21st Century....are we really living in it?

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by Ankur_Scorpio, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Ankur_Scorpio

Ankur_Scorpio New Member

Ok,

Encouraged by three other threads on marriages going on these days...i decided to post one of mine...one of inter-religious relationships and marriages

....not sure if this has been discussed here before...my apologies if u guys already shared ur views on this,but if u havent...then..

Here's my view,
    Though we have reached 21st century, we are still held back by the old views of discriminating on the basis of religion,caste. And its not only the poor people or the people in villages of india its the very own modern generation, living in cities, working in high profile companies and getting educated in top univesities.

So many people i have talked to they claim to be tolerant to other religions, but ask them if they would marry someone from other religion and a big NO WAYS!! follows...
    wonder wht kinda hypocrisy is tht? I know people, engineers and doctors who would kill if such thing was suggested for their kids...

Wonder if all this progress we r making in the 21st century is only external, seems like brains still rest in the 17th century. Things people in old times fought for, still remain good excuses to kill....

Y cant an inter-religious marriage work?? Isint the concept of marriage about understanding and sacrifice?

Would u marry a person from outside ur religion or let ur kids do tht?

2. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

It's not really hypocrisy. You forget that a majority of Indians still go in for arranged marriages. When a parent hunts for a bride, they would normally looking be looking for complete compatibility (or as close to it as they can reach). An inter-religion marriage would normally be further in terms of compatibility than an intra-religion marriage. At least within the same community, they would be rid of the headache that the clash of religious beliefs can bring about.

Thus, I can understand why parents oppose such marriages. That is not the same as saying that I agree with them but I can see where they're coming from. God knows the honeymoon does not last forever.

Of course, there is no denying that a lot of people still feel they are better than others because of caste, religion or background. I am quite sure I shall feel uncomfortable sharing the same table as a common labourer (though you can never tell). Bias is inborn within the best of us.

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

+ Religion still holds key to most Indians life. Everything in life.
    Can you deny that?

LOL, how can you, on the basis of issue of marriage, extrapolate and label us like that?

I dont mind.
    Besides, whats so great in marriage?

I am a hippy.
    Dont belive in such chains/bondage. (aha, if it is for BDSM purpose then fine :grin: ).

4. hate_breeder

hate_breeder worms r shcarryyy :'(

your view is absolutly correct, i think main cause of all these is relegion, almost all relegions suck and they are the cause of discrimination. i would like to marry person from any caste, relegion or race

5. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

Of course not. I was just trying to present the logical side of parents not wanting inter-religion marriages. Perhaps 2% of the opposers might be opposing the marriage because of the reasons I mentioned. So it's not that there is zero logic behind the general idea that inter-religion marriages are more difficult to work.

Thankfully for me, people around me are not really governed by religion....I live in the most unreligious circles (without anyone actually being an atheist).

6. paati

paati New Member

what about same *** marriage? india is so backward that same *** marriage is still illegal in india, and homo***uality is punishable by anti sodomy laws. tsk tsk.

7. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

There is no logical defense for this. It is just that the moral police have ruled over us far too long. What shall be interesting to see is the thread starters stand on this topic.

I don't think this is an issue where you can particularly pinpoint India for backwardness.

8. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

BZZT! Wrong answer. Religion does not suck. Religion is not the cause of discrimination. It is our tendency of groupism and general mistrust that is the cause for discrimination.

9. Ankur_Scorpio

Ankur_Scorpio New Member

@ bjr - I agree that parents are justified in the way they see things for their offsprings. But then i guess those who to go for arranged marriage come in a seperate category. Inter-racial marriages by parents choice is not possible in indian society. I am talking about the people who find their life partners on their own, but in doing that limit their search to their own caste or religion.

@ alpha - by saying our brains are still in 17th century i meant some ideas that we still carry with us...or part of the brain that still think in the same manner as it did thousands of years ago. Obviously all these technological advancements wont be possible if it was not for the human brain.

