a li'l help wid hammerin n pull off

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by guitar_gal, Jun 15, 2004.

1. guitar_gal

guitar_gal New Member

hey ppl.. i guez i kno wat hammerin n pull off r.. but i havnt tried em out much until now. i waz tryin out nothin else matters 2day. n der r sum parts i dunno how 2 play. sumbody help me.

e---7-7------7p0---------7-8-7h8p7p5-7p5p0------------------
    B-------0--------0-------------------------5----5-7p5~-p0---
    G---------0--------0---0---------------------5--------------
    D-----------------------------------------------------------
    A--------------------------------------------0--------------
    E-----0--------------0--------------------------------------

here, temme how xactly 2 play dis part... 7h8p7p5.. xplain da fingerin properly. step by step.

n also, wat am i supposd 2 do 4 "p0"?? u r supposd 2 pull off FROM 1 fret 2 anoder, rite? here, juz 1 is given.

n den, in dis...

e---------0-----------------3-----p0-----------5-----p0----------12-----------
    B-------5----5--5--5----5-----5-------7----7-----7------------12----(12)------
    G-----5------5--5--5--5---5-----5-----7--7---7-----7-------12-----------(12)--
    D-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A---0--------0--2--3------------------5---------------------------------------
    E--------------------------------------------------------0--------------------

how do i play dis part?
    --------------
    -----5---5---
    -----5---5---
    --------------
    -----0---2---
    -------------

do i play da 4th string open??

sumbody, help!

2. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

for 7h8p7p5 its better if u use three fingers... one technical way is to put ur index finger on 5, ring finger on 7 and little finger on 8 and play as required... I have never tried this song... somehow i never tried metallica, i guess kirk hammett's out of my league somewhat. ;P but if i had to play this i might play the 7th with my middle finger finger hammer to 8 with my ring and then slide back to 5... anyway, jayanth will probably tell u how kirk hammett plays it. There are many ways u can play the same thing and u shld always play the way u prefer.

u just pull the string off for p0... its the same as what u do only here u dont have to press any other fret.

For the final part to ur question, u should use finger picking for this song... so, play 5th string with ur thumb, 3rd with index, 2nd with middle finger....

3. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

Exactly.. Nothing is easy.. Just practice..

4. guitar_gal

guitar_gal New Member

huh?? i neva said sumthin waz difficult!!! i kno da panacea is PRACTICE! but i juz had a few doubts.. not complainin dis is hard..

n btw, my philosophy.. "nothin is hard..." on da contrary 2 urs "nothin is easy".. gud practice makes evryhtin easy.. dats it! :cool:

5. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

I meant the song Nothing ... Sorry ..

6. guitar_gal

guitar_gal New Member

alrite.. 1 major thing.. im kinda confused... 4 dis 7h8p7p5, how many times dya totally pluck??? juz once?? on da 1st 7...???? :confused:

7. 6String_assasin

6String_assasin The Painkiller

yea... once..
    n for the last part... use ur 3rd n 4th fingers of the left hand to fret the 5's.... n use da 1st for da 2 n 3 on da 4th string... n u do play the open 4th string...

8. esgallindeion

huh?? 4 string open? where? I dont see it anywhere on the tabs...

9. rabi_sultan

rabi_sultan <Bulla Ki Jana>

the idea to hammering and pulling is that you get the same loudness in the sound when you strum a note and then either hammer a higher note on or pull your finger off to get to a lower note.

So for example the riff for Derek and the Dominoes (Eric Clapton)'s Layla is:
    Code:
    [font=courier new]
    E|------------------|
    B|------------------|
    G|------------------|
    D|------0-3h-0p---0-|
    A|-0-3h--------3h---|
    E|------------------|
    [/font]
    In this you pluck the A then hammer the third fret (C), you then pluck the D then hammer on the third fret (F), you then pull off the third fret (F) leaving the sound of the A again, because this is played at a pacy rate the A should still be resonating enough so that when you hammer the third fret of the A-String (C) you should still get a sound and you finish it off by playing the D open. So thats seven notes played but you would have only plucked three times.

but my point is this riff is excellent to learn and practice hammering and pulling since you are in effect only using one finger to get the sound, once you can do it well then hammering and pulling with multiple fingers all over the fretboard will come easier since you would already have the knack of it.

10. guitar_gal

guitar_gal New Member

hey guyz! thanx a lot.. dat waz gr8 help... :beer:

11. jayanth

jayanth &lt;.: : Call Quits : :.&gt;

Welcome... But did you get what they were trying to tell??

12. guitar_gal

guitar_gal New Member

duh... YEA!!!! y dya think i dint understand it?! if i dint, i wuda asked.. :annoyed:

13. guitar_gal

guitar_gal New Member

n xcuse me, jay... u neva helped me out on dis thread!!!!!!!!! y YOU sayin "welcome"??? LOL.. da thanx waz meant 4 da guyz who had posted helpful replies 2 my queries.. :p

14. 6String_assasin

oh sry, didn't see properly...i meant...
    'u do play the 5th string open' ... n then the 2 n 3 ...
    pluck hte 2nd, 3rd n 5th string 2gether...

i hope i didnt make another mistake in riting?

15. jayanth

jayanth &lt;.: : Call Quits : :.&gt;

I asked you coz if you didnt understand it the right way.. You will end up hurting yourself.. And ididnt want to post the procedure if you got it the way these guys xplained..

16. guitar_gal

guitar_gal New Member

i guez i DID get it rite.. (hope i did..). but 1 thing is dat im not able 2 get a proper sound 4 da 7h8p7p5 part. da sound is dampened real quick. im not able 2 play da thing fully. i tried pluckin harder, but still i cant get a decent sound 4 da whole thing. wat do i do?? :confused:

n jay, i dun think it wud b 2 bad, if ya posted yer own explanation 2. like essy said, der r many ways 2 do it, n i hafta choose da way dats most convenient 4 me. i wud like 2 try out yer way 2... :)

17. guitar_gal

guitar_gal New Member

n i havnt tried out finger pickin at all until now. thot i'l chek out a few sites n kno more abt it. until den, i dunno how 2 play dat part wer i hafta leave out da 4th string n play da 5th, 2nd n 3rd... i understood da resta da xplanations. i tried out da way essy suggested 1st. wid 3 fingers.. index on 5th fret, ring on 7th n pinky on 8th.... am kinda comfy wid it. juz dat i dun produce much sound wen i do dat :p help??

18. 6String_assasin

for both the parts (7h8p7p5 and the 2nd one), just try it slowly first...until it gets smooth...

19. esgallindeion

ya... assasin's rite...

For getting a clear sound from your finger picking, you'll just have to practice harder until u get it.. Really, the quickest and maybe the only way to be a good guitarist is to practice...

20. call_of_ktulu41

call_of_ktulu41 New Member

uhm...
    guitar gal...
    i think its important to know why we hammer on ...you asked if you shd hit that 7th fret only once...well yeah striking (or as i prefer... picking) once is much easier than playing the 7th 8th and the 5th fret,........try it out slowly( i mean play the 7th 8th and 5th fret individually)...
    itll sound just the same ( much crappier)...
    as i was saying... hammer and pull-offs (h&p) are important when you start soloing ...it makes life much easier....ask my friend eric clapton....
    the masta!!!!
    nah
    maybe second to my main man... hendrix