Your top pick - Bass Guitarist

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by jackdaws, Sep 15, 2004.

1. jackdaws

jackdaws New Member

Guys who would rate as an awesome bassist...in my opinion the top 5 are

1) Flea - Red Hot Chilli Peppers
    2) Jason Newsted - Mettalica
    3) Steve Harris - Iron Maiden
    4) Ian Hill - Judas Priest
    5) Adam Clayton - U2

2. tejas

tejas ..........

My top five
    1. Flea - Red hot chilli peppers (by far the best)
    2. David Ellefson - Megadeth
    3. Jason Newsted - Metallica
    4. Sam Rivers - Limp Bizkit (i think thats what his name is)
    5. Sam Lofeller - Chevelle or the Seether Guy, don't know his name.

3. sayanakaharry

sayanakaharry Forum Leader

ahem

stu hamm who plays with satch is the best any day

4. jayanth

jayanth <.: : Call Quits : :.>

Stu Hamm - Jason NEwsted - Cliff Burton - David Effelson - Flea - Bodom Guy..

5. esgallindeion

esgallindeion Minstrel Knight

Hmmm....

1. Steve Harris
    2. Sean Malone
    3. Cliff Burton
    4. Jason Newstead/Billy Sheehan
    5. John Myung

Other greats... Victor Wooten, Dave Holland, John Patitucci, Jeff Berlin...

6. esgallindeion

Ya, and flea.

7. jayanth

Forgot Jaco Pastorius..

8. jackdaws

jackdaws New Member

hmm i guess i should have thought about this before but Billy Sheehan should probably figure in the top 5...maybe replace Ian Hill or Adam Clayton i guess..

9. esgallindeion

ya, sheehan does deserve...

Funny how no one else apart from the two of us thought of mentioning steve harris.

10. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

I love steve harris.. not just as a bass player, but as a man who created a great band and stuck to playing bass, holding the band together through such a long time.
    I've also seen Billy Sheehan play live, playing with at the G3 show - hes just amazing!

11. jackdaws

jackdaws New Member

Thats true...steve harris is a great person for just holding iron maiden intact...wow it must have been a great experience to see billy play with the others man...great...

12. jayanth

Myung is someone i forgot and even Billy Sheenan.. Especially his work on Moonbabies..

13. JUDAS_666

JUDAS_666 Member

huhu haha...... jason newstead's on the list of best bass guitarists. I say in couple of months even i'll play better than him........he is nothing in compRISION TO LATE CLIFF BURTON. MAN, JUST COMPARE THE GROOVES OF EACH!

14. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

Paul McCartney has played some kick ass bass for Beatles.. (and he sang while playing!)

15. jason newsted s role in METALLICA was subdued and he didnt even have that many song credits....
    have u seen him playin in any of the live dvds or vcds??
    cliff had more say in the band musically ...so his playin was more vocal than newsteds...
    if u really want to criticise other ppls lists y dont u just see the list of best guitarists u made and read people flaming it...

16. ananth222

ananth222 Beginner

u hit the nail on the head! ;)

17. JUDAS_666

JUDAS_666 Member

aha...u guys have taken an oath to put me down or what? why r u guys always after my opinion. and, if u can include 'flea' and 'jason ' or 'rob' on the list why can't i include curt?I don't think Flea does fall on the top 5 guitarist of any sane ratings. Yeah, I like him and his funky riffs/licks but i don't think his bass-lines are of any classic
    sort. one thing most of you have misunderstood is that being hard to play does not necessarily mean the song is good, simple to even simpler songs outstand those so-called toughies. Can you say that 'brown eyed girl' or 'leaving on a jet plane' inferior to 'bloody roots'(sepulura) just becoz of the difficulty? think abt it and think carefully before u criticize anybody or post anything.

18. ^^^ u win..

19. guns n roses

guns n roses Pro Guitarist

Ian Hill :rock:
    Cliff Burton (i dont like Jason newsted as much hes cool n everything tho)
    Duff Mckagan (after GN'R when he joined VR he wrote Set Me Free, Sucker Train Blues and a few others hes gotten better)
    Flea - Gotta love him
    cant get anyone else thru my heaD right now.

20. wolfblitz

wolfblitz New Member

man this thread is weird
    no steve di giorgio on the lists