Yet another Tulsi question ?

Discussion in 'Guitar Gear Talk Forum' started by TheDevil, Nov 19, 2006.

1. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

Ok so I ordered a guitar with tulsi ...Its a Hardtail Dimebag shaped guitar...and he quoted 13k for it and said he's Using POPLAR as the wood and Gave the option of Indian Mahogany for 1k more.Moreover he said hed only do natural finishes on the Mahogany Body and no sunburst.(I felt he didnt like using Mahogany)
    Now after going through Warmoth and Edroman Wood guides it says Poplar is akin to alder tonally and Honduran or African Mahogany has a Dark tone.
    Is Indian Mahogany equal to Honduran Mahogany tonally or would I end up paying for something which he refuses to paint to the color of my choice and would end up sounding like a wet plank of plywood ?

2. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Well-Known Member

Indian mahogany isn't bad wood. But you can never know if he's using low-grade Indian mahogany. Same with the poplar. I'm not implying that he will use low grade wood.
    If you like the mahogany tone go for it. I guess either one is better than teak (especially because of the weight - mahogany is lighter than alder)

3. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

Heres is what he said about the finish

1)Dear **,

Our price is very reasonable,If donot need mahogoney wood price less Rs 1000/-but you asked tobaco burst its not sutable for mahogoney wood.courier charge is roughly Rs 800/-

Thanks,
    T. Venkoba Sha
    K.S.G. INDUSTRIES
    11 ARUNACHALA NAICKEN STREET
    CHINTADRIPET
    CHENNAI - 600002

I asked him what would be suitable and he replied in a vague sense...

2)Dear **,

Mahogany wood sutable for natural finish and transpernt stain colours

Thanks

What the Hell is Transparent stain colour ???

4. thehundredthone

A clear finish I guess.
    The mahogany tobacco burst guitars, eg PRS, Gibson LP have a maple top. Search on google, maybe you can find info on why mahogany is not suitable for a tobacco burst.

Eh? Meherdad?

5. zing

zing Machine Head

mahogany is reddish brown which is why he says its not suitable for a sunburst - transparent stain i guess is a thin coat of color that allows the wood finish to be seen thru the paint

a mahogany solid body will give a good tone & sustain - i'v attached a sound sample of my gat which is a 2" mahogany solid back with 0.25" maple top [the maple is whitish which imo is wht allows u to get a sunburst finish]

Attached Files:

6. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

Dude, ppl here will kill me for saying this BUT:
    You tone depends on following things in decreasing precedence:
    - Speakers
    - Amps
    - Pickups
    - Playing techinque
    - Guitar wood

DEcide for yourself, which is YOUR order of preferance.

7. zing

zing Machine Head

imo it's like - clothes cant make a woman pretty if the body aint rite ;)
    so its ur guitar wood thts most imp, also whther its solid/hollow [u hav 2 find a balance b/w tone & weight]
    then comes
    - Pickups
    - Amps
    - Speakers
    - Playing technique pretty much goes w/o saying

jocelyn likes this.
  8. alpha1

alpha1 I BLUES!

c'mon man, don't use the Weak Analogy fallacy here.
    :p:

What you said might be closer to reality for an acouistic guitar. But electric guitar has become a different beast.

9. nebuchadnezzar

nebuchadnezzar G34r G33k

The way a guitar sounds and responds also depends on scale length and neck joint type, to add to that list.

There are some (usually low output)pickups which will allow the guitars natural sound to come through, while many will impose their own colouring onto your tone.

IMO, if the wood feels resonant,and acoustically the guitar sounds good with decent sustain, you're ok.Each wood will give its own flavour to the sound, but in the huge chain of factors influencing the overall tone, it is most likely to be lost.

jocelyn likes this.
  10. thehundredthone

The amp definitely colours the sound the most. There is absolutely no doubt about that.
    I think the wood and pickups are equally important. Shit wood can screw good pickups and vice versa.
    Everything else won't be noticed much by most of us n00b guitarists :p:

11. radicalz_adi

radicalz_adi New Member

thats right wood really effects the quality of tone

12. laneymaney

laneymaney Banned

whats the best wood for metal/rock/alternative?

13. thehundredthone

basswood/alder/agathis :p:

Lets not forget balsa. Excellently light, it's like paper mache.

@TheDevil: Aren't there many dimebag models... some by Washburn, some by Dean, etc. Which one exactly did you ask for?

14. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

Isnt mahogany supposed to be the holy grail wood for Metal ?

@thehundredthone
    The Dean Dimebag from Hell
    https://www.zzounds.com/item--DNEDFH

Only difference is the Scale length and instead of the whammy I opted for a Tunomatic Bridge.

15. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Mahogany is not lighter than alder NO WAY. For metal Mahogany will work better. Mahogany will also have awarmer tone (not necssarily dark).
    Hey devil where do you live? I honestly wont even bother to make a custom guitar out of Poplar. Poplar is nicew but it is mostly used for amking PROTOTYPES. ( get the message). Edromans website is nice and quite intresting... I cant say much abouth Indian MAhogany but I gues it should be ok., but not as good as Honuran mahogany.. Albertos will also offer you wood choices

16. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

I talked to One Mr.Dias on the phone.He seemed to be quite uninterested and pretty uninviting, if I might add so.After making me spell out the entire specs over the phone down to the last detail, he said I should go down there and talk to him personally.I find that quite inconvienent as its a 1.5 to 2 hour journey from my home in Vikhroli to his shop in khar.

17. thehundredthone

@TheDevil: :shock: It was a joke! Not a very good one at that but all the same. Now don't ask me to explain.

@jocelyn: Yep, my bad. Dunno where I thought I'd read that. :eek::

18. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

@ Devil I belive you..that is Mr Dias.. he is always like that..he gets dozens of people calling him to make guitar..most of them just inquire and dont make. even if u go down to him he would most probably behve in the same manner.. But his work is TOP NOTCH... Also he is in Malad not Khar...
    Dias has worked on my vintage accoustic many 2-3 times for diff jobs once for a crack on the sound board adn once on the badly wraped neck and has done a good job. You need to meet him in person ( HIGHLY RECOMENDED). Since u are at Vikhroli why not try Peter Perrira? Another thing I can assure you about Albertos they hate to compromise.

19. TheDevil

TheDevil Ruler of Hell

Peter Pereira is also good I hear but his problem is that he just gives you a waiting time forever its something like minimum 6 months and maximum 1 year :O

Ok ill try visitng albertos this saturday.........Could you PM me your name or sumthing he knows you by, so I could refer you and not be thought of as just another rate asking vanishing guy, whome he hates I suppose.

@thehundredthone... LOL which joke and where?

20. jocelyn

jocelyn New Member

Ok he does not know me by name. He knows me by face..and that to because of my accoustic ( he is quite fond of it). Dont call him Mr. Dias call him Salu. You may not meet Salu, but you could also meet his assitant Paul (Paul is tall and slim).
    Ask him questions, he will also give u choice of pickups, ask him what do u suggest ext.