zero - hook review

Discussion in 'Music Reviews, Albums, Biography etc' started by rocking_devil, Aug 29, 2005.

1. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

hey all though a long time after the release, just if anyone wants to re think over it! :nw: :nw:
    ZERO -- HOOK ep

Blues Traveller meets Bare-Naked Ladies in a glorious mishmash of unbridled happiness. That is the immediate yet strangely lasting impression one gathers when listening to the magic of Mumbai rock stalwarts, Zero on their EP, Hook. Through all eight tracks there isn't a single moment when I was able unable to veer my ever-distracted mind away from their heart-felt strains.

Not My Kind Of Girl, they say and you listen relating to every word and every note. Makes you want to rush out, find that ex you never really liked, sit her down, hand her those earphones and sit by and smile as she takes in every succinct word and gets the message. This track has a very alternative pop-rock twang to it. Then you encounter a total contrast with Lost. Some very mature music written here with Warren on playing some tremendous 'feel' leads. Stirring up long locked away emotions within me I find it extremely hard to say ‘goodbye' to this song.

Talking about leads though, Mr. Warren Mendonsa is one of the only guitarists whom I have heard who can nurse a tone out of his instrument that sounds like it has been taken straight out of a Joe Satriani album without taking any credit away from the former. This is more than evident in both Spitleaf and Christmas In July which rings in your mind till up to an hour after you've turned your music system off. Some strains of funk can be heard on PSP 12" till it lapses into its vocally challenging hard rock chorus. The slap pop on the bass is worth a heck of a lot more than just a mention. One word - ****ing awesome (so that's two, sue me).

For me the most enjoyable song on the EP will have to be Lucy with its fleeting changes, both in mood and music. Redolent of Extreme with a Rage Against the Machine riff thrown in, it’s finger licking good. Rajeev's vocals are really put to the test here with some pretty complex time signatures. The album wraps up with a lazy guitar piece (Lijo) with some Latin-jazz influence and an acoustic reprise of Not My Kind Of Girl, showcasing the vocal talents of drummer Siddharth Coutto, cry on wench.

Some tremendously sublime music forms the substance of this album, which seems to reach out to the listener reminiscent of Don McLean or Norah Jones. I cannot review Hook without failing to mention that it was recorded completely in Warren's home studio with the drums being recorded with a drum-programming machine, both of which are accomplishments in themselves. So if you are happy, sad and especially if you have just broken up with your girlfriend, this is definitely something you will thoroughly enjoy.

2. Nanda

Nanda Bassist

Hey its a nice album .. mayb it wont appeal to metal heads .. ahv heard a few songs from the album LONG BACK..
    Wasn't a song called spitindia ???

Nice one ...
    It was recorded in home comp with fruity loops right ?

3. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Loops.. I dunno...
    It was recorded at home, with programmed drums...

Tho any of Zero's songs sounds much better live, but now with Sanjay, something's missing...

BTW, I still can't get Christmas In July (SITAR VERSION) out of my head... Fukin Ravi Chari RULES!!!

Waiting for someone to review Procrastination

@nanda = Maybe the song you're looking for is Spitleaf

4. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Dude..u got a sitaar varsion???...mail it to me ASAP
    nice review Rocking.
    yeah...Hooks' an awesome album ...Christmas in July Spitleaf, PSP,Lucy rip...i mean its much better than any of those cheapo crappy albums coming outl.
    So next time sacrifise ur daler mehendi and buy Hook ...u wont regret it.

5. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

^^^ THe sitar version was only heard live @ I-Rock...

I do hope they record it... Chari owned Jospeh's ass!!

6. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

^^hehehe yeah.....ravi chary rulez.......that small intro loy mendosa n ravi charry played was awsome......and i used to talk things against sitar!:rock:

7. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

u read warren has a home studio??.....like wow......if i had one ......i wud spend my whole time recordingt things n filling indian rock section!

8. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Warren's Warren...

If I had a home studio, I would not fill up the Indian Rock Section...
    Instead, I would get you and maybe 2-3 more guys in, program the drums and make some music... record covers which we could do really well, and some of the lame originals I've thought of... and send a demo tape so that we could play gigs.

Dream big baby... it never hurts, it only acts as the fuel to give you the spurt...

Fuk that rhymed!

9. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

hehe.....good thought!

10. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

yeah..asmo, y not go9 ahead..im rooting for u.

11. wotsuhthedeal

wotsuhthedeal New Member

Desperate!

Hey!

I'm not particularly Indian...but I am madly in love with the Zero songs I have heard so far! I found them on www.mp3.com in 2001 or 2002 and they had most of their music up there for listen. I remembering having a couple of their songs on my old computer, but I no longer have that computer. But luckily I had sent them to a friend and he recently sent them back to me, so my infatuation for Zero has sparked again. I know that "Hook" is a self-released album (not sure if this info is updated). I was wondering how I could get a copy of the album somehow? I tried searching Amazon but no avail...soooooo yeah. I'd really appreciate some feedback! THANKS!

12. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

I'm not sure whether you'll find Hook on the shelves of any music store...
    Come for any Zero gigs and get the album yourself, but then again, I think Hook is out of stock... so buy the new one, Procrastination...

As for Hook, ask for it from some friend...

Which reminds me... any1 over here has Zero's first album, "Albummed"???

13. rocking_devil

rocking_devil Banned

asmo yaar, she is from toronto....so i think demon dada can ship a copy to her!:grin:

14. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Hmm... I didn't notice that...

15. the_wizard

the_wizard Omega == God

Welcome :)

as asmodeus said "Hook" might not be available on the shelves anywhere.
    uca n try P2P's....or try contacting the band themselves....maybe Asmodeus or rocking_devil or Demonstealer can help u with that.

16. rock_since1901

rock_since1901 New Member

Zero!!!

jus came home after attending one of Zero's promotional tour for Procastination... these guys rock!!! they weren't sellin Hook !!! jus Tee's and Procastination CDs...
    i luved the song which goes like... 'Standing by standing by...' awesome song ... if any of u guys hav it pls send it to me on [SNIP]... pls guys...

17. Asmodeus

Asmodeus New Member

Hahaha.. welcome to the world of the Paunch Shaking Paunch, Teri Ma song...

Better known as PSP 12'...

18. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

LOL^^well said

19. rock_since1901

rock_since1901 New Member

ohh... so do u hav PSP 12"... man, i'd appreciate if u cud mail it to me.. pls...

20. jekyll

jekyll Banned

send a PM to me .. emailing your address ...