aaah.... my hand!

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by monalisa, Jan 19, 2006.

1. monalisa

monalisa New Member

Hello everyone,

I have a problem here. please help :help:

I'm a guitar student.
    now a days I can play some chords of song & can sing along a lil bit.
    When I start playing the chords it sounds perfect.
    But at the middle of the song I feel pain in my hand
    specially my wrist & my palm muscles. Then i can't press the strings properly.
    They stop ringing.Then everything just sound so bad!
    Please suggest some remedies guys.

Do u think by practicing I can overcome it? :confused:

2. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

LOL
    This is similar to saying:
    Suggestion: when you take up something new, u will ofcourse get pains while doing it.
    Give some time to yourslef and your body to adjust.

vini likes this.
  3. probuddha

probuddha Aspiring Guitarist

Monalisa....this clearly shows that you are an absolute newbie in playing guitar.

It happens to everybody...atleast it happened to me.

The only thing you need to do is practice..and practice. Do some finger stretching exercises and keep playing the chords...initially you will feel the pain but after a few days it will be gone..

Keep playing..nothing to worry about and all the best :)

Cheers !!
    Probuddha

4. BrO`'kEn_SwOrD

BrO`'kEn_SwOrD New Member

before some 6 yrs when i started playing guitar.... i used to face the same problem. but as time went on the problem reduces n now it is about to vanish.
    but i suggest u one thing.... use some other guitar...many times it depends on the guitar also. sometimes there is some prblm with guitar, like - the strings r too away frm fretboard..so u need to press it too hard which causes the pain in ur wrist. if u r using some Indian brand guitar like givson ( though they r pretty good at sound), this problem is common.
    there r some exercises available on ultimateguitar.com . just go through those.
    this is one of them : https://ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/correct_practice/strengthen_your_hands.html

5. ambush

ambush _RASTA_man_

i had pain in the palm when i played barre chords

you can try holding the strings down lightly with your thumb completly behind the neck

6. slash_i_m

slash_i_m Laid to Rest

yeah real hell when comin across barres.

7. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

Typical problem .. But Completely NORMAL .. Happens to everyone .. I used to feel such pain in muh early days .. n i used to think i can never play a complete song ever .. but ur hand adjusts automatically .. juz keep practising .. n if da pain is very bad and consistent for many days even without playin then consult a doc .. ;)

8. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

aw, stick to your guns and keep firing. Blanks are a part of war.

And special love to you if you're from Calcutta <3

9. Double Click

Double Click New Member

Like everyone else said, this happens to everyone. You just have to keep practising.

However dont strain your hand too much (pain is u'r body's way of tellin u to stop). If the pain is too much, stop playin for a while, take a break.

Also watch your hand, how you hold the wrist etc try to see whether u'r bending the wrist too much. Try holding the neck at a different angle or somin and see if it helps.

10. Saptashaw

Saptashaw PRO Tabber

Happens. just keep practising. Begin with some light exercises -scales, open chords and then barre chords.
    Also try some wrist and finger exercises before beginning to play. Helps alot.

11. debankan

debankan The bassist from hell

Stretching exercises help a lot. Forcibly strech your fingers regularly. Trust me on this, I play bass.

12. d_ist_urb_ed

d_ist_urb_ed Genuflect b*tches!

There's 2 different types of pain one encounters while playing the guitar, one kind which you feel when you're learning something new and which shows you that you're improving on that area, and the other type of pain which means you're in deep shit, careful when pushing those wrists and fingers, too much can lead to permanent damage, consistently do warmup exercises and yes, as debankan said, stretch your fingers using your hand, it helps.

13. shak

shak Harrr!

God you are the biggest flirt i've ever seen .. can you spell "self respect"?

14. satch_attack

satch_attack New Member

hey mona,

ofcourse practicing will help ..keep playing and definetely the pain will reduce after some time ..but I don know one exercise which can be done without using your guitar at all..

get an spunge ball or any other soft ball and sqeeze it with you fretting hand..after you do this for a few min ..you hand will start burning meaning the muscles are building in you hand..stop and repeat the exercise the next day..if you do this for like 5 min everyday..the pain will go away quickly ..

and good luck along the road of playing the guitar

15. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

have you heard of people not really taking the internet very seriously?

and considering that we don't even know if it's a guy or a girl....wouldn't you consider your statement a little over the top in this particular context?

16. mr singh

mr singh New Member

neway, in respect 2 wht ppl sed earlier about barres bein painful, i suggest that it isnt always required 4 a full barre 2 b used. only apply pressure where required, and try 2 get the creases in your finger at the rite point. i hadnt come across barres 2 much, until i learnt mason williams' classical gas (beautiful piece), which has a "difficult" barre part in the middle. once barres have been mastered, they are incredibly useful tools.
    futhermore, use the weight of your hand along with gravity rather than muscles in your hand 2 help provide adequate pressure 4 a successful barre

17. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

That's pretty good advice. I teach a few people and have often noticed that getting the creases in the finger at the right place has been a breakthrough in mastering the barre.

I disagree with the second bit of advice simply because it's the technically incorrect way of going about the barre even though it makes life easier. Tilting the guitar back a bit, however, is ill-advised by most people so I wouldn't actually advise someone to do it unless they're holding the guitar classical style with the guitar on their lap and tilted upwards.

18. mr singh

mr singh New Member

classical guitar style... hmm, now the reason 4 that is bcos i am a classical guitarist primarily, :)
    however in terms electric, u prob r correct

19. shak

shak Harrr!

why would a guy keep the nick "monalisa"? (check the profile apparently it is a girl) .. allright even if someone does .. then i might also consider that we dont even know if you are homo or straight ... now wouldnt you consider my statement not even a tiny bit over the top under any context?

well the thing is .. what i said wasnt in an offensive fashion .. sorry if you took it seriously but i was only kiddin . i forgot the word flirt is taken a bit seriosuly back there .. i appologise .. :sorry:

20. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

no no, you don't have to feel sorry at all. I just sorta over-reacted since I thought you were being serious. Flirt isn't really an offensive word anywhere here.