A Bit Help!!!

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by gogol, Feb 8, 2006.

1. gogol

gogol New Member

Ok...C....I was planning to get an Electic Guitar of my own!!!

As I have to do it by my pocket money(and my pocket ain't that big), my budget is very low!!! I heard of a shop that makes custom guitars!!! So I went there and they make both Electric and Accaustic guitars!!! I played one of their own electic guitars, sounded good!!! They said that they can make me electric guitars with the specifications that I tell them, even the shape would be of my own choice!!! The price would vary from 2500 to 3000(I couldn't beliefe it could be this low) according as I get two standard pickups or one standard pickup and one harmonising pickup!!! I really didn't understand what he meant by "Harmonizing Pickup"!!!

Anyway, the point is that I really don't know much about electric guitars! So please advise me what are the things I need to look for when I bye one!!! And mostly those which matter the sound quality!!! Please help!!!

And by the way, I live in kolkata and the shop I was talking about is near Ranikuthi, Taligunge!!!

Bye and Hope to have reply soon,
    Ankur(gogol) :confused: :please:

2. dino

dino New Member

Not a good option goin for local guitar

HI ankur !!
    Local made guitars usually come across the problem of bending .. since the motion and pressure on the fretboard is random .. this causes usually 7-15 degrees bend in couple of months .. also harmonics is not much used in rock .. it's a jazz concept so it won't be of ne use .. i would suggest you to go for a electric guits havin 2 pick-ups ( coz there hardly ne difference of pick-up effects in cheap guits ) .. and go for a branded stuff like Aria or Givson .. it's gonna cost you b/w 4500-6000.

if you still have ne doubts .. do get back to me ...
    dino.

3. gogol

gogol New Member

Gimme a bit more!!!

Hey! Thanks a lot for telling me the problems!!! And the prices of the guitars you suggested are also feasible to me!!! However, it seems you are from New Delhi!!! Will it be possible for you to advice some good shops in kolkata!!!
    Braganza is a very well known shop here. Its a brand of its own, also!

And please help me a bit more. Please tell me what other things to look for when I'm buying one. Even if I buy Aria or Givson, where should I be cautious about them???

Thanks again,
    Ankur(gogol)

4. probuddha

probuddha Aspiring Guitarist

Ankur....I would suggest is that you go to Braganza, its is THE best music store in Calcutta. And by the way, where exactly do you stay ? I stay at Kudghat and I believe that the shop you are referring to is "Saraswati music mart" at Ranikuthi...the name of the Person is Laltu and I can assure you that you will surely get cheated if you buy from him. I know that shop for years. Its only best for buying strings :) , that too is you stay in Ranikuthi coz there are not much music shops in that region.

So friend go to Braganza...they will surely help you out.

Thanks,
    Probuddha

5. debankan

debankan The bassist from hell

Let people from Kolkata advice about local made guitars here. :annoyed: Local custom made guitars, in Kolkata, specially from Braganza are quite good at a low budget. :rock:

6. debankan

Braganza is the best choice. I own a custom made from Braganza. It is excellent.

7. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

c'mon
    I just got one customs job done.

It cost me Rs 9400. But same workmanship and quality will fetch Rs 15000 from a branded one.

But there is a hitch with customs guitar. If you are a n00b you wont be able to tell the luthier what exactly you want.

So for n00bs, branded are fine.

8. gogol

gogol New Member

Thanks A lot

Hey, actually the shop I was talking of was "Sangeeti" and the owner is probably "Raju". And thanks for telling me that they might cheat(I'm not going near any of those shops again :dance: )!!! And thanks for suggesting Braganza. I also came to know of a guitar named TANSEN!!! Some friends of mine told me about it.

What do you people suggest? Have you heard of it?

Thanks Everyone for helping...!!! :beer: ;)

Ankur

9. probuddha

probuddha Aspiring Guitarist

Ya !

Have heard of TANSEN, but friend..I would suggest that you go to Braganza at least once before you make any decision.

They are really good people and will surely help you out. And the best thing is that, if there is any problem with the guitar in the future, instead of repairing it, they might actually replace the guitar.

One of my friend bought a classical nylon string guitar from Braganza, after 2 yrs when he went for repairing the guitar, they gave him a new guitar for just Rs 300 more. In fact they adjusted the whole purchase amount of that old guitar with the new one.

So go to Braganza friend !

10. gogol

gogol New Member

Thanks Again

Hey, Prabudha, I'll definitely go to Braganza. And as you asked, I live near SonarPur(south of garia).

And thanks everyone for those helpful stuffs! :cool:

Bye,
    Ankur(gogol)

11. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

braganza is the best. they did a helluva good job making my blac steve vai JEM7V clone which i got for 5.5k. GO!!

12. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

Umm..if you are willing to spend time and ask ppl and learn stuff, even a n00b can go for custom guitar..I did;)

13. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

LOL
    Remember what I said about electric guitarists, they are combination of two ppl:
    1. Techie
    2. Player

You have to be n00b in those two realms, to be called a real n00b. I dont hink you can call yourself a n00b in Techie department.

14. gogol

gogol New Member

Hmm

Hey, does it have all the specifications as in the real one... Like :think:
    0: 2 ps Hum-bucking and 1 ps single coil pickups
    1: Tremelo

etc. etc.

Could you gimme the specifications of the one you have them made for you??? Might help me... Because I really know very little about Electric Guitars!!!

Please inform...

And why does one need to be a techie to be an Electric Guitar player?:eek::

Bye,:beer:
    Ankur(gogol)

15. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

heheh...no..you are right..I wasnt a n00b to the tech aspects when i ordered my guitar:)

16. debankan

I am the bassit of Sayan's band. Yes, it has 2 hums and 1 single coil. Tremolo arm is also there, though it is a cheap variety and causes some probs. It cost around 6000, I think. My lead guitar, custom made from Braganza is a James Hetfield Explorer copy. It has two hums, no tremolo and cost me only 4000. With 4000 more, you can get a nice quality tremolo. Also, both of these custom mades have 24 frets, while most readymades have 21 frets. And you need to have a bit of technical knowledge to specify the pickup configurationhttps://indianguitartabs.com/images/smilies/cheers.gif
    :beer:.

17. gogol

gogol New Member

What details?

Hey, I talked to Sayan on Y!M... He also told me the specifications....but thanks anyway.... And could you tell what kind of technical knowledge you're talking about???:think:

Bye,
    Ankur(gogol)