Zoom G3

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by shubhamAT, Mar 13, 2012.

1. shubhamAT

shubhamAT New Member

Hi All,

I got a Zoom G3 last week from Guitar Store India for ~12700 with shipping. The device is pretty intuitive to use and quite rugged in construction. Since i am a beginner i can't really say how it fares with other pedals but the tones are better than the previous two i have had in the past (Zoom 500 MkII and Korg AX100G). The Metal type tone one can get are also better than my Spider 15's Metal and Insane channels. Although there are only 3 slots available on it, i use the Reverb/Tape Echo from Spider so it frees one slot. Apart from this i have a Behringer US600 which i plan to use in chain with the G3 for pitch shifting. The pitch shift effect on G3 always mixes the shifted and original signal so it's no good if you want a dropped/raised tuning.

This has been my experience so far with the gadget. If any one of you have the same do share your patch settings.

2. sDEVs

sDEVs Inventor

Good, I have a Zoom G2. Whats the new addition in this one?

3. shubhamAT

shubhamAT New Member

This one has a different UI. It has 3 Slots with 1 LCD screen and 3 knobs each. Each slot acts an individual pedal. You can assign one of the 90+ virtual pedals to each of these slots and individually turn on/off these slots. One can control parameters (gain, level, presence etc) of each slot with the 3 knobs. Many pedals have more than 3 params which are accessed through a page button. Thus, what you get is a 3 pedal chain. G3 still has patches in the traditional sense except instead of building a patch with drive/modulation/delay/reverb etc one builds a patch by choosing pedals. It has slots for 100 patches from A0-J9. Apart from this it has a tuner which supports alternate tunings, a drum machine (only tempo and pattern can be adjusted) and a looper (haven't used it yet).

Zoomg3.jpg

IMO G3 has the most intuitive interface. Lets see how many on IGT get this pedal.

4. sDEVs

sDEVs Inventor

wow!!! looks nice. The G2 has a problem that you can while playing only shift between efects, but volume, reverb etc cant be added. The buttons are too small to be used with ur feet. This looks good. looks Like a roland processor. Good...

5. shubhamAT

shubhamAT New Member

Ya you can adjust the volume etc on the fly. Also there is a patch volume control for each patch so that when switching patches the volume does not increase/decrease.

6. sDEVs

sDEVs Inventor

Hmm good, now that I have G2, can I upgrade it by adding a pedal seperatly?

7. guitarplayer729

guitarplayer729 New Member

great processor man
    but can it only work 3 pedals at once

8. guitarplayer729

guitarplayer729 New Member

by the way
    did anyone check out the zoom g5
    check it out at zoom.co.jp

9. shubhamAT

shubhamAT New Member

@sDEVs: U will have to trade your G2 for a new G3. Its an upgrade worth your bucks. Or you can get a G3 and retain your G2.
    @guitarplayer729: For beginner to intermediate 3 pedals can be too much :). Some of the pedals are combo ones such as Compressor + Overdrive so you can have upto 4 pedals. U still can put more pedals in chain with G3 or another G3 (for six effects).

ON G5 yes it has more features with upto 9 pedals. It's out in May 2012 and expected price may be $350. G3 retails for $199 on Amazon/Sweetwater. If one can afford and has a use case for G5 i will say go for it. For me, down the line i may add one more pedal to my chain and that can be an AMT Metalizer but this will be only when my skills justify the investment.

I am waiting for some PRO on IGT to review G3 for all of us. Worldwide G3 has got very good reviews and i am eager to see what our bros here have to say about it.

10. sDEVs

sDEVs Inventor

Thanks SHUBHAM

11. shubhamAT

shubhamAT New Member

Are you getting one ?

12. sDEVs

sDEVs Inventor

No, not now... Right now I m in a hunt for a good Acoustic Guitar... You can view my post in the same Forum about it... See if you can guide me in it too...

13. shubhamAT

shubhamAT New Member

Ok. On acoustics i have owned a Yamaha F310 (costs about 7k) and loved it. Apart from that i saw one more expensive one which had a curved back, don't remember the make but it was 18k. That is all i can say about acoustics.

14. sDEVs

sDEVs Inventor

ok, ok. the search is going on. t truth is out there...

15. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Why don't you record and upload some stuff?
    Just do direct recording (and please don't use any speakers cabinets microphones etc)

16. shubhamAT

shubhamAT New Member

I am no good :( . Will still try to upload something Is there a pvt video sharing site ?

17. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Video?
    Not required - unless you have a female stripping in the video.

For audio, you can upload on soundclick etc.

18. shubhamAT

shubhamAT New Member

LOL. Just did a video with a digicam. I don't have the cable(s) right now to hook G3 to comp.

19. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Shubham, that doesn't solve the purpose.

1. We don't know which amp / speakers you are using - amp and speakers color the natural tones of the equipment.
    2. We don't know the fidelity of the microphone of your digicam (with respect to frequency response across the spectrum).

By plugging the processor directly into the PC (using audio/USB/etc cable) you bypass everything, and record the actual processor sound.

20. shubhamAT

shubhamAT New Member

As i had said i don't have the right cables (USB or a 6.3mm-3.5mm audio) to attach the G3. I will check if my printer's USB cable will fit in the G3. BTW, i have a Line6 SPider IV 15 which i use to add some reverb. Let me try again. Will keep you guys posted.