@ alpha (again) - Holding religion close to ur heart and using it to discriminate are two seperate things. I agree most indians are very close to their religion, but it would be wrong to say its everything for them in life. It is a part of everyday life..just like eating..! and for that matter i think its an important one too, but i dont want to go into that topic.

@patti - LOL! man i think tht needs prolly more discussion then the thread i have opened...cos my view has been discussed time and again..without much solution....but the same S.X marriage is an important one!
    back in Canada we recently legalised it..and i agree that in India its still unacceptable. But more than moral police..i would blame ourselves and media for it. Its been kept under the mat for way too long and people in general dont want to talk about it. Awareness i would say is the only way out of this, making general people see that its not a wrong thing, just a different thing.

10. hate_breeder

bjr , relegion sucks, its waste of time, nothing is gained out of it. building hospitals is more preferable than building temples. relegion is cause of many wars and terrorism. i hate relegions they suck

11. Ankur_Scorpio

Ankur_Scorpio New Member

Thank You

i was struggling how to reply to that..

12. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

Imitating da western culture does not mean modernization ..

I think seeking a life partner from da same religion is preferable ..bcoz their basic beliefs will be da same .. n also their style of living, practises n faith will match avoidin unnecessary hassles ..

If ur not a religious person at all .. then its fine to marry inter caste ..

Inter caste marriage is like putting a bike front tyre ... n a car rear tyre to a bicycle .. (obviously if u have faith in ur religion)

n da practise of marrying in da same religion has got nothing to do wid living in 21st century .. its not a backward practise ..

13. bjr

bjr Lady of the Evening

That is the doing of the moral police. The moral police does not include just the Shiv Sena or other armed thugs telling people how they should run their lives but people in general who are obsessed with "khandan ki izzat", peers who pressurize you into drugs, alcohol, ***, and emoness, parents who feel that there is no good career outside the sciences etc. etc.

How exactly is nothing gained out of it? Religion is little more than a loose set of guidelines which suggest the proper way of living life to the fullest which leads to mental peace and harmony amongst brethren. I don't think there is anything greater than that to gain with your time.

Of course, keep in mind that the above view is VERY VERY ideallistic and chances of this happening in real life tend to zero.

If religion was the cause of wars, Civil wars would never break out.

14. CrYpTiC_angel

CrYpTiC_angel Rebelle!

Yeah, I'm living in it :dance:

15. hate_breeder

If religion was the cause of wars, Civil wars would never break out. ---bjr

this is absolutly rubbish, civil wars break out mostly due to relegion like hindu-muslim wars

16. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

LOL Brudda, waht a reply mun!

17. khuram82

khuram82 ......:mad:........

@hate_breeder i guess u r taking the discussion away frm the topic............... n btw dont u think its rather malpractice of the religion guidelines by its followers which causes all this?

regarding this topic.........i dont think its discrimination when parents dont want their kids to marry to a person of other religion or caste.............bjr and notty has said well enuff n i would say they are quite true........jus to add to them i would say u have a religion with some beliefs, ideas, thoughts n everything .......... u want to have someone who can accept what u believe n respect them too.........that cannot happen by having a person who has totally different beliefs...........yah they can still respect eachother's beliefs but that would rather be strictly aritificial..........if u know what i mean..........

on the other hand.........i dont think XXth century has to do anything with that..............what u reckon? when it will be 23rd century.......do u expect ppl discussing this topic ' why can't humans marry animals? '

18. CrYpTiC_angel

CrYpTiC_angel Rebelle!

Ya know, like, a single full-stop is often enough!

19. UjSen

UjSen *#!EVIL*!!

wts the spelling of religion????^^^^^^^^:p:

Religion also provides hope to millions around the world.

if ur saying that there is no place for religion in the 21st century then ur wrong>>>.

20. khuram82

khuram82 ......:mad:........

@cryptic.. thanx for the advice :p: