your fav. scale

Discussion in 'Music Talk' started by taxyse, May 23, 2005.

1. taxyse

taxyse t3h.

everybody has a scale he/she likes the most...or is emotionally attached to it...
    almost all the guitarists tend to churn out their solos frm that particular scale only....

for eg. yngwie used the hamronic minor scale...

well ...for me....this minor scale itself is good enough....(neways...all the songs i compose...almost naturally have a minor root..)...
    but lately i found another scale i rate better than this......the augmented fifth scale...dint get to try it on in ne composition....but sure sounds cool.....
    all of u must have heard a verrry good example of this scale....listen to the slash solo of 'sweet child o mine'... (an F# augmented fifth scale)

so which scale is it fer u??

2. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

mine is phrygian dominant ... actually a slight modification to that scale ... sounds awfully exotic ...
    for normal blitzkreig on guitar i prefer using modified blues scale ...

3. taxyse

taxyse t3h.

well ...i think the phrygian dominant is actually not a scale ....but a 'mode'....aint it??

4. jackdaws

jackdaws New Member

i love the e minor pentatonic scale

5. tejas

tejas ..........

I don't know many scales, but I've made a cool lick in Harmonic minor. So maybe you call that my favourite scale.

6. dennis

dennis The Bhangra King

Harmonic Minor...love that egyptian spund
    Pentatonics- They got max feel(for me)

7. ssslayer

ssslayer Banned

hmmm correct
    it is 5th mode of harmonic minor ... but as i said ...
    i play a slight modification to it ...
    u play all the notes of phrygian dom ... the last note (7th) ... sharpen it ...
    u'll get that even more exotic sound ... i guess Marty Friedman has used that kinda stuff in some of his Solo albums ...

but honestly i didn't copy it from him ... i was playing this long b4 i ever heard him ...

8. ronnieanand

ronnieanand n00bier th@n th0u

I like A Natural Minor a lot for whatever reasons. Maybe it just appeals to me. I like Phrygian progressions.and Phrygian Scales as well. Yeah Phrygian Mode but you can also look at them as separate scales.

9. shak

shak Harrr!

pentas!! .. just love them ... cuz i can swing from blue to rock without sounding crap .. but to be honest guys ... i dunno how many of you will agree... but when i am really playing ma guitar (with my eyes closed and my shoulder right upto my ear ... hehe get it?? .. yeah when i am really into it)... most of the time i forget about the scales and all the bull**** .. i just let my fingers go free .... i just dont feel comfortable playing with scales and modes etc.

10. taxyse

taxyse t3h.

yeah....it goes on unanimously....guitarists live and die by the pentas

11. JAZZ

JAZZ New Member

i like Minor n Majors......n chromatics....

12. artmyxolydian

artmyxolydian New Member

myxolydian mode!

13. taxyse

taxyse t3h.

well when it comes to modes...my fav. are locrian,the sinister...and phrygin the spanish