A few doubts about Active Pickups

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by mad_spartan, Dec 19, 2010.

1. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

Hey guys,

Recently I bought Seymour Duncan Blackouts. Planning to use them in my Ibanez GRG170DX.

But my guitar has HSH pickup configuration and 5-way pickup selector switch.

When I install the active pickups in, I won't be connecting the single coil pickup (as I don't know how to and I have heard its very hard). So basically I will be needing a 3-way pickup selector switch.

So my question is, can I use the 5-way switch as 3-way?

If yes, can anyone please explain me with a diagram?

Thanks

2. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

First of all i would say that you decision of installing the blackout in GRG doesn't sound promising to me.. anyways.. the circuit change looks like from THIS to THIS.. It may slightly differ for actives as they need external power from battery..

Try not to do it yourself..Go to some luthier..

3. mad_spartan

mad_spartan New Member

yes i know putting blackouts in GRG is not a very good idea. had planned to buy guitar for chrismas but for a few reasons, i cannot buy the guitar for a month or two.

but my brother already brought these pickups from USA and now i need to check if they are working perfectly before he leaves

so decided to put these in the GRG till i get the new one.

also about the wiring diagrams, i know those that you gave diagrams. i just need to know if i can use the 5-way pickup selector in my GRG as a 3-way.

4. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Guest

yes i think you can..

5. varunmm4

varunmm4 New Member

Doubtful. You can use the selector switch but it wont work like a 3 way.
    I think from the extreme settings on the switch, one should work fine (I believe thats the neck pup). The extreme bridge settings wont give you purely the bridge pup. The middle 3 settings will just be weird you'll have to test it to know really. I had read an article somewhere on a 5 way selector wiring and it is COMPLETELY different from a 3 way.

Good luck!

6. wylder

wylder Member

Check if you can do this..

Neck only on positions 1 and 2
    Neck and Bridge on position 3
    Bridge only on positions 4 and 5

This is how my guitar is wired as it has a 5 position switch which originally had coil tap on P2 and P4. Leaving P1 or P5 as muted can be pretty bad; especially if you hurry into a solo in the middle of a song...

7. varunmm4

varunmm4 New Member

When you do try it, let me know how they sound. I'm looking to buy some new pups myself.