effect in playing lead or rythem ..

18. jayanth

Sizes vary widely.. I can give you the categories..
    Extra Soft - Used generally with Classical guitars
    Soft - Great for rhythms
    Medium - Great for rhythems Crappy with leads
    MEadium-Heavy - Great for leads okish with Rhythm
    Heavy - ONLY for leads and Riffage
    Extra Heavy - Used for leads and also to play Bass Guitars.

In these categories you can choose the size(The thickness) to your comfort..

19. DrSaurabh

DrSaurabh Wh@+s Up D0C

for those intrested.i just tried a 1976 1Re coin..and all i can say tis the sound i got was freakin amazin..hard to describe..amazin for acousitc playin and too damn good with distortion...u should have heard the powerchords...they ROCKED:rock:
    but even though it would be classified as extra heavy..its difficult to play leads with that..at least i couldnt..though amazing for rhythms..it gave me the electric clean sound on my hobner...try it people..

20. jayanth

Its difficult to play Leads cause of its circularity.. Anyways I'm sure you have no intentions of Spoiling your strings.. Since you can afford an LP a Pick shouldnt be much.. He he..