1/4th Step Down Tunings ??

Discussion in 'Beginner's Q&A Forum' started by Alfons, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

Hey,
    Anyone here ever heard of 1/4th step down tunings ??
    Need some light on it

Thnx

2. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

I presume it's the same as 1/2 step, 1 step down etc.
    As in if its 1/2 step down, you'll tune all your strings a semitone down ie E to Eb etc.
    1/4th down would mean exactly halfway between E and Eb I guess.
    I really dont see the utility of it since it means you cant play with non-string instruments like piano or horn instruments anymore.
    I remember seeing Guitar MAg tabs for some Pantera songs which said 'tuned between C# and D' or some such.

3. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

HAHA
    I always used to think that such 1/4 th step tuning was due to chance.

Like at college I didnt have a tuner. So it was based on ear/memory. Later when I used to play along some song, I realized that the tuning was somewhere between E and Eb.

But as Abhijit said, I dont see any point doing it, other than show/brag value.

4. Alfons

Alfons C.F.H

@abhi .
    i Do need this for Pantera :p:
    Dimebag keeps his guitar tuned to 1/4th step
    But a query ..What the note between E and Eb ??

5. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

no idea...did he actually look at frequencies to tune his guitar...that could prolly be the way to do it.

6. abhijitnath

abhijitnath Fighting GAS frantically

There is no name for it yaar. Jus use your ears..keep tuning your guitar until it sounds in tune with the actual song:)

7. soulscape777

soulscape777 Oneiric

Alfons i do remember years back i had one of those Guitar magazines in whch the tab. to "Cemetary Gates" had the "1/4" thing..thats done by Pitch Correction rackmounts and advanvced pitch shifting racks made by companies like Eventide,Lexicon,TC Electronics,Peterson and Antares(mainly in the mastering process) or/and if u're lucky yours ears will get u the desired pitch:)) but even a standard 440 works just sprinklie a little whammy abuse and voila you are officially 1/4 step down:))
    Roughly put......a 1/4 step down is -(minus)25 cents below the regular E (440 standardized)so essentially its a microtonal pitch treading a little off the standard note(s).Most good manual tuners will have cent values given beween the pitch values(hertz).But ideally its assigned as a"Global"setting when being used to enhance a certain song's mix.
    So your tuner will help u come close to Dime's tuning on that song but when playing with a band ,use 440.

BTW that transcription is very accurate....we used to do alot of Pantera then :p:

have fun .....cheers :beer:

8. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

It means tune it to anything but have a quarter handy with you :p: :beer: