‘Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin killed by a stingray barb

Discussion in 'The ChitChat Lounge' started by lord_neo, Sep 4, 2006.

1. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

Steve Irwin, the quirky Australian naturalist who won worldwide acclaim as TV's khaki-clad "Crocodile Hunter", was killed by a stingray barb through the chest on Monday while diving off the country's northeast coast.

Witnesses and emergency officials said the freak accident happened while Irwin, 44, was filming an underwater documentary off Port Douglas in northern Queensland.

"Steve was hit by a stingray in the chest," said local diving operator Steve Edmondson, whose Poseidon boats were out on the Great Barrier Reef when the accident occurred.

A helicopter rushed paramedics to nearby Low Isles where Irwin was taken for treatment, but he was dead before they arrived, police said.

"He probably died from a cardiac arrest from the injury," Edmondson said.

Fellow-Australian wildlife filmmaker David Ireland said he was shocked and saddened by Irwin's death, adding that a stingray's barb could be as deadly as a rifle bayonet.

"They have one or two barbs in the tails which are not only coated in toxic material but are also like a bayonet, like a bayonet on a rifle," he told Southern Cross Broadcasting radio.

"If it hits any vital organs it's as deadly as a bayonet," Ireland said.

Known around the world for his catchphrase "Crikey" during close encounters with wild animals, Irwin made almost 50 documentaries which appeared on the cable TV channel Animal Planet. He became a virtual global industry generating books, interactive games and even toy action figures.

Grew up with reptiles

Born on Feb. 22, 1962, in the southern Australian city of Melbourne, Irwin moved to tropical Queensland where his parents ran a small reptile and fauna park. He grew up near crocodiles, trapping and removing them from populated areas and releasing them in his parent's park. He took over the park in 1991 and renamed it the "Australia Zoo".

Irwin became famous for his seemingly death-defying skill with wild animals, including crocodiles and snakes.

Irwin met his US-born wife Terri at the zoo and the footage of their honeymoon -- which they spent trapping crocodiles -- formed the basis of his first "Crocodile Hunter"
    documentary.

Later shows had a worldwide audience of 200 million, or 10 times the population of Australia.

Terri became Irwin's business partner and frequent on-screen collaborator. They had two children, Bindi Sue and Bob Clarence.

News of Irwin's death shocked ordinary Australians, while government and opposition lawmakers rushed to issue statements of condolence within two hours of the first reports of his death.

Queensland Tourism Minister Margaret Keech told Sky Television. "It's a dreadful loss for the tourism industry and for nature conservation.

"Everybody who met Steve was impressed with his energy and his enthusiasm, he was a real Aussie larrikin," she said. Irwin won a global following for his dare-devil antics but also triggered outrage in 2004 by holding his then one-month-old son while feeding a snapping crocodile at his Australian zoo.

The Crocodile Hunter series ended after he was criticised for the incident with his young son and also for allegedly disturbing whales, seals and penguins while filming in Antarctica.

Irwin boasted that he had never been bitten by a venomous snake or seriously bitten by a crocodile, although admitted his worst injuries had been inflicted by parrots.

"I don't know what it is with parrots but they always bite me," Irwin once said. "A cockatoo once tried to rip the end of my nose off. I don't know what they've got against me."

2. real_illusions

real_illusions Clapton Is GOD

truly sad. was an awesome guy. the crocodile hunter movie was one of my favs.

3. Iraqita_EP

Iraqita_EP New Member

Crikey!!!!!

4. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

Tis shocking .. He was one hell of a guy .. He took bravery too far ..

RIP

5. POM

POM New Member

thats sad. i used to watch his shows on tv. by the way whats a stingray?

6. notty_lad

notty_lad sudo undress

^Google really doesn't do much publicity .. They suck

7. AceRoom

AceRoom Future Grammy Winner

R U SERIOUS?!?!?!? U r kidding...Right?

8. AceRoom

AceRoom Future Grammy Winner

Checked on google...
    CURSE YOU STUPID STINGRAY!!!!
    And CURSE THE MEDIA!!!

9. sanju_strings

sanju_strings 50 Pai$e <3V/S<3 50 CeNt$

his daughter is all set to take place dun wrry ;)

but a gr8 loss for sure

10. cumming soon

cumming soon Banned

wasnt he the guy who put his babies head inside a crocs mouth?
    freak

11. erutu

erutu terminally awesome

No it wasn't him. He was just holding his baby while feeding the croc.

12. Ibanezed

Ibanezed New Member

sad one! he was on the edge on every doc u ever did ..so this could have happened anytime!

13. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

Cool, his face was kinda annoying.

14. Ibanezed

Ibanezed New Member

^ like john wright?

15. cumming soon

cumming soon Banned

wish he looked like chappel

16. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

It's one of the Most Heart Breaking news of my life... I am the best fan of that fearless hero in IGT. I heard the news pretty late. No one would be able to fill up his space and I am sure, we are gonna miss him....Australia Zoo will miss him, the world is gonna miss him..Goodbye Steve..
    May his soul R.I.P.
    God bless his soul.....

17. g0g0l

g0g0l ! SpAm

@Ibanez
    It may be a joke for you, but not for me.. Please do not hurt someone's feelings...

18. lord_neo

lord_neo Guest

Ibanezed@ You want to be banned? I can make it happen.

19. rohit

rohit New Member

NICE REPLY LORD NEO.
    REALLY SAD THIS KIND OF THING HAPPENED.I WAS A GREAT FAN OF HIS.

20. zero

zero New Member

very sad n pathetic....and that too caz of a stingray which rarely a threat to humans...............a great loss of a good environmentalist!!!!!!