#1 - Learn To Count

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons, Tutorials & Tips' started by Bandbaaja, Jan 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bandbaaja

Bandbaaja Pronounced Band Baaaa Ja

12/8 is simple
    check the songs, its a basic blues swing groove
    the new song by asha bhosle, huzoor -e -aala from the film Page 3
    is similar

2. jusmail

jusmail New Member

The song that tricks me is Khabi to nazar by Adnam, I think it is. The first chorus is easy. But I am not able to conclusively count the Stanza i.e. the part after the background music. How to count that part guys?

3. Liquid

Liquid New Member

Sign: [/ C / Am / F / G /] - (2)
    Cross: / C / C / Am / Am / F / F / G / G7 /

whats the difference between sign and cross?...what do they really mean?

4. Bandbaaja

A song can be divided into parts for better understanding.
    Here you need to know that all the parts mentioned below might not be applicable to all songs.

For instance a lot of songs first start with an ALAAP or ADLIB, which means the very beginning of a song which need not be in any fixed time signature, it depends on how the singer wishes to stretch it.
    Papa Kehte Hain does not have an adlib as such (except the speech he gives up front) Typical simple adlibs are like the La Lala lala la laaaa in Mere Angne Mein sung by amitabh. Example of an adlib is the way Kishore Kumar stars Neele Neele Amber in a slow manner.

Then there is the Overture or the Intro music piece, Example of an overture is the start on guitar and drums of Aaja Aaja or Churaliya or Chand Mera Dil.

The MUKHDA or the SIGN means the first section of the song by which the song is identified. In our case the lines Papa Kehte Hain Bada Naam Karega, Beta Hamara Aisa Kaam Karega is the Sign.

The CROSS (I dunno what this is called in Hindi) is generally part of the Mukhda/Sign but variates from the tune, and generally its a part that can reappear in the song as a separate part without being part of the mukhda. In our case the lines Magar Yeh To, Koi Na Jaane, Ke Meri Manzil Hain Kahan is the CROSS.

Then there is the INTERLUDE (again I dunno what you call this in hindi but we musicians refer to it as M1 and M2 and M3 in the sequence it appears in the song). The interludes are pieces of music that appear in between the paragraphs of vocal lines.

The STANZA or ANTRA are the paragraphs that follow the Mukhda after an interlude. In our case the lines are Baitthe Hai Milke, Sab Yaar Apne, Sabke Dilon Mein, Arman Yeh Hai.........till the sign tune reappears.

Then there is the UNDERTURE or Exit music if at all

I guess that explains it?

voyager_avi likes this.
  5. Liquid

Liquid New Member

wow...that actually is an amazing post....really wonderful...

u explained it greatly man...thanks :D...

man i had posted a question in the guitar strumming post...i would really appreciate it if u could answer it....its pretty simple and it will only take like 2 mins...u would really appreciate it...thanks

6. wooooooooooow what a post bb
    well all who liked it should give him good reps i think..............

7. Bandbaaja

thank you thank you

8. Liquid

Liquid New Member

ur welcome ur welcome :D

9. nadish

nadish Active Member

So wats 2/4 and so on... and wat is bar

10. Liquid

Liquid New Member

2 beats...each quarter note gets 1 beat..

im not sure how to explain bar...:S...

( im right with the first thing right? )

11. deathdr_87

deathdr_87 Awesome Guitarist

1.....2........3........ uh... wat comes next?

@tejas - i dont think its got to do nething with the speed - i tihnk its got more to do with the splitting of notes in the beat - u cant split up 6/8 to form a 3/4.. hence thweyre different... (i think - i might be wrong...)

12. SHARU129

SHARU129 New Member

sirs i dont know much bout guitar but im not understandin anythin i know only a few chords that i learnt some how can anyoone plzz teach me u from the beginnin

13. sandra

sandra New Member

plz send the counts

HI
    i have learnt guitar for a period of 8 mnths but after that there have been a gap of 1.5 yrs so i have forgot the exact tab count like 1,2 3,4 ........so if u can help me out with details of that my practice will get a boost . thankypu hope you will surely help me out.........

14. sambitsatpathy

sambitsatpathy New Member

it is great

awesome post BB.... you guys here are my music teachers for indian music. i have read about measures, notations and all stff but in gospel or english music which somehow I can't relate to much.
    Having spent 25 out of my 29 yrs in India, it is hindi music and our heroes with guitars in hand who fueled this mood to pick up the guitar. :p:
    worst part is am unable to find somebody here who can teach about some indian music forms. scales.
    it is for people like you,muktimusic,jay .... i am getting a feeling of indian music for guitar. thank god IGT exists man.
    awful post.
    wishing you all (including our paki members here) happy independence day celebrations.

regds
    sambit

:rule:

15. Bandbaaja

uhhh

Awful????

16. sambitsatpathy

sambitsatpathy New Member

mistake kiya bidu

band baaja bhai....

ustad muaaf kar do... awesome likhne ja raha tha...pat nahin sala kya soch raha tha.. aw ko ful kar diya... maaf kiya ki nahin likhna

:nw:

aap ka homepage dekha...sahi hai...but e-mail id bounce kar raha hai...a good page...created by a professional...and good content....

next time when i'll be in mumbai will invite you for a beer party....it will be on me....

:beer:

hope we can squeeze out some common time....

17. Bandbaaja

:) cheers to that

:beer:

18. darvaish

darvaish New Member

StOpppppppppppppppppppp

Just LeAve this topic is there any one who breif me the lang of guitar in 2/3--8-----3
    in this mode i really want to know this language help me !!!!!!!!!

19. prakash_krin

prakash_krin New Member

Bandbaaja bhai very nice and informative thread

20. mr singh

mr singh New Member

@ Bandbaaja: gr8 post, very helpful 4 the newcomers...
    but according to ur statistics arnt 75.34% of ur posts accurate and 75.33% of statistics made up, does ur intial claim fall under the second category..
    also jus wanted to ask wht significance level u hav represented ur results at? is it the 5% significance level?
    neway once agen, well dun on an informative and important post

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.